Turkey vest

Jeremy K

I decided to get a turkey vest to use this year ,just curious what you guys are using . I've asked a couple other members offline for their advice . I'd like it to have a seat , lots of storage is good but i'm not really a fan of giant pockets to just dump everything ,a mixture of dedicated compartments and pockets would be nice . 

• Like 1

I decided to get a turkey vest to use this year ,just curious what you guys are using . I've asked a couple other members offline for their advice . I'd like it to have a seat , lots of storage is good but i'm not really a fan of giant pockets to just dump everything ,a mixture of dedicated compartments and pockets would be nice . 
I love my alps aps or something like that. Has a nice little kickstand to make a backrest without a tree or anything and I also love using it for coyote hunting too! Works fantastic. Now if only my calling/scent control skills were as excellent as the vest

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

Mine's the Cabelas Tactical Tat'r III. There's some things I've changed with it or would like to have changed but it works well. Massive thick seat cushion that flips up out of the way or down under you. hunter orange flagging for walking. silent pocket closures. back padding for rest against the tree. pocket layout is intuitive. only one pocket can create bulk while sitting. ...all things i'd look for.  I've had it for many years though and model not available unless you find it on Ebay or something. Best advice is to test it out in the store if you can and sit right on the floor with it.

• Like 2

I have the tenzing, it’s very well made and on the rare occasions when I decide I’m going to sit and call I wear it and really like it but there way more pockets and weight than I need for run and gun that I do most days.

I also have the cables with the kick stand and they’re not even in the same league, the cabelas isn’t even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

I think I'm ditching the traditional vest this year and going with one of those low turkey hunting chairs. They're pretty light, look comfortable, at least my buddy looks comfortable sleeping in it, you don't need a tree. How much stuff do you really need, with a turkey vest, you take way more junk than you use.

i love my turkey chair.  I actually carry a duffle bag with a shoulder strap.  It can fit two decoys and that chair all in one.  Rest of my gear goes in my jacket pockets.  I setup the chair and decoy before light and good to go. But if i want to move i just have that slung over my back and just have to carry the shotgun.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i love my turkey chair.  I actually carry a duffle bag with a shoulder strap.  It can fit two decoys and that chair all in one.  Rest of my gear goes in my jacket pockets.  I setup the chair and decoy before light and good to go. But if i want to move i just have that slung over my back and just have to carry the shotgun.  

I think this might the way to go, less is more. What chair do you have?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

I think this might the way to go, less is more. What chair do you have?

Got it at Walmart actually. 2 years ago.  Sits just off the ground , way comfortable and can sit with shotgun on you knee, ready to shoot. It also has a carry strap. Which i use sometimes and just pack my rubber decoy in my jacket 

But I usually use this bag and I can also take one or two decoys in it.  Bag is big but easy to use.   

IMG_20210219_181945909.jpg

IMG_20210219_181850317.jpg

IMG_20210219_181901636.jpg

58 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I have one I'll give you hate them went to a simple satchel and a stool years ago cariies all I need light and easy and fast . 

Thank you for the offer , I got the green light from the wife to get one for my birthday ,I'm gonna rake advantage of it . 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have the Alps Long Spur. Has the seat, tons of storage space. One of the best features is almost all of that storage space is removable with the exception of the hip pouches. You can run and gun it or pack what ever suits your needs. The only thing I don’t care for was the placement of the bird bag, it’s high on the back and bothers my neck if not positioned correctly.

Another vest you might want to take a look at is made by Badlands. I have no experience with it, but I have two other Badlands backpacks and I love both of them. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Got it at Walmart actually. 2 years ago.  Sits just off the ground , way comfortable and can sit with shotgun on you knee, ready to shoot. It also has a carry strap. Which i use sometimes and just pack my rubber decoy in my jacket 

But I usually use this bag and I can also take one or two decoys in it.  Bag is big but easy to use.   

IMG_20210219_181945909.jpg

IMG_20210219_181850317.jpg

IMG_20210219_181901636.jpg

I've got the same chair. Very comfortable, but bulky and heavy IMO. I bought a vest from Dicks a few yrs ago when I know I'm only have a hr or so to hunt. The butt pad is very helpful. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 10:47 AM, Jeremy K said:

I forgot all about this did you get one?

On 2/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, rachunter said:

I have one of those cabela’s kickstand vest.I used it a few times,but prefer my backpack. If your interested I’ll post some pictures. I don’t remember what I payed for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabela's turkey vest - Hunting Items For Sale and Trade - Hunting New York - NY Empire State Hunting Forum - Bow Hunting, Fishing, Bear, Deer (huntingny.com)

11 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I went with the alps turkey grand slam,  I took the metal frame out of ,I dont plan on sitting anywhere except against a tree. 

• Like 1

Went a completely different route and think this will be a game changer in the blind.
It's a redhead longbeard blind bag. Has nice shoulder straps for walking in...and a zip open front that doubles as a shelf. There are hooks on the back side of the bag that will allow it to be hooked to a hub on the blind. While I was searching for a new possible chest pack i stumbled across this and think it will work well for deer season as well. Since my boys have started joining me in the blind things get really crazy...and hopefully this will keep things a little more organized.80143b841d7ad1f67b2c4ab809dd94f4.jpgcfb18b6aa3383bdd1dfd49b532bb91d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Went a completely different route and think this will be a game changer in the blind.
It's a redhead longbeard blind bag. Has nice shoulder straps for walking in...and a zip open front that doubles as a shelf. There are hooks on the back side of the bag that will allow it to be hooked to a hub on the blind. While I was searching for a new possible chest pack i stumbled across this and think it will work well for deer season as well. Since my boys have started joining me in the blind things get really crazy...and hopefully this will keep things a little more organized.80143b841d7ad1f67b2c4ab809dd94f4.jpgcfb18b6aa3383bdd1dfd49b532bb91d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

If you’re the type of guy walks to one single spot or even multiple spots to a blind you may be ok honestly. But if you’re mobile and ever exposed I can’t see that as anything but a problem. 

• Like 1

I’ve had lots of vest of the years. None are perfect. I heard the cabelas kickstand thing mentioned. Idk I’m no fan of that vest. Material is thin, no shell holders and I don’t know a single guy with any type kickstand vest left the kickstand in. That’s something you need to consider. The premise is ok but think about it? How often are you not gonna have a tree to back up to? Think where you’ll be hunting. It’s never in the middle of nowhere and not in thick cover for turkey. Always a tree nearby. 
The vest I currently use is a Tenzing. That’s a great vest. It too has issues, the material is very good but now it could make you warm. The next issue is the pockets. You mention not wanting them too big. These aren’t but they don’t open far enough for me. I’m guessing it’s so you don’t lose anything and if you don’t want huge pockets it’ll work. Shortcoming and all I’ve found no better vest and I think myself or a friend has had most and I’ve tried them. I should say save the badlands. I’ve never used that. Pros and cons. None are perfect