Care to guess what made this track ?

Water Rat

A river otter is one animal that I have never seen, in all of my travels hunting and fishing on the North American  continent...I have seen fresh tracks on local trout streams, and one day while trout fishing my partner, who was a couple of hundred yards upstream of me, had one swim right past him...I have seen fishers, martens, wolverines, and wolves  in the wild, but never an otter..

We've had otters on the farm for years. There is a large creek fed swamp, with some fairly deep holes. That is where we always see them. Got a couple stands in that area, and seeing them out there, usually in early bow season, is always a highlight of the day! Otters are in my opinion, the coolest critters we have around here. 

16 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Take a bow.....you are correct.

Otters are cool animals.  Ive seen a few over the years while trout fishing. One time, one kept swimming past me , back and forth, over and over--I think-- to see what I was doing .  Cute little shit but screwed up my fishing cuz I'm sure he scared the fish away!!  Theyre inquisitive creatures, for sure.

18 hours ago, mowin said:

Any pics of the otter?  Only seen one in the wild, and that was in Maine. 

No photos but I had a couple mounted years ago. They usually travel in groups so it’s best to gang set for them.... unless you only want to trap one. Their fun to trap. Very cool critters but bobcats are still my favorite .

4579FD7D-4F04-4FF8-AF23-B6A0AA0068F5.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

No photos but I had a couple mounted years ago. They usually travel in groups so it’s best to gang set for them.... unless you only want to trap one. Their fun to trap. Very cool critters but bobcats are still my favorite .

4579FD7D-4F04-4FF8-AF23-B6A0AA0068F5.jpeg

Neat critters.   The one I seen in Maine was sliding down a snowbank into a creek.