Holiday deer hunt is a go ths dec

G-Man

The proposal effects riding on all existing trails in the southern zone, with the exception of the small minority of the trails on public land.
Rack....what area in the southern tier are you from? Were the trails rideable in December?
I have a lease in WNY with a small section of trail going through it and all the time I have had the lease I don't think there has been enough snow and the ground frozen enough for safe riding?

I talk with the local club a few times a year and they are all nice about keeping good between the club and hunters.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Rack....what area in the southern tier are you from? Were the trails rideable in December?
I have a lease in WNY with a small section of trail going through it and all the time I have had the lease I don't think there has been enough snow and the ground frozen enough for safe riding?

I talk with the local club a few times a year and they are all nice about keeping good between the club and hunters.

Here in 4P we got about 2 feet on the Thursday of muzzleloader. My neighbor came up from Westchester and rode his sled. He lets me hunt his property, he doesn't hunt. I didn't say a word to him. The local clubs here don't ride until all deer seasons are over. Most trails here are on private property. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

And I probably own more acreage than most on here, so I totally agree that it is their choice, what I'm saying is the season is long enough, if anything it needs to be shortened.  I guess I'm the rarity, I enjoy both hunting and snowmobiling, and feel the snowmobilers in this case are getting the shaft by the state doing this.  What needs to be done to shoot more deer and increase quality is to introduce shorter split firearms seasons, but that will never happen cause New Yorkers are so shortsighted that they will bitch and complain until the cows come home about taking hunting days away.

If you have acreage ride around it, or trailer to state land the club here closes trails when many would ride as snow cover is I adequate.  Having owned and ridden sleds since the 70s  I am in check at the people that ride thru mud and water when there is not enough snow,perhaps they like to replace skaggs and slides.. idk I havent seen enough snow to ride on. Before january in almost 10 years. This year it wanst until end of january and then they closed due to not enough snow and only.reopened this past week. The ones that continued to ride are buzzing across the lake at speed.  Even in chautauqua and western catt county trails were not open. Before jan this year.

3 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

The argument can be made that even a full hour before in some areas is just as bright as 30 mins post sunrise

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Not a chance you’re correct on that.  

40 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am in the Cazenovia area that is southeast of Syracuse.  We are a mini tug hill with much higher elevation than areas around us.

Not a chance you’re correct on that.  
As bright may be a bit of an exaggeration, but bright enough to distinguish what is 40 yards out is by no means a stretch at least in some areas. Would I shoot at a deer if that were legal time? Nope. It's fun to watch them get closer though

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I will preface my statement to come with I am all for adjusting the legal hunting times to 30 min. before and after sunrise/sunset for big game hunting.

But, trying to compare big game hunting times to waterfowl or turkey hunting times really isn't a fair comparison.  The big game hunting is done with a rifle/shotgun that has lethally implications for a long ways beyond the target at hand.  While the waterfowl/turkey hunting is done with birdshot that looses lethal energy much faster.  With that said, the daylight available needs to be good enough to make sure that another hunter is not within the path behind the intended target.  Just something to think about.

But like I said I am all for the change.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

As bright may be a bit of an exaggeration, but bright enough to distinguish what is 40 yards out is by no means a stretch at least in some areas. Would I shoot at a deer if that were legal time? Nope. It's fun to watch them get closer though

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I think a member on this site has Nyctophobia so it’s meaningless to him.   

29 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Seriously? The NZ in this state gets crapped on more then an outhouse seat in an alcoholics only camp ground the morning after a Genny Cream Ale party. No DMP's in most areas up there, and now this? WTF!

Yay for the SZ though.

:rolleyes:

i think in that whitetail plan they were going to open up more anterless oppurtunities in the Northern zone.  So if they pass the whole thing you might see that.  I cancelled a trip i was going on for muzzleloader when i found the area i wanted to hunt was now for antlered deer only.  Would be great to see a late muzzle season up there too.  

• Like 1

i think in that whitetail plan they were going to open up more anterless oppurtunities in the Northern zone.  So if they pass the whole thing you might see that.  I cancelled a trip i was going on for muzzleloader when i found the area i wanted to hunt was now for antlered deer only.  Would be great to see a late muzzle season up there too.  

Late season muzzleloader in the ADK’s will destroy the deer herds. By December most deer are in their winter yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Late season muzzleloader in the ADK’s will destroy the deer herds. By December most deer are in their winter yards.

gotcha - makes sense - thus the reason they dont do it I would think. I like the early season one they have but I usually pick bow hunting first and its still so early for gun hunting. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

100% correct.  In reality, weather dependent it already runs to late in the year in the north.  Many years that have snow a bit early the deer move out to their yards and get slaughtered on the way or in the yard.

• Like 1

I will preface my statement to come with I am all for adjusting the legal hunting times to 30 min. before and after sunrise/sunset for big game hunting.
But, trying to compare big game hunting times to waterfowl or turkey hunting times really isn't a fair comparison.  The big game hunting is done with a rifle/shotgun that has lethally implications for a long ways beyond the target at hand.  While the waterfowl/turkey hunting is done with birdshot that looses lethal energy much faster.  With that said, the daylight available needs to be good enough to make sure that another hunter is not within the path behind the intended target.  Just something to think about.

Well that’s why the rule should only be in place for bow hunters who hunt from tree stands(not cross-gun people though...those things are scary!)

Do I have to say “Hahaha” to make all aware I am kidding....kind of!?!

The snowmobilers perspective:

NYSSA OPPOSES EXTENDED HUNTING

The  NYSSA has submitted comments to the NY Department of Environmental Conservation on their proposal to  add an  extra week of hunting deer by longbow and muzzle loading to the regular  deer hunting season in the Southern Zone.   The week added would be from December 26 through  January 1 of each year.   At the request of may landowners,  the added week would prevent clubs from finalizing the preparation of trails and interfere with what could be the opening of the snowmobile season when many families choose to ride together.   NYSSA’s full comments can be read  here.    Snowmobilers are asked to write the Department and share their opposition.   Send an email to  [email protected]

https://nysnowmobiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/NYSSA-Deer-Hunting-Comments.pdf

4 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

Yet 95% of hunting is done out of stands especially opening day.. bullets dont go far when aimed at the ground.  Seeing a beard or identification by species is the same as identifying a deer.. and most hinting accidents are in turkey season with the less lethal shot even at shorter ranges..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Didn't read through all the posts as they definitely got sideways, but did the sunrises sunset law get changed, or is that still pending?   

All in favor of the holiday hunt, and changing the sunrises, sunset law. 

That part is in budget proposal ,but could be stricken before final approval vote. Same as crossbow and lowering age.

• Like 2