NYS Typical Archery Record broken?

BizCT

22 hours ago, phade said:

I'm not going to say one is better than the other or try to rationalize some stack ranking.

me neither, but after a few beers I'd give the old member Sam Potter some real serious props for those big woods bucks. Props to the guy on LI too, as you said it comes down to the hunter but deep down I do feel one fits my "vision" of a hunter more. This is a flaw that me and many others have and I'll admit to that. I think a lot of guys back packing hunting elk out west view the NE tree stand hunter the same. It's not right. It's not fair, but the narrative is there and I find it hard to even deny it in myself. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

me neither, but after a few beers I'd give the old member Sam Potter some real serious props for those big woods bucks. Props to the guy on LI too, as you said it comes down to the hunter but deep down I do feel one fits my "vision" of a hunter more. This is a flaw that me and many others have and I'll admit to that. I think a lot of guys back packing hunting elk out west view the NE tree stand hunter the same. It's not right. It's not fair, but the narrative is there and I find it hard to even deny it in myself. 

Sam killed some great bucks.   He is now hunting with traditional gear in IA and knocking em down.  Very good hunter from the evidence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Judge Smails, “if you don’t keep score, how do you measure yourself to other golfers!”
Try Webb, “By height.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats golfing.   Weight is the key measurement for hunters.  The bigger the better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

You just proved my point to a degree, I think....as Moog noted Sam is in NE Iowa killing midwest bucks in ag and creekbottom/rolling bluffs. A good hunter is a good hunter and will find a way to be successful in whatever environment he or she is in. Just because he is in Iowa now and killed a 190-200"er does that mean he is less of a hunter than the one in the 'Dacks? I think not, but if he didn't have the 'Dacks history (He lived in the Finger Lakes and killed plenty there), would he be viewed as just another midwest hunter who kills a booner in a state where booners are behind every tree? You'd (speaking in general You) probably downplay that kill or the kills he has had since moving to the farm. In both cases he was killing top-end bucks for the area. 

I just can't bring myself to stack rank a hunter unless it's apples to apples, and that's almost impossible to do. Loosely killing the bigger bucks for the area is the only measurement for me, and that's even a stretch, but that's about all I could come up with. If someone killed a top 10%er, and does it routinely, then they're a good hunter IMO. Not any better or worse than the one who does the same in a different environment.

Its in our DNA to try to position, but I can't bring myself to say someone taking a good buck in an environment that I just don't jive with is a lesser hunter than one in an environment I prefer.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, phade said:

You just proved my point to a degree, I think....as Moog noted Sam is in NE Iowa killing midwest bucks in ag and creekbottom/rolling bluffs. A good hunter is a good hunter and will find a way to be successful in whatever environment he or she is in. Just because he is in Iowa now and killed a 190-200"er does that mean he is less of a hunter than the one in the 'Dacks? I think not, but if he didn't have the 'Dacks history (He lived in the Finger Lakes and killed plenty there), would he be viewed as just another midwest hunter who kills a booner in a state where booners are behind every tree? You'd (speaking in general You) probably downplay that kill or the kills he has had since moving to the farm. In both cases he was killing top-end bucks for the area. 

I just can't bring myself to stack rank a hunter unless it's apples to apples, and that's almost impossible to do. Loosely killing the bigger bucks for the area is the only measurement for me, and that's even a stretch, but that's about all I could come up with. If someone killed a top 10%er, and does it routinely, then they're a good hunter IMO. Not any better or worse than the one who does the same in a different environment.

Its in our DNA to try to position, but I can't bring myself to say someone taking a good buck in an environment that I just don't jive with is a lesser hunter than one in an environment I prefer.

don't you think those dak's bucks were pretty bad ass though?

and i agree with everything you're saying btw

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Thats golfing.   Weight is the key measurement for hunters.  The bigger the better!

Rinella has famously labeled scoring of bucks as the golfication of hunting. Interestingly enough the scoring system's roots were conservation and the first system used by biologists and wildlife officials to manage and understand population health. 

