Field dressing knife ?

luberhill

There was a similar thread ob this topic not too long ago but for the life of me i couldn't find it. 

I'm using an Outdoor Edge set. Cheap and effective. I like the orange handles because it makes them easy to find. And the gut hook on the bigger blade makes opening the abdominal cavity quick work without worrying about puncturing the guts.

https://www.outdooredge.com/collections/hunting-processing/products/wild-pair-wr-1c

3-1/2" to 4" small fixed blade for me with good steel. Easy to clean and will totally process a deer from start to finish. small enough to make fine cuts but durable enough to split the rib cage. 

I have used the Havalon replicable for trapping and its a very sharp and high quality knife but i like a more durable blade for hunting. 

• Like 5

I picked these up for our Field to Fork class the last 2 years and was very pleased with them.  Definitively not a high end knife but sure out performs it's cost. 

https://morakniv.se/en/product/companion-heavyduty-c/?v=7516fd43adaa

This is my preferred size and style. 

I got these for the first year Filed to Fork. I knew they were great, I've carried one. 

https://caseknives.com/products/leather-mini-finn-hunter-w-leather-sheath

There was a similar thread ob this topic not too long ago but for the life of me i couldn't find it. 
I'm using an Outdoor Edge set. Cheap and effective. I like the orange handles because it makes them easy to find. And the gut hook on the bigger blade makes opening the abdominal cavity quick work without worrying about puncturing the guts.
https://www.outdooredge.com/collections/hunting-processing/products/wild-pair-wr-1c

I had posted about this topic a while back. I’m now using a Old Timer Sharpfinger. In fact, I bought 2 in case one dulls while I’m in the thick of it. I can go from on the ground to ready for the vacuum sealer with it. I wish they were still American made, but they are not. You can find American made ones on eBay if so inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I picked these up for our Field to Fork class the last 2 years and was very pleased with them.  Definitively not a high end knife but sure out performs it's cost. 

https://morakniv.se/en/product/companion-heavyduty-c/?v=7516fd43adaa

This is my preferred size and style. 

I got these for the first year Filed to Fork. I knew they were great, I've carried one. 

https://caseknives.com/products/leather-mini-finn-hunter-w-leather-sheath

I use a size bigger . Same one my gramps and dad used . Almost 40 years on mine.

https://caseknives.com/products/leather-5-utility-hunter-with-leather-sheath

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Great product but lacks soul. 

I have a modest collection of hunting knives and some are pretty nice but they are for looking at. For me my actual carry field knife is part of the whole hunting experience, my main carry knife is just a decent two blade Western from back when they were made in Colorado USA. I enjoy spending time sharpening it to a razor edge and seeing it do what it was designed to do when it comes to field dressing my animals.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

I used the 3.5 inch long lock back blade by Parker Cutlery for many years.The Case 323-5 with 5 inch blade and leather handle works great.I love the non slip handle on the Schrade USA 142OT and the 4 inch blade works well.The best part is all of these are pretty easy to resharpen.I also use a Gerber with replaceable utility blade as a gut hook when I am fortunate enough to do the dirty work on deer.

hunting knives.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onlybrowning said:

I had posted about this topic a while back. I’m now using a Old Timer Sharpfinger. In fact, I bought 2 in case one dulls while I’m in the thick of it. I can go from on the ground to ready for the vacuum sealer with it. I wish they were still American made, but they are not. You can find American made ones on eBay if so inclined.

That is my favorite.  Thankfully, I still have my "made in USA" one.  I will have to be more careful with it, if they have now offshored.

I do use another old classic Buck 110 up in the northern zone, but only because my father I'm law gifted it to me.  He usually arrives near the scene of the kill with his ATV, before I finish gutting.  He would be offended if he caught me using another knife.

I prefer the Sharp finger, but the Buck 110 aggravation (it dont hold an edge as well and is a pain to clean) is a small price to pay in exchange for the free room and board at a primo hunting/fishing spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

That is my favorite.  Thankfully, I still have my "made in USA" one.  I will have to be more careful with it, if they have now offshored.

I do use another old classic Buck 110 up in the northern zone, but only because my father I'm law gifted it to me.  He usually arrives near the scene of the kill with his ATV, before I finish gutting.  He would be offended if he caught me using another knife.

I prefer the Sharp finger, but the Buck 110 aggravation (it dont hold an edge as well and is a pain to clean) is a small price to pay in exchange for the free room and board at a primo hunting/fishing spot.

It is going to be a long time till I might need a gutting knife.  Hopefully, the weather and fish cooperate this weekend and I can use the other fancy knife that my father in law gave me on some perch or brook trout out of the ice holes.  It hasn't seen any action up there since last Labor day weekend on a quick limit of topwater smallies:

20210215_181828.jpg

Knives you say ? 
Top my most currently used one ,Old Timer Stockman ,carbon steel . 
Then my Case Trapper a true classic . Makes a gut pile from time to time .

Ah my Schrade lb7, gutted my first buck, and rode on my belt on countless adventures, from canoeing the Yukon River, to hiking the deserts and mountains of the West, it’s been in retirement since I briefly lost it 15,20 years ago.  It may come along with me this year ,seems fitting .

Then then  classic Puma White hunter , always thought it was a cool knife , so I bought one . A bit much for dressing a deer, but I sling it on my belt from time to time ,because I can ! 

If I ever kill a big one ,I’ll use the cleaver ,made for me by a friend of my daughter in Buffalo , a Fathers Day gift actually.

9CE77BE0-5C2C-4A69-B1E0-4C0BA359E14C.jpeg

5EC2D525-5F09-4004-B8C1-63D7E3856973.jpeg

• Like 1

I have probably 8 knives . But the one that I bring with me every year for at least the last 30 years is my Schrade folding knife . It has its place in the back pouch in my fanny pack . I must of field dressed at least 50 deer with that knife . Its like an old friend now. Always there when I need it. 

Edited by SportsmanNH