2021 Fall in the Big Woods

Salmon_Run

57 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I have a new deer rifle...a Mauser m18 in .308 that I will be final sighting in the very near future. The area behind me was logged last winter (2019/2020) and I am eager to see what it will draw this year.

Best of luck with the new rifle, I wish they'd log the Adirondacks in selected sections. The old growth forest offer limited browse down low. But that is an entire different topic...

Hamilton County has few deer, but big deer and opportunities to hunt days/weeks without seeing another sole.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Have you ever bushwacked in to the old Kenwells site? I havent in years, but at the time (early nineties) there was alot of relics/foundatioons, etc. to explore. I would like to find more about the sites history, but it is tough to find more than just bits and pieces.

I have not been into the kenwells in a long time . There is a bit of history back there. Jay ohern  has a 5-6 book set on the moose river plains history he has recently wrote And published for sale .  He is a great adk author.  I have found a few old hunt camps remains and all sorts of log equipment over  the years. That area holds all sorts of secrets. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have enough of handicap without carrying a flintlock.  I'll be scouting more, practicing snap shooting with both open sights and a red dot.  I'll use what ever works best for me.  I would like to acquire a small SxS like a Polaris Ranger.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, Whitetailhobo said:

I have not been into the kenwells in a long time . There is a bit of history back there. Jay ohern  has a 5-6 book set on the moose river plains history he has recently wrote And published for sale .  He is a great adk author.  I have found a few old hunt camps remains and all sorts of log equipment over  the years. That area holds all sorts of secrets. 

That’s interesting ; is the old Kenwells place one of the Great Camps ? I’d like to find out more about it . 

1 hour ago, Salmon_Run said:

Thanks I'm in Morehouse and maybe 8-10 left here....It just needs to be gone at this point..

Stay well

fact about Morehouse.  I have NEVER gone thru there without almost hitting a turkey!  lol.   Just past where 8 starts to climb past 365 and 8 intersection a couple of miles.   EVERY time i go thru there are turkeys in the road! 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

fact about Morehouse.  I have NEVER gone thru there without almost hitting a turkey!  lol.   Just past where 8 starts to climb past 365 and 8 intersection a couple of miles.   EVERY time i go thru there are turkeys in the road! 

The turkey population is pretty healthy in the area, deer are in up and down depending on winters and the bear population has plummeted over the last 18 months from what I see. None seems to know why but they dropped in numbers.

Last spring I was chain sawing in my yard and shut off the saw, within about two minutes a gobbler strutted by me while I was sitting on a log, gobbling away the whole time. He wasn't a jake either, he had no fear..down by Piseco there was a gobbler last spring almost every time I passed through sitting on the guide wire proud as could be...

Drive safe...

• Like 1