Field dressing knife ?

luberhill

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

That is my favorite.  Thankfully, I still have my "made in USA" one.  I will have to be more careful with it, if they have now offshored.

I do use another old classic Buck 110 up in the northern zone, but only because my father I'm law gifted it to me.  He usually arrives near the scene of the kill with his ATV, before I finish gutting.  He would be offended if he caught me using another knife.

I prefer the Sharp finger, but the Buck 110 aggravation (it dont hold an edge as well and is a pain to clean) is a small price to pay in exchange for the free room and board at a primo hunting/fishing spot.

These days I prefer any very small razor sharp folding knife with a good point.  I agree the Sharp Finger is a great knife, a nice choice for a fixed blade.  I owned one of those pretty Buck 110 knives in my late teens, had to save up for it.  I managed to lose in the excitement of gutting one of my first deer.  Years later my cousin found it in the woods, cleaned it up and uses it to this day.  We are still hunting buddies forty years later and every time I stand over him as he is gutting out his deer I comment what a fine knife that is and how I wished I had one.  Always good for a laugh!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I use this.  Had one of the knives tip break but I did get it replaced. 

410Pn3BFOjL.jpg

71OuGHBa7uL.jpg

I have just the larger of the 2 Gerber knives. I think last year was my second year using it so its maybe used on 4 deer. I must say its sharp and makes quick work of field dressing. I did have the blade crack sometime in between putting it away from the year and taking it back out to pack it up for the new season. Strangest thing ever as it was just sitting on the shelf in a gun safe. Gerber replaced it no questions asked but it did cost me $7 to send it back and I ended up not having it for the entire season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I have just the larger of the 2 Gerber knives. I think last year was my second year using it so its maybe used on 4 deer. I must say its sharp and makes quick work of field dressing. I did have the blade crack sometime in between putting it away from the year and taking it back out to pack it up for the new season. Strangest thing ever as it was just sitting on the shelf in a gun safe. Gerber replaced it no questions asked but it did cost me $7 to send it back and I ended up not having it for the entire season. 

I have one of those big Gerbers also.   It has a stainless steel blade and is made on Asia somewhere I think.  It was inexpensive and I bought it about 5 years ago, when I misplaced my Sharpfinger.  

Maybe I will use it someday.  I found my lost knife before I needed it again.  The Gerber is way heavier, so it is very unlikely that I will use it.  Most likely it will end up as a gift to someone.

I always carry an old Gerber folding saw in my pack.  It gets lots of use trimming branches and cutting pelvis bones on deer.  I always open them up, to make sure everything is cleared out good.  That saw has held up very well.

I also have a Gerber multitool that has served me very well.  I trusted the name, based on the service of those two tools, but the Asian manufacture of the big knife caught me by surprise.  Besides the heft, that is another reason why I have not used it.

I have field dressed deer with a lot of knives and they have all worked fine as long as they are sharp.  I always see Havalon-style knives suggested.  I own one and use it for certain tasks but have never used it for deer. I think they are good for certain things but a traditional knife is more versatile. I wouldn’t want to go into the woods with just a Havalon.  Since I am already carrying a knife (usually a Buck or Benchmade) I just field-dress it with that.  Now, If I am going to be boning it out in the field, then I might bring the Havalon.  Most of the time, my Havalon collects dust. 

On 1/31/2021 at 9:01 AM, Pygmy said:

I suspect that may be urban legend, Rob....The Duke died in 1979 and the LD series wasn't filmed un til the 1990's...

On 2/8/2021 at 4:13 PM, phade said:

How much is a newer 336W worth? Probably 25-50 rounds through it? Had one range session with it and been in the safe since. It's a Remington Marlin...maybe five years old. I know the earlier ones are worth $$$.

10 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Merica !!!

Got one. Actually a horrible field dressing knife. It is based on the Buck 110 which is a proven design, and I used one for years...but the clip point aint the best for field dressing and the handle desing is clumsy in use field dressing.  The automatic version quickly clogs up with fat, blood, etc.  requiring a difficult cleaning process, which never seems to get it all out. Automatics have their utility place, but it isnt in a deers body cavity.

• Like 1

I have had a string of dedicated field dressing knives...starting with the high quality but very affordable Buck 110, retired because the clip point and blocky handle were difficult to use and hold on to. For years I was very happy with a 2 1/2 " drop point with a lanyard that I made myself. very easy to handle, but needed frequent resharpening.  A lanyard on the handle is a must for me, as I can just let go of the knife without dropping it to reposition the deer, etc. without losing it. 

The Schrade Sharpfinger is an excellent knife which took some getting used to. Again, a relatively small blade but easily handled and stays sharp ...and you can put a lanyard on it. My favorite for about the past ten years though, is the Grohmann #1 fixed blade. Great steel, keeps an edge forever, and its somewhat unconventional blade shape is very natural in use. I have about 6 in different configurations. The blade is a bit larger than I normally go for, but it is so well designed you dont realize it...about 3 1/2 inches. Of course it has a lanylard.

Alot of folks end up with a much larger heavier knife than they need, and never realize it for not trying one of the smaller designs. Heck, I have cleaned several deer with my swiss army knife and had no problems...except holding on to the dinky little thing.

• Like 1

Any cheap knife will do if it's close to shaving sharp. I had no dedicated hunting knife. For a handful years I even used cheap $5 Lanski come in an impulse display to put at a bait shop counter.
https://lansky.com/products/small-lockback-green/
I finally ponied up for a good one thats stripped bare bones fixed blade in blaze orange.... Benchmade Altitude
https://www.benchmade.com/15200org.html

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used my buck ranger 112 on a doe this past season and remember why i stopped using foldind knives to gut deer.It's a pain in the butt to clean off the fat that seems to find its way into every crack.I used my buck 102 woodsman on the second doe wiped it off and went on my way.

• Like 1

I have a SOG account and the Ace and Aura XR have been popular and pretty cheap for field dressing. 

I agree relative to field dressing a deer - folders are nice and convenient, but annoying to clean fat and what not out of a folder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I used my buck ranger 112 on a doe this past season and remember why i stopped using foldind knives to gut deer.It's a pain in the butt to clean off the fat that seems to find its way into every crack.I used my buck 102 woodsman on the second doe wiped it off and went on my way.

Agree, this Camillus Heat folder is a great knife, will cut the rid cage open easy !

Razor sharp but a huge pain to clean ..

The dimpled handles and open cavity’s for folding makes it an hour clean up.

Im going to a fixed blade 

On 2/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, Nytracker said:

I use a size bigger . Same one my gramps and dad used . Almost 40 years on mine.

https://caseknives.com/products/leather-5-utility-hunter-with-leather-sheath

I have been using a case for the past 6 or 7 years.  A buddy (who I've cleaned a lot of deer for) picked me up the one below as a gift.  The 3 Inch blade is great for field dressing and the 5 in blade is a great utility knife when you're in the field.  They're sharp and hold and edge.  I sharpen once a year and use a steel in-between.

https://caseknives.com/collections/sporting-knives/products/leather-hunter-two-knife-hunting-set-w-leather-sheath 

091511100327.jpg?size=pdhiI used one of these from the dollar store,, haha,, bid an amazing job, sharp, great for getting all the way into that rear cavity as well as the wind pipe.. I may have to make this my go to knife,,

Best gutting “knife” ever! If guys tried this they’d never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1