Received The Age On My Buck

Lawdwaz

Molars are unreliable as they wear  and show dentine in a wavy hard to read patter. according to what is being eaten , counting teeth "rings" is by far the best method  incisors are much easier to see the rings in.   The oldest buck and my largest was aged at 8.5 bu ring count.  Molar wear by dec biologist said it was 3.5 until I showed shed to him and said this was from 7 years ago..  he looked dumbfounded and I decided to sent in tooth to be aged ..  congrats on an old master of the woods

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Just curious........Why do they ask your guess on the age?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

To help them market and back into coin flip situations.

Marketing the big one though. Older deer aging is problematic by tooth wear; thus they use that to show that people are off by X years, or X% less accurate.

• Like 3

Marketing the big one though. Older deer aging is problematic by tooth wear; thus they use that to show that people are off by X years, or X% less accurate.

Yup. And Jerkman put 9.5 on his submission so it’s gonna be whacked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup. And Jerkman put 9.5 on his submission so it’s gonna be whacked out

Yep it's at least 9.5 seen his turned down main beam for the past 7 years sporadically

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

11 hours ago, G-Man said:

Molars are unreliable as they wear  and show dentine in a wavy hard to read patter. according to what is being eaten , counting teeth "rings" is by far the best method  incisors are much easier to see the rings in.   The oldest buck and my largest was aged at 8.5 bu ring count.  Molar wear by dec biologist said it was 3.5 until I showed shed to him and said this was from 7 years ago..  he looked dumbfounded and I decided to sent in tooth to be aged ..  congrats on an old master of the woods

His 1.5 shed was similar to his 8.5 rack?

36 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

His 1.5 shed was similar to his 8.5 rack?

His 2.5 is an exact match lot less mass and just . Just slightly smaller legnths of points and spread if you llooked at it as a pair . Has a unique wobble in the beam, Neighbor has his  4.5 and 5.5 year shed was still the same just little heavier and wider.  Worse eating deer I ever had. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, G-Man said:

His 2.5 is an exact match lot less mass and just . Just slightly smaller legnths of points and spread if you llooked at it as a pair . Has a unique wobble in the beam, Neighbor has his  4.5 and 5.5 year shed was still the same just little heavier and wider.  Worse eating deer I ever had. 

That neighbor needs to do the right thing and fork those over!

11 hours ago, phade said:

Sadly I agree on this.......really there's no other option, are there?  Unless a guy spends untold hours categorizing 1.5 year old bucks then each year after that matching all them up to the previous years mug shots, I think it's very hard, if not impossible to follow them through their years.  Oh and good luck if a similar looking buck shows up and the "other" gets killed or wanders out of your honey hole for greener pastures!!

12 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sadly I agree on this.......really there's no other option, are there?  Unless a guy spends untold hours categorizing 1.5 year old bucks then each year after that matching all them up to the previous years mug shots, I think it's very hard, if not impossible to follow them through their years.  Oh and good luck if a similar looking buck shows up and the "other" gets killed or wanders out of your honey hole for greener pastures!!

I think it's easier to keep tabs on bucks that make it to three as antler expressions start to become more clear. But, that doesn't work all of the time and isn't a failsafe. I usually try to match up the antlers with some other characteristic, throat patch, the pattern around the muzzle, etc. Sadly as well, we also get so few older class bucks in the mix that they stand out like a sore thumb when you see them or get them on cam.

• Like 2

I agree with this. Deer age is always bastardizing wear and replacement method. We've only used matsons lab in MT. Age estimate using tooth wear and replacement is always done by us but we never give it to them and they never ask. We usually have it nailed or have it age come back as the heavily weighted age between two ages that are 1 year apart.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

If a guy from DEC said 3.5 yrs old on an 8.5 yr old buck it doesn't matter what it was eating or where in the state it was from he needs to be reassigned to a different job responsibility. Photos with glare or not completely in very good focus can throw someone off but we're usually wondering between 2 ages that are a year apart. We go through way over a hundred jawbones every season though. We work as a panel of three people and ones that we can't nail down or most any bucks closer to maturity we send center two incisors out for CA analysis. Our NDA branch is heavy into co-ops though. Less of them and more individuals doing qdm instead out in WNY I think.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, The Jerkman said:

Yep it's at least 9.5 seen his turned down main beam for the past 7 years sporadically

#WeDemandADislikeButton

can't believe i missed larry's JAWS thread. i found it though after reading this. your buck is likely not 6.5+.  as much as I could tell i got to at least 4.5 but you should get docked a year for your taxidermist lopping off the whole back molar on each side! can't get to 5.5 if the tooth isn't there to look at. haha 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

can't believe i missed larry's JAWS thread. i found it though after reading this. your buck is likely not 6.5+.  as much as I could tell i got to at least 4.5 but you should get docked a year for your taxidermist lopping off the whole back molar on each side! can't get to 5.5 if the tooth isn't there to look at. haha 

Lol......now I have to go back and look at his post with at least one eye open. :)

Yeah I honestly have no clue I'd say likely 5.5 at the oldest maybe little less. I honestly have no clue. Either way a mature deer for sure. He just made the mistake of making a scrape in front of me

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Yeah I honestly have no clue I'd say likely 5.5 at the oldest maybe little less. I honestly have no clue. Either way a mature deer for sure. He just made the mistake of making a scrape in front of me

#WeDemandADislikeButton

4.5 is a respectable deer for anywhere.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Jerkman’s buck came back at 9.5! Post it up!

• Like 1