New levergun from Mossberg

17 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

Nice looking rifle.  I am not crazy about the top ejection...

i'd prefer side eject too but myself and many others used top eject lever guns like the Win Model 94 just fine. trying to clone a classic or maybe patents creating issues to go with side eject with their specific case. idk.

I had one years ago. It was a nice gun, accurate too. There was something funky about the lever and safety if I remember. I am pretty sure you had to really squeeze that lever to the stock in order to fire. Ended up selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love lever guns the most , I have a 30 30 Henry now that is incredibly cool to shoot. The plus side to lever guns is they're not cool and most likely will still be onnthe shelfs for sale.
I really want the T-Rex capable Marlin 45-70 and then maybe the tacticool version of it too

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

I picked up a henry classic .22 a few months ago there where three of them two 45/70's and a 3030 on the shelf.There was a few bolt guns but they where in 2506? The guy said it was a good caliber for deer hunting.when i was looking buy the ammo he had a shelf full of 2506 bullets and nothing else.

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I love lever guns the most , I have a 30 30 Henry now that is incredibly cool to shoot. The plus side to lever guns is they're not cool and most likely will still be onnthe shelfs for sale.

If you reload cast lead bullets are the way to go.cheap and still available.

17 hours ago, Don_C said:

I had one years ago. It was a nice gun, accurate too. There was something funky about the lever and safety if I remember. I am pretty sure you had to really squeeze that lever to the stock in order to fire. Ended up selling it.

Winchester 94s (which this looks to be an unabashed copy of) have always had a lever safety...the small button the lever compresses...which ensures the lever is fully closed before firing. It really isnt noticeable in practice and doesnt take any extra effort in use.

The rifle otherwise looks like a good potential deal for a lever gun. Remember the Marlin 30-30s and Model 94s for well under 200.oo Kmart and Sears would sell, well into the eighties?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Winchester 94s (which this looks to be an unabashed copy of) have always had a lever safety...the small button the lever compresses...which ensures the lever is fully closed before firing. It really isnt noticeable in practice and doesnt take any extra effort in use.

The rifle otherwise looks like a good potential deal for a lever gun. Remember the Marlin 30-30s and Model 94s for well under 200.oo Kmart and Sears would sell, well into the eighties?

Yes, exactly. This one was a little wonky for some reason, at least that's what I'm remembering. It was quite a few years ago. Could kick my self for selling the Marlins I had in my younger days.

I have a 336W and a 464 with the stainless/laminate. I love lever guns in premise and plinking, but I for some reason just cannot say I enjoy hunting with them.

And that 464 has the same feature with the lever needing to be squeezed before firing a round...have to admit like Don_C that it comes off funky. I don't have that problem with the 336W.

I'm debating getting rid of both of them and picking another bolt action.

• Like 1

I've only fired a few levers and can't recall the models at the moment. The levers always seems too stiff to operate as intended though and I'd have to change my grip so that I could pull the action to cycle a round. This left a bad taste in my mouth. I like lever guns and am open to trying something new, but would need it to cycle smoothly before I could consider buying one.

I think to this day Marlin owns lever actions as far as smoothness of action. I love my 94s....(I have owned four, and still own two)...nothing seems so right as carrying one in the woods, and I love shooting them, I used to look down at the Marlin 336 as being overbuilt...but the action can tolerate much hotter rounds, and by gosh...you can mount a scope easily...and the actions are no where as clunky. I thought I had my dream gun when I picked up a (turns out very heavily used) Savage 99, pretty much considered the King of levers. Smoothest action ever, wonderful workmanship, but the one I had was very heavily used and had headspace problems...sent down the road. I have been in the market for a 336, but I want to pay 1980s prices.....

6 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I think to this day Marlin owns lever actions as far as smoothness of action. I love my 94s....(I have owned four, and still own two)...nothing seems so right as carrying one in the woods, and I love shooting them, I used to look down at the Marlin 336 as being overbuilt...but the action can tolerate much hotter rounds, and by gosh...you can mount a scope easily...and the actions are no where as clunky. I thought I had my dream gun when I picked up a (turns out very heavily used) Savage 99, pretty much considered the King of levers. Smoothest action ever, wonderful workmanship, but the one I had was very heavily used and had headspace problems...sent down the road. I have been in the market for a 336, but I want to pay 1980s prices.....

I've never shot a lever action before but ever since I was a kid I wanted to have a Marlin 336 but also not wanting to pay today's prices. Sure wish I would've picked one up ages ago when Kmart and Walmart sold them for under $250 

Edited by Red

8 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

How much is a newer 336W worth? Probably 25-50 rounds through it? Had one range session with it and been in the safe since. It's a Remington Marlin...maybe five years old. I know the earlier ones are worth $$$.

I love levers, have a closet full. Winchesters, Marlins, Henry’s a couple Rossi’s a browning and a pile of savage 99’s and a “stainless” mossberg 464 with the 16” barrel and laminate stock.

Very small test base but the mossberg is my least favorite. The action is as bad as a new marlin and accuracy has been terrible since new.

Myself I have no idea of what one would be going for. I am looking for a mid 1950s-1960s production. I know where a few are that if I am patient with the right amount of haggling/horse trading, I should be able to get one for around 400. I sure as heck am not paying the current inflated market price for what is out there (not referring to yours, if you are selling...no idea what your are thinking).

Edited by Daveboone

I’m with you and as far as gun hunting I have pretty much exclusively hunted with lever guns the past few years

I am actually with you on the marlin thing, I went on a search for a 444 this summer and went with a marlin 444p over the Winchester 94 guide gun

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, Daveboone said:

Bought my Winchester # 94 at Jamesway in Catskill NY for $80 in 1973 , I was 16 and an uncle had to buy it for me because of my age . He was a WW2 Vet and taught me gun safety before he'd let me use it ! And yup I'm still shooting it ! The top eject sucks but what the hey !

• Like 1