B: wasn't afraid of the dark 
C: preferred not to let em go and watch em grow

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Haha 1

C: preferred not to let em go and watch em grow

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Ah...playing the long game! Let them die of old age and then find the dead head. Smart! Saves money on arrows and seeing the yucky blood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah...playing the long game! Let them die of old age and then find the dead head. Smart! Saves money on arrows and seeing the yucky blood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would work but only if I was good at finding sheds. The only shed I ever found was when I was hunting a ranch in Wyoming. Found a totally bleached out small Mule Deer antler that I kept.

#WeDemandADislikeButton

That area of LI reminds me of the area the guys on Seek One hunt. Monsters roaming in fancy neighborhoods. I'm not hating, I'd be all about it too if I had the access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly the guys I thought of first. You hunt bird feeders while sitting next to the driveway. My favorite episode (not really) was them setting a ground blind up next to the guys deck. Like you said, I'm not knocking it, but don't go looking for a trophy for being a great white hunter either. It's more of herd management than hunting to me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Exactly the guys I thought of first. You hunt bird feeders while sitting next to the driveway. My favorite episode (not really) was them setting a ground blind up next to the guys deck. Like you said, I'm not knocking it, but don't go looking for a trophy for being a great white hunter either. It's more of herd management than hunting to me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

now they have a golf course lol

I view urban hunting no different than a type of landscape, ag, big woods, midwest creek bottoms, etc. I'm not of the mindset to knock other hunters for being successful. JMO. Leverage skills to do what you need to do. I'm sure we all see the peaks and not so many valleys that make it difficult regardless of hunting environment.

12 minutes ago, phade said:

I view urban hunting no different than a type of landscape, ag, big woods, midwest creek bottoms, etc. I'm not of the mindset to knock other hunters for being successful. JMO. Leverage skills to do what you need to do. I'm sure we all see the peaks and not so many valleys that make it difficult regardless of hunting environment.

Agree.  Much of these areas of LI with trophy deer are a mix of suburbia, farmland, and woods (in that order of area); with a break-up of 90% no hunting public & private land, 1% private allowing hunting, and 4% public allowing hunting. The public hunting land is small, relative to 1C, and hit very hard.  These are the perfect conditions for deer, not hunting.  Conversely, a section of Westchester we had permission to hunt was all estates with high fences to keep deer out.  There was so much high fencing out that it created the condition of the deer being fenced into the small strips of woods separating the properties.  Oddly, that still counts as fair chase.

Reminds me of this show. 
chasing-tail.jpg.f18dd3c0dae03ecfd694fd75a7232990.jpg
Nothing wrong with that. often times it's more difficult since you have to deal with cars and landscapers scaring deer. Along with dogs and all sorts of wacky stuff

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes. No gun season on LI till January, so I'm assuming its like Westchester 3S where you can shoot both your bucks on 10/1 or 12/31 with the bow or anytime in between. and same with unlimited doe tags. Everytime you kill a doe you get a replacement tag.

gotcha. The fact that he killed both of these in one sit (while not insane if there was a hot doe around) just adds to my skepticism though. 

19 hours ago, phade said:

I have no issue with urban hunting either, and for those that are slaughtering the doe I commend them. 

I would say that personally I enjoy the quietness of the big woods and while I can still here the loud truck or motorcycle and occasional barking dog where I hunt, it's still a nice escape. At my old house I had a stand on 5 acres. There were days I saw 20+ deer and had a few slammers running around. But I was so close to houses that I just didn't enjoy the hunt as much.

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have no issue with urban hunting either, and for those that are slaughtering the doe I commend them. 

I would say that personally I enjoy the quietness of the big woods and while I can still here the loud truck or motorcycle and occasional barking dog where I hunt, it's still a nice escape. At my old house I had a stand on 5 acres. There were days I saw 20+ deer and had a few slammers running around. But I was so close to houses that I just didn't enjoy the hunt as much.

