1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Why no cotton socks?

There's an adage in cold weather gear.

Cotton kills.

It holds water and loses it thermal use. It also keeps moisture against the skin and doesn't breathe. Buy some Tholo or Smartwool socks, Darn Tough is good too.

I dont even own anything cotton for outdoors (frankly indoors either, hate the stuff, I own one pair of denim pants that I never wear). I'm all synthetics with a tiny bit of wool blends outside/work.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 5

I just read an article that said a lot of sporting goods places are sold out of snowshoes.  Another Covid Effect I guess.  Craigslist may be your best option, or maybe someone here has a pair to spare. 

I have a pair of teardrop wooden Cabelas snowshoes that I really enjoy using, except the bindings are difficult to put on my boots.  Nice large footprint and they float on snow really well.   I like that the rawhide lets snow fall thru when you pick your foot up.   I also have a pair of aluminum and neoprene with the new style ratchet bindings, much easier to put on and they have a smaller footprint so a little easier to maneuver in.   

The past few days have been perfect snow and weather for snowshoeing.  I gotta get out there! 

4 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Good point about the noise making inherent with using metall ones; is that really a big problem, though?

Metal squeaking on snow or a loud hit on a log or top of rock. ,ruining a 3 hour still hunt is a big problem,  like a stand squeaking as you move into position for a shot , just miss stepping and hitting one aluminum frame on another sounds like a going going off.. at least wood on wood may sound like horns hitting or a branch falling hitting another.  Noting like a good metallic click to spook everything in the woods.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Wanted to go do some squirrel hunting this am but turned back cuz snows too damn deep!! I've never owned a pair of snowshoes so I was thinking: now might be the time!!  I want to get a pair that are durable, but not too heavy , I guess---sort of middle-of-the-road in terms of cost also. Anyone have a recommendation as to what to get?  I literally know nothing about Snowshoes!!

Thanks  

I'm also in the market for some. I'm liking the Tubbs Alp. I've never used wooden ones but folks are bringing up some interesting points about sounds and spooking deer if hunting with them....

27 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Maybe someone close by can make a deal with you.   Do you have much snow down there?  We have 8" or so now??

Got 16" earlier this week and some on the way tomorrow. All the higher elevations have kept snow for the most part since last storm.

Did 10 miles in Taconics this morning and broke trail for almost 3 miles solo. Then met a party of 20 somethings on way down. 

Sucks breaking trail solo only to find you could have let a group do the work. Lol

But all good, that trail I regular see BIG rattlesnakes and is overgrown with knee high brush so you can't see your feet in summer. Nice to make time not hoping something is getting out of the way.

Edited by Dinsdale

5 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Why no cotton socks?

Think terry cloth/ T shirts/ towels. Good for absorbing moisture, but it holds it  and matts down, losing its cushioning/insulating properties.. Same as wearing cotton T shirts in the winter for outdoor activities: they will chill you, as well as the socks potentially leading to blisters. Wool blend can hold the moisture and continue to insulate without matting down (Merino wool is a long fiber sock and particularly great...I wear them year round). Google cotton use in cold/damp conditions. It can easily lead to hypothermia when used as a base layer.

I love my wood snowshoes...they are 48" long and I float on the snow like a butterfly. I havent found a binding I am happy with on them yet though. The only problem with wood shoes are 1) be careful about where you store them...mice eat the leather. Mine were like new when I bought them used for 25.00, but I had to redo a bunch of leather. and 2) you need to keep up on the varnish on them. 

What ever you go with, dont compromise and get too small a shoe. Too long is very seldom a problem...the short stumpy ones are geared for snow shoe race or trail walking where the snow is all compacted. If you go off trail go max on the size. I am 235 lbs plus clothes and a day pack...the biggest aint too big. 

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Metal squeaking on snow or a loud hit on a log or top of rock. ,ruining a 3 hour still hunt is a big problem,  like a stand squeaking as you move into position for a shot , just miss stepping and hitting one aluminum frame on another sounds like a going going off.. at least wood on wood may sound like horns hitting or a branch falling hitting another.  Noting like a good metallic click to spook everything in the woods.

Yup , you’re right , great examples