NYS Typical Archery Record broken?

BizCT

21 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I think many hunters go thru the "trophy" stage.  I also went thru a few years of it when I was young.  Some of us get thru it, and eventually realize that MEAT is where it's at. 

I can only think of one frequenter of this site who does not show much hope of ever getting beyond the "trophy" stage.  I am ok with that, because other folks reasons for deer hunting makes little difference to me.   

I appreciate the trophy hunters, because I prefer to not kill does (they take me longer to process).  The "little bucks" that they pass have kept my family fed thru many a cold winter.

I think you have that a little backwards. Seeing though you are talking about me let me fill ya in. When a hunter starts out they most times mature and improve at their game... well most hunters...  You see when a hunter uses the real word and “Hunts’ they usually try to pick a worthy adversary to put their wits up against and go one on one.  Now many use the word “Hunter” in many ways but in my world after killing god only knows how many deer in the last 40 years....Starting out with any deer that showed itself..I now need to use the word hunt as a base to pick a deer that’s smarter than I am. Prob don’t take much but in my world going out and shooting pretty much any buck less than 120 inches is not real tough and surely not pushing me to use all the skills I have gained over the years.  We Trophy hunters as you say still enjoy venison and still take their fair share of animals.   They just are not Baby Bucks which it seems is all a few others can find. To each their own. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

I think you have that a little backwards. Seeing though you are talking about me let me fill ya in. When a hunter starts out they most times mature and improve at their game... well most hunters...  You see when a hunter uses the real word and “Hunts’ they usually try to pick a worthy adversary to put their wits up against and go one on one.  Now many use the word “Hunter” in many ways but in my world after killing god only knows how many deer in the last 40 years....Starting out with any deer that showed itself..I now need to use the word hunt as a base to pick a deer that’s smarter than I am. Prob don’t take much but in my world going out and shooting pretty much any buck less than 120 inches is not real tough and surely not pushing me to use all the skills I have gained over the years.  We Trophy hunters as you say still enjoy venison and still take their fair share of animals.   They just are not Baby Bucks which it seems is all a few others can find. To each their own. 

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:29 PM, phade said:

Yes, for sure. Sam is quite a good hunter. But I don't view those deer any more or less than the deer he has killed in Iowa now since moving out to the wife's farm. Just because it's Iowa, it doesn't mean he didn't work his butt off to kill a nearly 200"er (amongst others). The accomplishments hold equal weight IMO if I were to be judging something (which I'm not other than than he is a good hunter and a good example for my POV). Wouldn't be any different if he shot a nice one in LI, I guess is my point. I know others see it different but I just can't, I guess. I'm not sure my argument would even change in a highly managed piece of ground - if he's taking the top 10%, then it is what it is. But that is just my perspective.

One thing I learned from Sam I employed this fall, haha. He told me about a buck he killed down in Ohio on a friend's piece. The terrain was so steep it was almost impossible to not sweat. He said he would drop trow in the pitch black to "air out" and cool down, which to me at the time was about as foreign as I could remember. Ain't no way I'm doing that in the dark in the woods when it's cold out. Fast forward to this year and climbing those hills in MO in the dark of the first morning...I got to a peak of a hill and was dying. Bare ass cooling off in the wind never felt so good. I just looked at the dark sky and stars with no light pollution for 5-10 min. I didn't freeze that morning on stand. The stuff you learn from people, lol.

Ok how about this thought then. A good hunter will be successful just about anywhere you put him or her. On that we both agree.

An average to poor hunter can be more successful in better habitat. It's not to say LI is easy (I've never hunted it, only visited it) and so this statement is ignorant. But maybe scent and noise aren't as critical? Is it easier to scout 5 acres than 500? 

I think we could all probably agree that just filling the freezer would be easier. The question comes down to mature bucks. If I weren't lazy I imagine there are some studies out there that track number of hunters per zone and correlates it to average antler score/points? 

At the end of the day I do think we're saying the same general thing. But perhaps I'm leaning more towards favoring certain deer killed in certain areas as greater accomplishments than you are? Like the Hunting Public guys vs Lee and Tiffany for example. Lee and Tiffany are good hunters. I just don't hold the same amount of respect I guess? Right, wrong or indifferent. 

On 2/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, rachunter said:

Alright but remember loose lips sink ships.
f00af13ad5a08717085f0b409ab9beb7.jpg
a3f28e5a1b39528ef1bda98d57aa7a93.jpg
And yes I shot both bucks within ten minutes of each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man you go the extra mile in field dressing. Don't you worry you'll get crud in there during transport prior to hanging?

Sorry to detract from the beautiful buck, just genuinely curious. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

man you go the extra mile in field dressing. Don't you worry you'll get crud in there during transport prior to hanging?

Sorry to detract from the beautiful buck, just genuinely curious. 

I do that when i get them out of the woods to cool the cavity down.It was 70 degrees[nov 10th] but i've been doing that my whole life.I don't eat the stomach flaps "butchers baloney" i've heard it called.Some guys put sticks to open it up.Now i take the pics then open them up.It's all about the quality of the meat.

16 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I do that when i get them out of the woods to cool the cavity down.It was 70 degrees[nov 10th] but i've been doing that my whole life.I don't eat the stomach flaps "butchers baloney" i've heard it called.Some guys put sticks to open it up.Now i take the pics then open them up.It's all about the quality of the meat.

ah gotcha, that makes sense. I use a rib spreader and cut away most of the flaps too once I get them hung. 

• 2 weeks later...