Enjoying vs. skill or style complexity are two different facets IMO. I certainly have preferences as to what I enjoy too. But its easy for people to lob statements that X atmosphere is harder or easier; I'm guilty of it from time to time too, but I try to catch myself. I try not to knock hunters who have put themselves in a position to be routinely successful at reaching their goals and achieve it. Me saying urban hunting is easy or that they're not a "real" hunter is more a reflection and problem with me than that urban hunter. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I need to downplay those who are successful in that setting. Just for me, personally.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phade said:

Enjoying vs. skill or style complexity are two different facets IMO. I certainly have preferences as to what I enjoy too. But its easy for people to lob statements that X atmosphere is harder or easier; I'm guilty of it from time to time too, but I try to catch myself. I try not to knock hunters who have put themselves in a position to be routinely successful at reaching their goals and achieve it. Me saying urban hunting is easy or that they're not a "real" hunter is more a reflection and problem with me than that urban hunter. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I need to downplay those who are successful in that setting. Just for me, personally.

I agree with that too. Albeit, I don't even think the urban hunter would argue that the somewhat tame and abundant deer aren't easier to a degree. Hell, I have land up north and down in the ROC and I would be the first to admit hunting the big woods of the Adirondacks is much harder. 

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

I agree with that too. Albeit, I don't even think the urban hunter would argue that the somewhat tame and abundant deer aren't easier to a degree. Hell, I have land up north and down in the ROC and I would be the first to admit hunting the big woods of the Adirondacks is much harder. 

That's the thing though, I don't think the deer are tame or easier to a degree; a deer can usually pick out a threat when it becomes one, let alone a mature buck. No different than driving by on the ATV and having a deer watch from the cornfield/woodlot edge with no care in the world. Step one foot inside that lot and the thing comes out of its skin. Terrain and what not aside, in the Adirondacks, it's you and the deer. In the urban, its you, the deer, the mailman, the kids, the joggers, the dog, etc. that can disrupt the hunt at any time and often at the worst time. I think in the end, most of this stuff comes up as a wash. A good hunter is a good hunter, they'll leverage their skill to get results, even in the unfamiliar.

If you take top 10-20% bucks for the urban, or ag, or Adirondacks, you're a good hunter to me and I view them as the same. I'm not going to say one is better than the other or try to rationalize some stack ranking.

• Like 2

The deer adapt for survival to their environment.  Interesting tale of two bucks reactions in the same season in November.  I stopped along side the road in a no hunting park in unit 1C to watch a buck feeding approx 50 yards away in the woods.  It stopped to watch me several times.  Eventually, I lowered the drivers window to take a picture.  The deer heard the power motor and proceed to march right up to the truck.  A few weeks later, I stopped along side the road in a wooded area in unit 4? to watch a buck feeding approx 50 yards away in the woods.  It stopped to watch me several times.  Eventually, I lowered the drivers window to take a picture.  The deer heard the power motor and bolted in the opposite direction.

• Haha 1

I hunt an Urban area and a non Urban area.  I'm successful at both locations.  The biggest difference at the Urban spot is I hardly ever go a sit without seeing a deer almost always a doe.  The deer there do spot you and smell you just like anywhere else that I hunt and when they do they take off just like any other deer.  I have a few big mature bucks on camera in that location and I've only laid my eyes on a couple of them in the past 6-7 years.  After October rolls around the bucks seem to disappear from this spot I don't see them anymore and don't get them on camera again until the next spring.  There's not really any much of a food source in the woods over there so the deer spend a lot of time in the yards eating the bushes and plants.

I think it's much easier for me to shoot a doe there than anywhere else but that's not because they are tame it's because there are so many of them there.  For me the biggest downside to hunting the urban spot is all of the noise from the cars and leaf blowers. I'm a couple hundred yards away from any house but usually only 30-50 yards away from the thruway. You can't hear the the deer coming over the constant traffic but they usually can't hear me as well.   I prefer hunting in the country but with the kids hockey schedules and dance I'm not always able to get out to the country.   The home owners near my urban spot are very thankful for the deer that I do get out of there it's one less deer eating their shrubs.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Belo said:

gotcha. The fact that he killed both of these in one sit (while not insane if there was a hot doe around) just adds to my skepticism though. 

could be morning and night or night and morning and totally different spots?

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just because the deer was shot on Long Island, people assume he's hunting a front yard? I don't get it.

It's pretty sad.When i shot my first p & y i heard all kinds of snide remarks it didn't bother me,by the third one i stopped telling anyone but a few close friends.

• Like 2