2021 Fall in the Big Woods

Salmon_Run

Little bit of a sore topic right now, not sore in angry, just a bit of sadness and unknowing. With our pup being in the condition she's in our annual trip might not happen this year. Have to put the pup first and any large spending second right now. Plus, depending on how fast the cancer spreads she may not be able to make the trip.

Fall is a long ways off. So right now I have no plans. Maybe getting in better shape.

I'll be getting a weekend of turkey hunting in the big woods this Spring, a first for me hunting gobblers in the true big woods. Looking forward to the experience and expecting nothing.

• Sad 1

i plan on at least one day of still hunting in the Dacks.  Last year i went up for a day to an old stompin ground i havent hunted in 25 years.  And I really enjoyed myself.  Prob the best day hunting all year.  I got to within about 50 yards of a a grunting spike/3 point, but didnt take him as it was before the southern gun opener and I already had 2 deer in the freezer.   But it was such a nice day.  Still hunted in and out for about a 2.5 mile round trip.  Wet ground and wind in my face toting the 30/30.  Really enjoyed it and plan to at least do a day of that every season. 

• Like 2

I have my doe picked out for early ML season. I had 3 encounters with her during that week last year.  I saw her and her fawn an hour ago when I was out on the lake ice fishing.  She was a few hundred yards away.  If you zoom in you can see her on the lead, behind the tip-up.

20210219_180745.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Whitetailhobo said:

I Wander  a lot in the moose river  plains . We will probably be a couple miles south of the Old kenWells camp.  I think we’ve located a nice canoe in or hike and location weather changes 

I've caught some nice trout out of the red and sumner rivers up there.  A few out of some ponds as well.  

• Like 1

No, there is not a single traffic signal in Hamilton County, and I appreciate the responses here and glad to hear some of us are looking ahead.

I, too may do some turkey hunting at my location, last spring I had a gobbler walk right by camp gobbling away the entire time within minutes of me shutting off a chainsaw.....

Best of luck and lets update on our plans as the spring and summer approach.... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 10:31 AM, Salmon_Run said:

No, there is not a single traffic signal in Hamilton County, and I appreciate the responses here and glad to hear some of us are looking ahead.

I, too may do some turkey hunting at my location, last spring I had a gobbler walk right by camp gobbling away the entire time within minutes of me shutting off a chainsaw.....

Best of luck and lets update on our plans as the spring and summer approach.... 

no traffic light makes me want to go there more.  Good luck on the gobbler. 

Love the Indian lake area.  Chimney Mtn and Kings Flow is just an incredible spot. Used to get a cabin there for a long weekend every year

Chimney 2016.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Great county; but sadly growing and big influx of seasonal buying last summer, about two out of three vehicles were from another state....

Hope snows out early and the trout are active before the full on black fly season commences....and I'm setting  the 870 sights on that gobbler come May.

Edited by Salmon_Run
correction
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m seriously considering only carrying the flintlock this year. No one try’s to make tracking deer harder but I think it would be a lot of fun tracking a buck toting a flintlock!

Buckmaster,

That's awesome and I hope you make it happen..

32 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

Buckmaster,

That's awesome and I hope you make it happen..

I have an old Traditions "Fox-river 50", side-lock that I may press into service during the early ML week.  It is a cap-lock, but it is a compact,  easy-handling gun and would be much nicer toting thru the swampy Adorondack bush, then my heavy T/C Omega.

I have not fired it in over 10 years and it needs some new sights.  That will give me a good early spring shop and range  project.  Also, I am going to scout out a fine (town of) creek bottom, on Memorial day weekend, and maybe get a brook trout or two in the process.

20210306_173134.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

I grew up slogging through that Adirondack mud and fishing backwoods beaver dams and stained water streams. Maybe I'll add brook trout fishing to my list for this year in more frequency. I remember when the limit was 10 trout and one could fill that any given day with some small bullhead throw into the mix.

My grandmother had an electric fry pan that cooked may a trout that were so fresh they curled as the cooked....and my grandfather, being from Utica, sat on the porch drinking Utica Club or Carling Black Label beer from a can... 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

I grew up slogging through that Adirondack mud and fishing backwoods beaver dams and stained water streams. Maybe I'll add brook trout fishing to my list for this year in more frequency. I remember when the limit was 10 trout and one could fill that any given day with some small bullhead throw into the mix.

My grandmother had an electric fry pan that cooked may a trout that were so fresh they curled as the cooked....and my grandfather, being from Utica, sat on the porch drinking Utica Club or Carling Black Label beer from a can... 

Last year, I spent mid-days of early ML week out on a lake fishing for smallmouth bass, and only hunted early and late.  This year, I will be in the creek bottoms at mid-day with that little side-lock and my fly rod.

I only drink Dos Equis especial or Modelo negras when I am up there lately, because that is what my in-laws keep in stock for me.  Either of those goes well with surf and turf, which I hope I can provide.

• Like 1

Big woods hunting is very different from western New York, deer in the big woods are tougher to pattern as food sources vary greatly, it often requires many travel miles on foot in rough terrain. It helps to have a small amount of snow to successfully track, but not deep snow to impeded travel on foot. 

Terrain can be rugged and vary from hardwoods, big blow downs to swampy areas and dense hemlocks and alders. Also, one will simply not see the volume of deer seen in other areas. There is a bunch of followers here that love the big woods challenges.......

It's a challenge but rewarding and can put some big Adirondack deer on the ground...

Best of luck out there....   

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 7:20 PM, Whitetailhobo said:

I Wander  a lot in the moose river  plains . We will probably be a couple miles south of the Old kenWells camp.  I think we’ve located a nice canoe in or hike and location weather changes 

Have you ever bushwacked in to the old Kenwells site? I havent in years, but at the time (early nineties) there was alot of relics/foundatioons, etc. to explore. I would like to find more about the sites history, but it is tough to find more than just bits and pieces.