Suggestions for buying trees online or bulk orders of trees!

Has anyone been putting in any orders for trees? Fruit, oak pine so on?

just seeing if anyone has found sites that offer the best bang for the buck? I dont mind paying more for a more mature tree either.. just seeing what some of you have found

Thanks!

Lots of counties offer tree seedlings through their cooperative extension or soil and water conservation district.  Usually a good assortment of trees and shrubs.  The state has a program too run out of Saratoga I believe. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Otto said:

Lots of counties offer tree seedlings through their cooperative extension or soil and water conservation district.  Usually a good assortment of trees and shrubs.  The state has a program too run out of Saratoga I believe. 

Great advice. Check with you County Soil and Water Conversation District, they probably do a sale. Cooperative Extension is another great resource. 

Edited by Splitear

• 2 weeks later...

The folks that do Trophy Trees, Schichtel's Nursery Inc, have a full range of fruit and mast trees available and many in sizes larger than the trophy trees.  I bought some dolgo crabapple, hawthorne, some other apple and oaks from them 2 years ago.  I would not suggest their bare root 6' trophy trees, unless I jut got dubs.  The larger 1.5" caliper dolgo's are awesome trees and produced right away.  The oaks died, but it was most likely due to weather conditions.  I do not think they ship though, so you have to pick up.

Lowes and Home Depot start getting trees in this time of year too.  The size of the trees tends to be mixed, so you have to search, but I have done well with them over the years.  I've planted over 2 dozen trees from either retailer and only lost 1 a few years ago.

Edited by Timeless

Don't turn your nose up at the DEC trees just yet.  You'll be amazed how fast they grow and once establish and still a reasonable size you can move them.  And trees I've gotten have often been larger than stated,

But if you can wait, Lowes and Home Depot mark trees down 75% at end of season.  Fall is a great time to plant and they hit the grown running in the Spring.  I've gotten many larger trees this way.  But you have to keep careful watch and even travel between stores for best selections.

• Like 1

Ordered some poplar for a hedge row and larch from DEC Saratoga this year. Put about a hundred chestnuts in the fridge to overwinter. Have to get them started soon. At my age I'm planting for my son, probably be dead by the time they bear nuts.

• 4 weeks later...