Wanted to go do some squirrel hunting this am but turned back cuz snows too damn deep!! I've never owned a pair of snowshoes so I was thinking: now might be the time!!  I want to get a pair that are durable, but not too heavy , I guess---sort of middle-of-the-road in terms of cost also. Anyone have a recommendation as to what to get?  I literally know nothing about Snowshoes!!

Thanks  

At one time I would spend every chance I had during the winter months hunting Snowshoe Hare with hounds in lake effect snow country where snowshoes are a must. I started out with wooden frame models that were strung with rawhide and treated with shellac or varnish to waterproof everything. For hunting I used the semi bearpaw type which allowed maneuverability in the thick woods. The long trailer type are more for crossing open country. Later I purchased a set of wooden frame models that were strung with neoprene lacing and leather bindings, they were much more worry free and lasted much longer than my rawhide jobs which are now used for a wall decoration. A few years back I went the modern route with a pair of Canadian made aluminum frame models strung with neoprene like the ones pictured below and quick adjustable bindings, they work great and are virtually maintenance free. They are sized for your body weight and you want them a little big because of the heavy clothes, gun and hopefully a game bag full of Hares.

Al

2021-02-06_131733.png

2021-02-06_131647.png

2021-02-06_131630.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

All together I have six pairs of snowshoes....okay, gotta admit several are just wall hangers. For the occaisional user, the modern ones from Tubbs, LL Bean and quite a few other manufacturers are just fine. Probably the best of the design are the quick and easy ratchet type bindings they come with. 

They ARE size oriented. It is almost impossible to buy too large a snowshoe. In the light fluffy stuff we have down right now I want the biggest shoe I can get. I have to admit that though I have a good pair of Tubbs, my favorite current pair of snowshoes are army surplus magnesium framed wire threaded ones. I have GI issue bindings on them. They are bombproof, stay on well and float well.

Next, snow shoes are not designed for use with bulky insulated boots. They will be too big for most bindings and will have too much slop in them, resulting in stumbles, blisters, etc. Wear a good supporting hiking type boot and gaitor with them. Your physical activity will keep you plenty warm. and god forbid, NO COTTON SOCKS.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

36” Tubbs by LLBean.   I had an old pair of Cabela’s rawhide/wood shoes that the rawhide dry rotted so I snagged these Tubbs.  I swapped the Bob Maki bindings (priceless) to the Tubbs.  

image.jpg

I got the same Bob maki on my wooden ones i may have to try that on the beans 

I have several pair, killed my biggest buck in 3 ft of snow while wearing them , I prefer the wood as it doesnt  make metallic sounds in the woods while hunting.  I have a pair of green mountain and bear paws just shellac them up with marine varnish and they last forever mine are 20 plus years old now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, airedale said:

At one time I would spend every chance I had during the winter months hunting Snowshoe Hare with hounds in lake effect snow country where snowshoes are a must. I started out with wooden frame models that were strung with rawhide and treated with shellac or varnish to waterproof everything. For hunting I used the semi bearpaw type which allowed maneuverability in the thick woods. The long trailer type are more for crossing open country. Later I purchased a set of wooden frame models that were strung with neoprene lacing and leather bindings, they were much more worry free and lasted much longer than my rawhide jobs which are now used for a wall decoration. A few years back I went the modern route with a pair of Canadian made aluminum frame models strung with neoprene like the ones pictured below and quick adjustable bindings, they work great and are virtually maintenance free. They are sized for your body weight and you want them a little big because of the heavy clothes, gun and hopefully a game bag full of Hares.

Al

2021-02-06_131733.png

2021-02-06_131647.png

2021-02-06_131630.png

Awesome, so you like the new ones best would you say, due to their versaility ?

33 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

All together I have six pairs of snowshoes....okay, gotta admit several are just wall hangers. For the occaisional user, the modern ones from Tubbs, LL Bean and quite a few other manufacturers are just fine. Probably the best of the design are the quick and easy ratchet type bindings they come with. 

They ARE size oriented. It is almost impossible to buy too large a snowshoe. In the light fluffy stuff we have down right now I want the biggest shoe I can get. I have to admit that though I have a good pair of Tubbs, my favorite current pair of snowshoes are army surplus magnesium framed wire threaded ones. I have GI issue bindings on them. They are bombproof, stay on well and float well.

Next, snow shoes are not designed for use with bulky insulated boots. They will be too big for most bindings and will have too much slop in them, resulting in stumbles, blisters, etc. Wear a good supporting hiking type boot and gaitor with them. Your physical activity will keep you plenty warm. and god forbid, NO COTTON SOCKS.

Why no cotton socks?

27 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I have several pair, killed my biggest buck in 3 ft of snow while wearing them , I prefer the wood as it doesnt  make metallic sounds in the woods while hunting.  I have a pair of green mountain and bear paws just shellac them up with marine varnish and they last forever mine are 20 plus years old now.

Good point about the noise making inherent with using metall ones; is that really a big problem, though?

I haven't hunted with snowshoes yet,but there a rip to wander around in the woods with .Definitely on my list of fun things to do,I have aluminum  ones not sure what brand one of my brothers gave them to me.Takes a little getting used to but then its a blast.I always see them on Craigslist cheap just have to see what size you need.

40 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I haven't hunted with snowshoes yet,but there a rip to wander around in the woods with .Definitely on my list of fun things to do,I have aluminum  ones not sure what brand one of my brothers gave them to me.Takes a little getting used to but then its a blast.I always see them on Craigslist cheap just have to see what size you need.

Craiglist, great idea!!

In my younger days, we used to rent a big old Adirondack lake house for a long weekend each year, for a snowmobile trip.  It was decorated nice, with old wooden snowshoes on the wall and a fancy antique wood sled for a coffee table in the living room.

One calm sunny, superbowl Sunday morning I wanted to ice fish. It had been warm earlier and there was a layer of water, under about a foot of powdery snow.  Walking with just boots was impossible, if you wanted to keep your feet dry.  Those wall decorations came in very handy for me on that trip.

So did the sled.  I ended up catching a few trout and some whitefish that were excellent smoked with apple wood.  When I was finished with the  "borrowed decorations", I put them back in position, no worse for the wear.  They were very old, long wooden ones with leather bindings.  They looked to have been hand-crafted by an eskimo in the 1800's.

I have a set of short wood bear-paw style ones now, with one piece rubber bindings.  I use them on occasion, for weekend excersize walks or for ice fishing.  The snow is seldom deep enough to need them anymore.  I get a lot more mileage, but significantly less excersize, from my cross country ski's.

20210206_154142.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

I use some tubbs for flat stuff occasionally, but mostly some msr lightning ascents . Pricey for occasional use, but for steep terrain/ ice conditions they are outstanding. Way beyond tubing frames for aggressive.

I have a rental pair of tubbs came from EMS that I am selling cheap. Good shape, good bindings, I think their 25's. Load rated to I'd guess 160-70 lbs. or close.  

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Awesome, so you like the new ones best would you say, due to their versaility ?

I like the modern snowshoes because of their ease of maintenance, lacings do not break or need restringing and no rot, no varnishing, also wet snow does not stick to neoprene. Now as far as actually walking on snow the old style wood frame and rawhide laced work perfectly fine.

Al