New riots in Rochester

Here is what I see as the problem.

First, none of us was there. There must have been some threat if the family felt the need to call the police. Make that phone call, and all bets are off, the police will respond with whatever force they feel is appropriate to get the situation under control. Maybe it's not right, but that is how it usually works.

If the child that was sprayed with pepper spray was another skin color (because, contrary to what the media tells you, police issue beatdowns & pepper spray to lighter skinned, unruly people also) would that be a justified reason to riot & steal? Or is it only acceptable when dark skinned people get a beating? Bottom line- the majority of rioters could care less about this girl; they are just looking for an excuse to loot & destroy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

And , if they Chose to manhandle her instead , they would rebuked for that too, perhaps worse if it got out of hand. Sounds to me as it was a tough situation all around , and cops were in—as they often are— a “damned if they do / damned if they don’t “ kind of situation . Being a cop is tough , for sure , no doubt about it . 

Why would they have to manhandle a 9 year old handcuffed girl?   That shouldn’t be the other option. We arent taking about a grown man.  Like i said earlier.  A 9 year old might not listen to you. But if 3 adult police officers can’t make a handcuffed little girl sit in the back of their car, then we have bigger problems.   Id place every penny I have that me and you could put a handcuffed 9 year old girl in the back of a car with little to no resistance.  “I dont wanna go. I want to... (SLAMMED DOOR)”.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Why would they have to manhandle a 9 year old handcuffed girl?   That shouldn’t be the other option. We arent taking about a grown man.  Like i said earlier.  A 9 year old might not listen to you. But if 3 adult police officers can’t make a handcuffed little girl sit in the back of their car, then we have bigger problems.   Id place every penny I have that me and you could put a handcuffed 9 year old girl in the back of a car with little to no resistance.  “I dont wanna go. I want to... (SLAMMED DOOR)”.  

I don’t know , I wasn’t there same as you . You’re kissing my point . I’m saying that they were In a no win situation. That’s all 

1 minute ago, Northcountryman said:

I don’t know , I wasn’t there same as you . You’re kissing my point . I’m saying that they were In a no win situation. That’s all 

Thats where I will disagree with you.  I don’t  think it was a no win situation.  I’d like to believe that our LEO have some better tactics in between asking her to get her legs in the car and pepper spraying her.  We can agree to disagree on that.   

51 minutes ago, crappyice said:

This is a child...they are adults.

How you raise your child within your home is your prerogative (to some extent). How the public helps to raise your child has greater limits - and they should.

If she was restrained (I did not watch the videos) she is no longer a threat and the cop was “teaching her a lesson” ...pure speculation on my part as to his motive.

If an adult “taught my kid a lesson” I would be next to need to be pepper sprayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely.   If this was my kid, after I was done dealing with my child I would deal with the adult that pepper sprayed them.   End of story.  

I'm in Rochester. Based on a lot of prior events (including the handling of the Prude incident), we now have a team of Mental Health Professionals who should be deployed rather than the police for mental health calls. They weren't in this case because the initial call that came in to dispatch was about a stolen car. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, left field said:

The troubled nine year old disobeyed lawful orders? 

That kid is not troubled.  That kid is trouble.

I tend to doubt that kid is only 9 years old.  Don't think older kids haven't claimed that to avoid the law in the past.

Yes, even juveniles are required by law to obey lawful orders from the police.  Would you prefer they were excluded from that law?  At what age do they need to start complying with lawful orders?

This is why gang bangers recruit young kids to do their dirty work and drug running for them.  I wouldn't doubt that girl would've shot one of those cops if she had a chance to.

Edited by Grouse

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

That kid is not troubled.  That kid is trouble.

I tend to doubt that kid is only 9 years old.  Don't think older kids haven't claimed that to avoid the law in the past.

Yes, even juveniles are required by law to obey lawful orders from the police.  Would you prefer they were excluded from that law?  At what age do they need to start complying with lawful orders?

This is why gang bangers recruit young kids to do their dirty work and drug running for them.  I wouldn't doubt that girl would've shot one of those cops if she had a chance to.

Good advice. That girl should be in jail and the key should be thrown away. 

You still manage to surprise me @Grouse I sure am happy you are not in charge of anything. 

Edited by BowmanMike

Crazy, I have 2 girls ages 7 and 10 and I just cant understand why the policemen did not just reach into the car grab the girl by the shoulder or leg and yank her into the middle of the car and slam the doors shut. Defending yourself to the public or in court against grabbing the girl and pulling her into the car is far easier than defending yourself about using pepper spray on a 9 year old girl that was handcuffed and was already 3/4 of the way into the car. I'm sure by the point of pepper spray the cops where growing tired of her antics and got frustrated but it seems like they completely missed a step in the escalation of force.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Thats where I will disagree with you.  I don’t  think it was a no win situation.  I’d like to believe that our LEO have some better tactics in between asking her to get her legs in the car and pepper spraying her.  We can agree to disagree on that.   

Yes , I’m afraid we’ll have to.  My feeling is  They would be criticized no matter what they did , considering today’s political climate 

42 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I'm in Rochester. Based on a lot of prior events (including the handling of the Prude incident), we now have a team of Mental Health Professionals who should be deployed rather than the police for mental health calls. They weren't in this case because the initial call that came in to dispatch was about a stolen car. 

Really , who stole a car ?