Holiday deer hunt is a go ths dec

G-Man

The break between seems odd. why not just through 12/31 like 3S and 1C does? It was cool to bow hunt after xmas while the rest of the state coulnd't hunt. now i don't feel as cool anymore

You would have felt much cooler if you were actually out there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The break between seems odd. why not just through 12/31 like 3S and 1C does? It was cool to bow hunt after xmas while the rest of the state coulnd't hunt. now i don't feel as cool anymore

I would prefer a brake between gun and bow of 2 weeks or min 10 days as well..  deer go back to normal pattern and it's like a second opening day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

With any luck the snowmobile season will come after the first ,I can already hear the crying now about the sleds spooking the deer.

It can open now after regular gun.. clubs just dont but you can run yours anytime you want 

Around WnY I can't remember a season where sleds were able to ride before 1/1 due to trail conditions. I have a lease that the locals ride the gas line all winter in their sleds......deer pop out and end up in there tracks 30 minutes after they right by. People with sleds will have to respect landowners and hunters or the trails will get shut down real quick.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wouldn’t worry about trails being shut down. This year Christmas is on Saturday and so is New Years. I don’t think there will be a lot of guys out this year there will be no full weekends. Unless you take between X-mass and New Years off and have tags left and your wife lets you go out. I won’t take time off; I take all of November off I don’t see that changing. So, I think the numbers will be low for that time frame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

It can open now after regular gun.. clubs just dont but you can run yours anytime you want 

No you can not.  The trails do not open until the deer season is over (that includes late bow/muzzleloader).  Besides that is up to the LANDOWNERS not the clubs.  And to say that public land is open is irrelevant, since most of it can't be accessed by the snowmobiles without using the landowner trails to access it.

I really don't understand how this is such a hard concept to grasp, if the landowners that have trails crossing them hunt the late season the trails will not be opened until it's over.  If/when riders either knowingly or unknowingly ride those trails the landowners get upset and close the trails.  I had to stop many snowmobilers this year riding the last week of muzzle loader and turn them around to prevent this very thing from happening.

41 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You guys that see deer "going back to normal" hunt in an alternate universe from me. I'm out there checking traps in January and deer explode out 200 yards ahead of me and go full bore for as far as I can see them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's only because you have a catch pole in 1 hand and a Louisville slugger in the other.

• Like 1

It's a pretty long season in NY why extend it? Its also a real busy time of season with the holidays I bet when it really comes down to it that many don't hunt. Just saying and if you are one of the lucky ones have at it and good luck!

Edited by First-light

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Now this only applies if you still have any tags left? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. 

Also, depends on the weather for me. I used to go in any weather conditions. But single digit temps, with a below zero wind chill, are not fun for me anymore. But there are times during this period, where we'd be out small game hunting during some pretty nice weather! So any added time to hunt deer is good time! I'm certain that at some point we will take advantage!

Guess I better dust off the old TC Thunderhawk Shadow!!!!

Sounds like you need to build yourself a Taj Mahal! 

I know that where I'll be if I make it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

No you can not.  The trails do not open until the deer season is over (that includes late bow/muzzleloader).  Besides that is up to the LANDOWNERS not the clubs.  And to say that public land is open is irrelevant, since most of it can't be accessed by the snowmobiles without using the landowner trails to access it.

I really don't understand how this is such a hard concept to grasp, if the landowners that have trails crossing them hunt the late season the trails will not be opened until it's over.  If/when riders either knowingly or unknowingly ride those trails the landowners get upset and close the trails.  I had to stop many snowmobilers this year riding the last week of muzzle loader and turn them around to prevent this very thing from happening.

Yes they can local agreements are only thing keeping them closed after regular season you can look it up ,was discussed here in previous post.

You guys that see deer "going back to normal" hunt in an alternate universe from me. I'm out there checking traps in January and deer explode out 200 yards ahead of me and go full bore for as far as I can see them lol

That's because you stink like a rat

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

1 hour ago, First-light said:

It's a pretty long season in NY why extend it? Its also a real busy time of season with the holidays I bet when it really comes down to it that many don't hunt. Just saying and if you are one of the lucky ones have at it and good luck!

I doubt like hell I'll be hunting my spots in Ontario or Livingston County unless I have a buck tag available.  If it is only (I say that not disparagingly) a doe I'm looking for, it'll be a local hunt I'm guessing.  Things are too hectic with family to put much effort into it.......

As far as the additional days; the state needs less deer and more hunter opportunities to kill said deer.  

• Like 2

Triple 12s 8" on center!

Personally I went (3)12’s @6” on center so I didn’t have to worry when my friends son practiced his Karate in the stand.

And yes the happened. The karate not the 6” on center. That was an epic text I got from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1