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

Rinella has famously labeled scoring of bucks as the golfication of hunting. Interestingly enough the scoring system's roots were conservation and the first system used by biologists and wildlife officials to manage and understand population health. 

I think you misunderstand, the weight of the hunter not the deer determines the better hunter.  

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Belo said:

don't you think those dak's bucks were pretty bad ass though?

and i agree with everything you're saying btw

Yes, for sure. Sam is quite a good hunter. But I don't view those deer any more or less than the deer he has killed in Iowa now since moving out to the wife's farm. Just because it's Iowa, it doesn't mean he didn't work his butt off to kill a nearly 200"er (amongst others). The accomplishments hold equal weight IMO if I were to be judging something (which I'm not other than than he is a good hunter and a good example for my POV). Wouldn't be any different if he shot a nice one in LI, I guess is my point. I know others see it different but I just can't, I guess. I'm not sure my argument would even change in a highly managed piece of ground - if he's taking the top 10%, then it is what it is. But that is just my perspective.

One thing I learned from Sam I employed this fall, haha. He told me about a buck he killed down in Ohio on a friend's piece. The terrain was so steep it was almost impossible to not sweat. He said he would drop trow in the pitch black to "air out" and cool down, which to me at the time was about as foreign as I could remember. Ain't no way I'm doing that in the dark in the woods when it's cold out. Fast forward to this year and climbing those hills in MO in the dark of the first morning...I got to a peak of a hill and was dying. Bare ass cooling off in the wind never felt so good. I just looked at the dark sky and stars with no light pollution for 5-10 min. I didn't freeze that morning on stand. The stuff you learn from people, lol.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I shot the big one first when i sat down to wait the three pointer and a spike came in.I could've shot the spike to but common sense kicked in and i didn't want to drag and butcher three deer.At the time i was a meat hunter and knew nothing about trophy hunting.I actually was going to shoot a doe and looked over and saw him closer to me.That started a 10 year obsession  with big bucks,but i gave it up i like to eat venison[not bragging] but i started letting 130-140's walk looking for one specific buck to the point i almost stopped hunting.I'm to a point in my life where i make the decision to shoot when i see the deer.

Suffolk and Westchester always ran neck and neck with trophy deer is it the same over there?

Edited by rachunter
  • Like 1

I shot the big one first when i sat down to wait the three pointer and a spike came in.I could've shot the spike to but common sense kicked in and i didn't want to drag and butcher three deer.At the time i was a meat hunter and knew nothing about trophy hunting.I actually was going to shoot a doe and looked over and saw him closer to me.That started a 10 year obsession  with big bucks,but i gave it up i like to eat venison[not bragging] but i started letting 130-140's walk looking for one specific buck to the point i almost stopped hunting.I'm to a point in my life where i make the decision to shoot when i see the deer.
Suffolk and Westchester always ran neck and neck with trophy deer is it the same over there?

That’s awesome and yeah Westchester has pockets like that.
I shot two doe this year in early October only to have a “good buck” start to come in after I started to lower my bow. Got the bow back up and decided that he was real good but this spot produces a bit better and it early and I have two down already....low and behold...never saw nearly as good of a buck there the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I think you misunderstand, the weight of the hunter not the deer determines the better hunter.  

Right !

Although, I am striving to stop picking on deer smaller than me..  Throwing in the towel and going on a diet. My goal of shooting a 270# deer is just unrealistic.... I guess .lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

I think many hunters go thru the "trophy" stage.  I also went thru a few years of it when I was young.  Some of us get thru it, and eventually realize that MEAT is where it's at. 

I can only think of one frequenter of this site who does not show much hope of ever getting beyond the "trophy" stage.  I am ok with that, because other folks reasons for deer hunting makes little difference to me.   

I appreciate the trophy hunters, because I prefer to not kill does (they take me longer to process).  The "little bucks" that they pass have kept my family fed thru many a cold winter.

• Like 1