NY Strikes again

The receiver/frame is the gun (by legal definition); and has the serial #.  Everything else, stock, barrel, trigger assembly, etc  is a part.  An FFL is needed to transfer ownership of receiver/frame, as that is the "gun".  A receiver/frame that is only 80% finished is not by legal definition (yet) a gun.  They are novelty paperweights.  These 80% (or less) finished receiver/frames can be purchased without an FFL.   This law is aimed at stopping this.  Some folks have been purchasing 80% finished receivers, completing the work, and building operational firearms.  These firearms will have no FFL paper trail of origin.  One of the school shootings was done by a kid, who was prohibited from firearms ownership due to mental illness, who did this.

He finished the rest of the receiver by milling and drilling what was left to be done, then bought the upper, stock, mags, etc and put it together resulting in a complete, functional rifle.  Perfectly legal at the time.

I'm not sure it's true any mass shooter ever did this though.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It’ll cost you about $800-$900 to build a Glock clone this way . Demand has caused some shortages in this area as well, and more and more states are going after them , the time to do this was a few years ago .

Totally agreed , but its another blow to what us in NY can not do anymore.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

One of the primary Senate sponsors wants every gun registered with a serial number.

Funny thing is there are a pile of older guns, mostly sporterized bolt action rifles with no numbers.

I know of several instances when traveling and having to get a temporary firearm license in another country, owners have had guns engraved with fictitious serial numbers to get paperwork.

I run into issues with a custom rifle as it only has a 3 digit number, and even US Customs can't wrap their heads around even that concept of why it's so short. They think it's some sort of model number.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

One of the primary Senate sponsors wants every gun registered with a serial number.

Funny thing is there are a pile of older guns, mostly sporterized bolt action rifles with no numbers.

I know of several instances when traveling and having to get a temporary firearm license in another country, owners have had guns engraved with fictitious serial numbers to get paperwork.

I run into issues with a custom rifle as it only has a 3 digit number, and even US Customs can't wrap their heads around even that concept of why it's so short. They think it's some sort of model number.

Seecamp lets you order a custom ser# , guys do birthdates ,their initials , this guy did J Bond 007 ! 

C9C94531-66D4-4077-B761-C094C3719D9A.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Seecamp lets you order a custom ser# , guys do birthdates ,their initials , this guy did J Bond 007 ! 

C9C94531-66D4-4077-B761-C094C3719D9A.jpeg

I missed by a couple rifles having serial number matching caliber.

Could have had a 375/375, just a few off. Damn.

I have a barrel with my birthdate as serial. Some places a seperate barrel requires licensing and needs a number.