Get ‘em from Below

Northcountryman

Have you ever heard of digging like a fox hole for deer as opposed to a traditional tree stand or ground blind setup ? In retesting idea , I wonder if it has any merit to it ? Came across this piece of advice reading an old deer hunting Book : what do you think ? Ever heard of this before ? The way I see it , it’s use would be very limited , if effective at all ; I mean , who’s gonna dig a fix hole in the middle of the woods or a swamp ? But , maybe at the edge of a field or on a hills side ? Sounds like it could work , lotta work though !! 

Another idea or tip for ground hunter is to dig a hole 30 inches or so deep, so you can sit  with your knees bent over the hole and legs dangling.

Like sitting in a chair but on the ground.

Thinking if that is done with a tree trunk on the back side and throw a cushion in the mix, it would make a comfortable hunt.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I have actually thought about it for a specific spot on my property where a ground blind or tree stand is not an option..  the reason I have not done it yet is that I am not sure how to keep it from filling up with water...   any ideas??

Yeah, Good point; could you cover with a tarp and prop up the center with a couple of long brances or something?  Weight down the edges w/ rocks?

No merit for several reasons: First, is the scent factor.  Getting up in a tree helps keep your scent above a deer.  You loose that advantage in a hole.  Second, is water.  It is usually wet in the fall and keeping water out of the hole would be tough.  Third, is visibility.  It is tough to see very far from down in a hole.

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Nice , I may try to snag this book;  did you read it ? 

Yes. I enjoyed it. He talks a lot about stalking and how to walk - high step, toe strike first, incredibly slow. 

1 hour ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Another idea or tip for ground hunter is to dig a hole 30 inches or so deep, so you can sit  with your knees bent over the hole and legs dangling.

Like sitting in a chair but on the ground.

Thinking if that is done with a tree trunk on the back side and throw a cushion in the mix, it would make a comfortable hunt.

I think a blow down where the rootball has upended would be a good start.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

No merit for several reasons: First, is the scent factor.  Getting up in a tree helps keep your scent above a deer.  You loose that advantage in a hole.  Second, is water.  It is usually wet in the fall and keeping water out of the hole would be tough.  Third, is visibility.  It is tough to see very far from down in a hole.

Yes, but maybe on high ground?

37 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

But I think you have more control when you go heel first ; Im sure I've read that somewhere.  Guess i'll have to try both

It is more work for your legs to go toe first,but thats how the Indians used to do it. Heel first is a much more modern approach and according to some is what leads to a lot of back problems for people.

1 hour ago, left field said:

Yes. I enjoyed it. He talks a lot about stalking and how to walk - high step, toe strike first, incredibly slow. 

I think a blow down where the rootball has upended would be a good start.

I found a blow down with a 4-5 ft hole that the root ball left. I was going to build a ladder to get into it , but we lost our lease before the season started. 

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Toe first? I've read heel first when still hunting; which is it then?

Certain woodsy sounds are okay as long as they're not the bipedal crunch...crunch of a man on the prowl. Out West, where hunting remains largely a foot pursuit, some ground hunters recommend carrying a walking stick to serve as a "third foot" for better balance when silently picking a path over uneven, brittle terrain. Using a walking stick in dry conditions produces an un-humanlike third step. A staff also makes a good rifle rest should the opportunity for a shot present itself.

Bowhunter Fred Asbell accomplishes the same illusion of sound with a technique he calls "deer walking."

When he takes a bad step or when silent forward momentum is no longer possible--perhaps when closing the last few yards before the shot--he plants the ball of his lead foot first and follows it by snapping his heel down smartly. The result is a quick, lighter-sounding crunch-crunch that sometimes confuses four-footed critters into thinking another of their kind is milling about.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/ground-pounders-expert-advice-on-how-to-come-down-from-trees-and-hunt-on-your-own-two-feet/

• Like 1

I saw one on a slope in Northern Region 7 (Morrisville area). Even had a rudimentary roof. A fellow forester told me about ones on hunting clubs in the catskills that were fairly elaborate. They set them into hillsides, with a good downhill field of fire. They had a front on them. I also remember a turkey magazine from around 1984 that had a guy talking about a dugout pit with a cover that he used for calling turkeys. Wish I had kept the magazine.

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

It is more work for your legs to go toe first,but thats how the Indians used to do it. Heel first is a much more modern approach and according to some is what leads to a lot of back problems for people.

Really , so where’d you read this ? I’d like to check it Out . I’ve found going toe first is more difficult to maintain your balance , although you can detect branches more effectively as you stated before 

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Really , so where’d you read this ? I’d like to check it Out . I’ve found going toe first is more difficult to maintain your balance , although you can detect branches more effectively as you stated before 

I have a tracking book written by a master tracker, I gotta look up the first name but his last name is Brown. Some of the stuff seems kind of out there but he was a serious tracker that the cops used for some manhunts in the woods. I should get the book out again and re- read it. He talks about the ultimate stalking test in which you try to touch a deer. I can't even imagine that,but dont think it is impossible. Just because i cant do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

If you look up master tracker and ... Brown you should find the title. He learned from an old Indian fellow that used to play tricks on him and his buddy. The book describes tracking practices very well too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Farflung said:

I saw one on a slope in Northern Region 7 (Morrisville area). Even had a rudimentary roof. A fellow forester told me about ones on hunting clubs in the catskills that were fairly elaborate. They set them into hillsides, with a good downhill field of fire. They had a front on them. I also remember a turkey magazine from around 1984 that had a guy talking about a dugout pit with a cover that he used for calling turkeys. Wish I had kept the magazine.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try it this year, that is, IF I can find a prime spot for one.  In my mind, hillsides, upper part of ridge lines, etc. would be ideal, but might be hard to dig w/ root systems/ rocks and all.