In the recurve game

Swamp_bucks

Couldn't help myself I've wanted to shoot recurve for a little bit.  Would be nice for hunting but just around the house to fling arrows would be nice.  So I just purchased a samick sage 40#.  It would be nice to be good enough to take it out this coming year but it's going to be a big learning curve.  The bow shop I go through is going to help me get setup and arrows figured out. Either way it will be fun.

Samick-Sage-recurve-bow-1.jpg

• Like 7

Congratulations, looks like a fine Bow, enjoy, practice makes perfect.

I hardly bow hunt at all anymore these days but I still enjoy shooting my bows frequently just for recreation and to stay proficient. Same for my firearms can't be a good shot unless you shoot.

Al

• Like 1

Killed my first 3 deer with a recurve. My grandfather  bought 3 bear grizzlys back in the 60s for him and my uncle and dad. Before  my grandpa  died he have me his. So now i have 2. Trying to get my uncle to give his up since he can't  pull it back anymore. Then i can make a display with  all of them.

• Like 2

Nice bow, it’s fun to try something new/. I have been shooting recurve for a year and it is a lot of fun!  There is a good summer 3D league in CNY if you are interested.  I shoot indoors at Wildwood in Eldridge if that is close to you.  Quite a few trad archers shoot there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Otto said:

Nice bow, it’s fun to try something new/. I have been shooting recurve for a year and it is a lot of fun!  There is a good summer 3D league in CNY if you are interested.  I shoot indoors at Wildwood in Eldridge if that is close to you.  Quite a few trad archers shoot there. 

Ide have to look them up.  I know oxford rod and gun club has a 3 day trad shoot every year and that's in my town so it would be fun to go to that one.

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Ide have to look them up.  I know oxford rod and gun club has a 3 day trad shoot every year and that's in my town so it would be fun to go to that one.

The league is in a different place each Sunday morning.  You are in Chenango County, not too far from most of them.  I shot Cassety Hollow last year, looks pretty close to you.  When they release the schedule, I will post it up.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

It's like throwing a baseball having a reason to practice or play catch in the yard on a regular basis. All muscle memory even if you have form down. It takes dedication that some of us, myself included can't always give.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That's why I'm not going to say I'll get out this year with it to hunt. It would be nice but I want to make sure I'm 100% confident with it at whatever range I can.  May take me a year or 2 to get to that point.  I'm going to be realistic that 15yards is my range with that draw weight and with a 500plus grain arrow.  I'm just  happy to target shoot with it for now.

• Like 3

Congrats!  Perfect weight to work on form with.  I see many people buy 55# plus to learn on and hunt with...in my opinion, if the bow is too heavy, it is harder to practice over long periods of time and form degrades fast.  I recommend meeting up with experienced instinctive shooters to work on form before you potentially develop poor shooting techniques that are hard to break.  Also, check out Fred Asbell’s instinctive shooting videos...he even talks about shooting a compound bow instinctively.  Pick up some blunts...perfect weight for stump shooting!

have fun!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dinorocks said:

Congrats!  Perfect weight to work on form with.  I see many people buy 55# plus to learn on and hunt with...in my opinion, if the bow is too heavy, it is harder to practice over long periods of time and form degrades fast.  I recommend meeting up with experienced instinctive shooters to work on form before you potentially develop poor shooting techniques that are hard to break.  Also, check out Fred Asbell’s instinctive shooting videos...he even talks about shooting a compound bow instinctively.  Pick up some blunts...perfect weight for stump shooting!

have fun!

Thanks and that's the one thing I read was start light and work up.  The nice thing about the sage is I can by new limbs for 50 and up the weight or go down.  I do have to find someone local to get pointers and to coach me a little bit.  It will be fun to learn.  

My shoulder is done, it pops out of the socket and I had a real frustrating year with my compound last year. I went to my buddies house months ago shot a recurve and loved it. More importantly it felt great pulling back. I have two friends who only shoot recurve so today I went and spent some time planning out my new recurve. As others have said my friend gave me a 40# to learn and practice with. 

Anything that comes easy in life generally isn't fun for me so I'm very very excited to start my recurve journey. Already sold my compound and wont be going back. 

• Like 2

i will say i have a Bear Super Kodiak that draws nicer at same weight than cheaper bows. I have a Bruin custom recurve that draws even nicer than the Bear bow. so much so after shooting the Bruin I don't even want to pick up the Bear. Mine are all 50# at 28" and I feel like that is still too much to practice with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i will say i have a Bear Super Kodiak that draws nicer at same weight than cheaper bows. I have a Bruin custom recurve that draws even nicer than the Bear bow. so much so after shooting the Bruin I don't even want to pick up the Bear. Mine are all 50# at 28" and I feel like that is still too much to practice with.

I'm looking at a Bear Grizzly 55# 28". The way my buddy explained, because my actual draw is a 27" the weight I would be shooting is subtracted by 2 pounds per inch. Does that sound correct?

11 hours ago, corydd7 said:

I'm looking at a Bear Grizzly 55# 28". The way my buddy explained, because my actual draw is a 27" the weight I would be shooting is subtracted by 2 pounds per inch. Does that sound correct?

Each bow is different but yes, generally a drop of 2-4lbs per inch is a reasonable estimate.   Remember that your DL is not necessarily the same with a recurve shooting fingers as with a compound.  And lots of deer have been killed with bows shot in the low 40lbs.  Shoot what feels EASY to draw and hold.

• Like 2

Not nearly as much trad bow knowledge as others here but yea that sounds about right might even be a closer to 3lbs. problem is every bow "stacks" different getting to a particular draw length and has a sweet spot range where poundage doesn't change as much. A bow can feel lighter or heavier even at the same weight to me. Applies more to customs but certain bows are built to be tuned with a specific brace height with a specific draw length in mind. At 27" you're in about every mass produced bows wheel house though. Heavy stacking bows change more at and beyond 28" vs before. Just my own experiences I guess.

• Like 1

Open to Recurve, long or Compound Bows! It would be fun to shoot with some HuntingNY members!dbf7b563928b0094e96984cd4bf75085.jpg

It's a bit of a drive but I've been to Deerslayer before. It means I'd put off qualifying for the Outdoor world championship and then decided I should. lol I remember them having a fun course.

• Like 1