Hubby says I have lost it ... have I ???.

cynthiafu

So everyday I watch videos of turkey hunting and bow hunting . I practice the turkey call  and try to copy the videos . Bow hunting videos I watch and try to learn the standing and the spots  . I won't be in a tree ill be on the ground  so I am learning and trying to figure it out were I can be and  have a good spot. .I can't wait to be able to go pull the bow again . I have a long hall way was thinking about putting  in a target at the end with a big mat behind it .  Am I the only one ??? Have I lost it ?

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Pretty sure,I  saw Rob here in one of his videos practice  his Archery inside with a good setup.

You'd have to have pretty big balls ('cuse the rough language Cynthia) to practice in your living space.  I shoot, like others here, in my basement.  My range is VERY limited though.  I think moog can get an honest 20 yards!!

Good for you Cynthia, we're pulling for you. :)

• Like 1

I have shot in my house -8 yards. I found it helpful when I was starting to just pull the bow, find my anchor points and get use to “pulling” the trigger. Be careful . Very close targets require a “longer pin” and make sure the family knows to stay clear!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have a target set up in the basement at 10 yards.  Since I joined an afternoon indoor league I just shoot there once a week now.  I will have a 3D and bag target set up when the weather breaks, and I may actually set up a tree stand in my backyard to practice from as well. 

Nothing wrong with wanting to learn as much as possible! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

So everyday I watch videos of turkey hunting and bow hunting . I practice the turkey call  and try to copy the videos . Bow hunting videos I watch and try to learn the standing and the spots  . I won't be in a tree ill be on the ground  so I am learning and trying to figure it out were I can be and  have a good spot. .I can't wait to be able to go pull the bow again . I have a long hall way was thinking about putting  in a target at the end with a big mat behind it .  Am I the only one ??? Have I lost it ?

Have you ever watched roger raglan? He does most of his hunting from the ground! Maybe you can pick up a tip or two from watching him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You'd have to have pretty big balls ('cuse the rough language Cynthia) to practice in your living space.  I shoot, like others here, in my basement.  My range is VERY limited though.  I think moog can get an honest 20 yards!!

Good for you Cynthia, we're pulling for you. :)

My balls are titanium and the sack is kevlar. So yes, I have and still do on occasion shoot in my home. Refused to be one of those "I don't have anyplace to shoot my bow." squawkers. I don't shoot towards any windows and have a good backstop of a wood door, so anything bad that could happen shooting an arrow down my hall can in a basement just the same. At max I can get almost 18 yards. 

As for the original question: Nah! You haven't lost it @cynthiafu, you caught the bug.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Furnace and dryer would take an errant shaft before the hot water tank............none of this would please me though. :)

Moog’s hot water tank , the target is just to the right of it iirc .

2 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Nope once you start archery it's hard to walk away.  If you do go from the ground I would look into a ghillie suit to help break up your outline.  Also The Hunting Public have a ton of ground hunting videos and advice for it.  Good luck and hopefully you knock down a deer with your bow and drop a giant tom in the spring.

• Like 1

Hunting from the ground adds a few unique challenges that the tree surfers don't have as bad. You need some sort of cover, a man made brush blind, a store bought blind ( unless you can leave the pop-up/hub blind out there they are a PITA to carry in set up and carry out for every hunt. ). At minimum you have to set up tucked into some brushy cover making sure you have room enough to twist and draw the bow.

A few years ago I was tucked back into some brushy stuff and when I drew on a doe my elbow hit and snapped a dead twig, it sounded like a gun going off to me and the doe bolted like that's what she heard too. I was pissed off at myself because I knew better, but didn't take the time to completely make sure I could draw. Now I pile up some dead branches in front of those small openings and make damn sure I can move a little and be able to draw with room to spare.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

Rumor has it [mention]Biz-R-OWorld [/mention] may hunt from the ground - I think I recall him subtly mentioning it once or twice. I imagine he will have some tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may hunt from the ground,but does he shoot stuff as well? That matthews still needs breaking in...

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 7:16 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

I would say get some resistance bands and use those to workout and strengthen yourself to pull the bow until you can get outside to shoot.  Weird things can happen pulling back a bow, accidentally hit the release etc.  

But sure sounds like your excited for the season.  Your gonna love it. 

I got some resistance bands i have been practicing  with them everyday now . First day I did to much my arms were sore .  But I started with the 30  felt to easy so I jumped to 50 and ouch my arms hurt next day . But I will be ready

• Like 2