Chickadees

Cabin Fever

While bowhunting in the past, I've had chickadees land on bow, bounce around on nocked arrows and even land on my hat. I've heard of people feeding them out of their hands before, but have never tried it. They usually perch very close and act curious while I fill the bird feeder, so I figured I would give it a shot to see if they would eat out of my hand. First attempt and I had 4 chickadees land on my hand and pick seed right out of my hand! Just thought it was pretty neat!

15-E3-E03-A-CD5-F-436-C-8136-740-F2-D2-A

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

My favorite bird. I call them the “ happy bird”.  

Mine too. I like watching them at the feeder. Also like cardinals for their bright red color against the snow.

First time in my life having a birdfeeder and it's really neat and relaxing to watch all the different bird species coming in. I have a bird ID guide handy too!

56 minutes ago, Farflung said:

yup, they are pretty "tameable",  When I bowhunted, they would often fly up into the tree. I had to drop my arrow down to keep them from landing on the broadhead. I was just reading the past week that they huddle in tree cavities, sometimes in groups, to stay warm at night.

My wife saw just that several years ago. We have a 10' giant maple stump and the chickadees were huddled up in some of the cavities on a cold cold day.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, Cabin Fever said:

While bowhunting in the past, I've had chickadees land on bow, bounce around on nocked arrows and even land on my hat. I've heard of people feeding them out of their hands before, but have never tried it. They usually perch very close and act curious while I fill the bird feeder, so I figured I would give it a shot to see if they would eat out of my hand. First attempt and I had 4 chickadees land on my hand and pick seed right out of my hand! Just thought it was pretty neat!

15-E3-E03-A-CD5-F-436-C-8136-740-F2-D2-A

Enjoyed feeding them out of the hand. Neighbors thought I was nuts standing out in the front yard, in the freezing cold, but I thought it was cool to feed 'em. 

• Like 1