Stuff To Do Around Whiteface/Lake Placid

Splitear

My wife is meeting her boss up at Whiteface tomorrow, and wants me and our 2 year old daughter to come along. I am happy to just get out of the house for a little while. Does anyone have any experience up in that area and can suggest some fun activities for a toddler? I'm thinking about renting some snowshoes (never tried it) and putting Ellie in my hiking carrier, but that will probably only be for a couple of hours. Any advice would be appreciated!

When the boys were little, we would always take them to Santa's Workshop just outside Lake Placid.  Also, just walking through town and enjoying the shops and eateries was always fun. But not sure how all that is now, due to Covid-19 restrictions. Pretty sure there will be some ice fishers out on the lake. You could always walk out to see what they are catching? I had an aunt who lived up there, and always enjoyed visiting the area.

• Like 2

Tubing !  I used to take our kids when they were little to a small ski area an hour away that had tubing slopes. We had a blast doing that !  A two year old is small . She would have to ride with you . Or in some places maybe not be allowed . But most ski areas that have tubing runs have some kiddie tube slopes for the whole family.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/adirondacks/2015/11/adirondacks_snow_tube_tubing_venues_winter.html

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Her boss invited us to stay at a cabin up there, but we’re opting for a day trip. 

If that's the case enjoy the sight seeing . Check out the high peak restaurant or adirondack brewery restaurants. Go for a stroll in the village. Going to be hard to keep a 2year old outside for a long time due to cold 

Its about 2hrs from the capital district 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

If saranac lake is having their winter carnival I would suggest going.  I lived up that way for 2 years and always loved the carnival.  Ice castle is always fun especially for the kids.  Granted this year may be different.   They are small towns but there is always something fun to do. Have fun we are hoping to go up this summer.

• Like 1

The Lake Placid Olympic Museum was a pretty good walk through. About 40 min away is the Wild Center. Look it up online it was really cool. Who knows what their COVID restrictions are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And about an 1:20 away in Blue Mountain Lake is the Adirondack Experience which was super cool. A bit pricy but super cool and you could probably spend the entire day there.

• Like 1

The Lake Placid Olympic Museum was a pretty good walk through. About 40 min away is the Wild Center. Look it up online it was really cool. Who knows what their COVID restrictions are right now.

And about an 1:20 away in Blue Mountain Lake is the Adirondack Experience which was super cool. A bit pricy but super cool and you could probably spend the entire day there.

23 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I live like 30 mins away come have a beer lol. Mirror Lake INN is an exceptional food experience my buddies farm supplies the meat. Im not sure whats going on with the carnival this year. My buddies did all the work on whiteface inn resort roofing wise. Very nice place. Smoked signals in Lake placid is legit bbq.

Man, any other time I’d take you up on that. Thanks for the offer.