Severe pain in left elbow

First-light

So for the last few months I have severe pain in the outside bone and surrounding area of my elbow. At my yearly physical my Doctor called it Tennis Elbow. He put me on Diclofanac Sodium

it helped a little bit but the pain and stiffness is still there. He told me to come in for a Cortisone shot if it persists. Anybody have any experience with this? I work out and can do most of my routine except for arm curls.

Thanks,

FL

I had a bout with this after my daughter was born. The doctor said it was common due to having to carry around a car seat. It was shooting pains up my forearm starting at the elbow. It was excruciating to shake someone’s hand.  I got a brace like the in the link at the bottom. It didn’t totally get rid of it, but I think it helped. Fortunately it only hung around for about 6 months, and I haven’t had any issues since. I hope it clears up for you, it really sucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tomight-Elbow-Brace-Tennis-Compression/dp/B01M0F5IA4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=tennis+elbow+brace&qid=1613133466&sprefix=tennis+elbo&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVDVVVFkwUE85SFQ2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjY2NzExOExIODlDMllQRDAwJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTYwMzAyWEtVNFZEMlhPSjVEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 1

Yeah, its tennis elbow, no doubt.  Ive had that in both arms off and on over the years--both from lifting and flyfishing.  What you can do is do exercises to stretch the tendons using the opposite motion to relieve the pain. Stand with your back to a table and place your afflicted arm, behind you on the table. Then, turn your palm right-side up so your knucles are touching the table-top. Push down with your fingers so that youre attempting to push your habd up away from the table in a reverse-like motion--this will relieve the pressure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Yeah, its tennis elbow, no doubt.  Ive had that in both arms off and on over the years--both from lifting and flyfishing.  What you can do is do exercises to stretch the tendons using the opposite motion to relieve the pain. Stand with your back to a table and place your afflicted arm, behind you on the table. Then, turn your palm right-side up so your knucles are touching the table-top. Push down with your fingers so that youre attempting to push your habd up away from the table in a reverse-like motion--this will relieve the pressure.

OMG that is the spot. How often do I do this? 

19 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I had a bout with this after my daughter was born. The doctor said it was common due to having to carry around a car seat. It was shooting pains up my forearm starting at the elbow. It was excruciating to shake someone’s hand.  I got a brace like the in the link at the bottom. It didn’t totally get rid of it, but I think it helped. Fortunately it only hung around for about 6 months, and I haven’t had any issues since. I hope it clears up for you, it really sucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tomight-Elbow-Brace-Tennis-Compression/dp/B01M0F5IA4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=tennis+elbow+brace&qid=1613133466&sprefix=tennis+elbo&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVDVVVFkwUE85SFQ2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjY2NzExOExIODlDMllQRDAwJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTYwMzAyWEtVNFZEMlhPSjVEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Just ordered it-Thanks!!

13 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Interesting therapy. I have the same issues...will give it a try.

5 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

I got a horrible bout of tennis elbow from putting tree steps in.... Had to wear tight wrap in that spot when working out and still can not do certain bicep exercises cause I do not want it to flare up.... Will never put tree steps in again even with the tool............

Pain sucks so bad. I actually feel better after exercising it like Northcounrty said!

This is my left elbow. I'm right handed. The only thing I can think of that is repetitive motion for my left arm is the bent position when I jog. I run everyday about 40 minutes. Maybe this motion is doing it?

4 minutes ago, First-light said:

Pain sucks so bad. I actually feel better after exercising it like Northcounrty said!

This is my left elbow. I'm right handed. The only thing I can think of that is repetitive motion for my left arm is the bent position when I jog. I run everyday about 40 minutes. Maybe this motion is doing it?

Tennis and golfers elbow pain comes and goes. Maybe you lifted something in the wrong angle or too much weight that you were not used to.

As I age the only option is to keep moving and stretching. The body deconditions very quickly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, First-light said:

I would say it is possible especially if your moving at a speed of 0ver 6.5 mph... You might have to change arm angle and keep your forearms more upright... 40 minutes is long jog....

• Like 1

I've been dealing with it on and off in both arms over the past few years. I've had a cortisone shot but that only seems to help for a limited time. I think mine is related to a lot of heavy lifting at work. I've just recently started wearing the brace so far with limited results. My orthopedic talked about surgery down the road if it doesn't get any better but hoping to avoid that at all costs.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you look this up on ebay, you can find magnetic wrap that is available for tennis elbow...

I used to use one years ago for competition trapshooting , and found it really helped me a lot.  The one I used was made by Bioflex Company.  

Niiomed Medical Magnetic Tennis Elbow Wrap

• Quality class I medical device by Niiomed, formerly BIOflex.
  • Breathable neoprene and CoolMax for a comfortable fit.
  • One size - 13.75" x 2.5".
  • Magnets make a better tennis elbow brace.
  • Patented concentric design requires less gauss for superior results!
  • Contains one magnetic field, 500 gauss. 

Medical Magnetic Tennis Elbow Magnets Brace Band Pain Relief Formerly BIOflex

•  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:02 AM, First-light said:

OMG that is the spot. How often do I do this? 

Glad it helped !! I did it usually a couple times a day for a good five minutes . Also , another thing you can do is put your hand on top of the fingers of your afflicted arm and apply a gentle force downward.   Then, push against this force back and upward to, once again, “ undo” the repetitive  motion that caused the pain in the first place . 

• Like 1