Hamilton County Deer

NFA-ADK

http://www.hamiltonc...s/02142012_herd

Apparently I am not the only one complaining about the deer population in Hamilton County. I know many on this site have said the deer population in the ADK was high but this confirms what I am seeing... I think It is funny how NYS wants more people to buy licences yet they are not willing to help the population that we hunt for or manage the land we pay for... I know you can not compair the entire ADK with one county but this area seems to have some of the largest tracks of land that is managed or should I say unmanaged by the DEC. Granted winter kill is hard in these area's and predation takes it's toll but it seems these area's with larger tracks of state land seem more deviod of wildlife. Shortening the season by one day I do not think will make a dif. and antler only restriction seems to have no affect accourding to the DEC. Logging is out as no one wants to allow NYS to control that. So far the season date changes seems to be the only thing that can be done by the DEC.

Question is what can be done to help improve the habitat in these area's except hope for a mild winter? Or are we just to leave forever wild as forever empty of wild life...

Again this is a topic for trying to improve habitat for all hunting and what can be done to improve it...

Any Ideas???

Clear cutting, Controled burns, shortening the season, antler only restriction are some idea's. Clear cut and burns are not allowed and antler restrictions are said to be low impact.

I feel the Antler restrictions would help yet the dec complains they will not be able to get population controled with this restriction in area's that need it... I say keep the bow season open for doe and allow archery clubs to take care of populations where needed. This would allow control of herds yet still restrict doe take in area's where populaton is low.

Plain and simple if you take a kid hunting or fishing and get nothing and see nothing you will not keep them interested very long. By improving habitat and population you have a better chance of improving hunter retention... helping the hunter, the state and the DEC...

What do you think would help?

Edited by NFA-ADK

Did I read that right a DEC oficer admit to cougers being a problem ?

"Noting some things simply cannot be changed, (ECO) Pierce asked the audience to be realistic. “What I’d really like to hear from you is your perspectives, and any documentation you have to make your point would be desirable.”

He cautioned, “We all know the habitat is shrinking, but we are not here to cut down the forest preserve. That’s not going to happen.

“We all know coyotes and cougars are a problem."

Edited by jhog1

I have hunted Hamilton County for nearly 35 years and watched the deer population drop each year. My take is the state "forever land" has no food. The woods have mature trees and they canopy the forest floor and no new browse will grow. There has been no lumbering or any type of activity to reverse this along with harsh winter kills, prediation (coyotes galore now) and we have no deer.

The woods once were thick and brush filled and now you can see for hundreds of yards in open woods with very large mature hardwoods. In my opinion what needs to happen is selective logging....the state needs money..lets sell lumber. In Morehouse there are thousands of mature cherry, maple and beech trees standing to waste away and eventually become wind fall damaged..

Edited by Salmon_Run

I have hunted Hamilton County for nearly 35 years and watched the deer population drop each year. My take is the state "forever land" has no food. The woods have mature trees and they canopy the forest floor and no new browse will grow. There has been no lumbering or any type of activity to reverse this along with harsh winter kills, prediation (coyotes galore now) and we have no deer.

The woods once were thick and brush filled and now you can see for hundreds of yards in open woods with very large mature hardwoods. In my opinion what needs to happen is selective logging....the state needs money..lets sell lumber. In Morehouse there are thousands of mature cherry, maple and beech trees standing to waste away and eventually become wind fall damaged..

I agree, the state routinely logs different sections of the stateland i hunt in the southern tier, which helps creat new growth (aka deer food) and keeps our herd numbers up. It seems so obvious, but no one has ever accused a NYS goivernment of acting logically

Im really suprised no one hasnt walked out there and set it on fire yet. Some of the Dacks are so thick and overgrown and covered in blow downs. There are no roads back there to put out a fire so how are they going to put it out? What we need is a good dry summer and a little lightning to get rid of some of that old growth.

sure seems that with the NY budget issues, the cutting of old timber would be a great way to go, brings in $$$$, lets were they cut get funding for replanting, helps the deer, white rabbit, and grouse. this idea of forever wild is a farce, no roads into the area, not even a place to park a car to fish etc. these are the ideas of the nature nuts, so it has to start with the locals pushing for changes, cutting will also mean again a lumber industry in NY and that means (JOB)

Im really suprised no one hasnt walked out there and set it on fire yet. Some of the Dacks are so thick and overgrown and covered in blow downs. There are no roads back there to put out a fire so how are they going to put it out? What we need is a good dry summer and a little lightning to get rid of some of that old growth.

They would just put it out with aircraft, etc instead of let it burn. Look at the tinderboxes they keep creating out West. It seems to get harder and harder to put the fires out, but they keep doing it.

Why did they even bother having a meeting? Reading the article it looks like the DEC should've just said "Ok, you guys just sit here and talk to this wall while I go take a nap."

Says that they know the habitat is poor so there's nothing for the deer to eat but they aren't going to do any logging, might be able to close season a day earlier. PPPHHHBBBBTTTT, how's that going to give the deer any more to eat? We hunt 5Hand there's big Cherry and small spruce and beech whips. Not a whole lot to eat there. The League Club has been logging right across the line from where we are and you can stand at the line and look across acres of berry bushes, grasses, brush and know that's where the deer are.

They say all we can do is "hope for milder winters". Well try hoping in one hand and crapping in the other and see which one fills up first. Get rid of this "Forever Wild" malarky that accomplishes nothing but create ecological deserts and selectively cut the darned woods. They could log up to within 100 yards of each side of the trail and 99% of the people who set foot in the Adirondacks would never know the difference because they don't go more than 15' off the trail anyway.

• Like 1

How about that ! Those of us that have hunted the area for years know what we are talking about. Heck, if I went to my favorite restaurant and their plate were empty I would either, starve or move to a different area.

Logging brings in jobs, revenue to the area and regrowth. I love nothing more than to hunt an area that was logged several years ago. Those are alive with browse and critters !!!

I hunt a remote Forever Wild section of the catskills and can sympathize with you guys in the Adirondacks. If its pretty lousy where I am, its gotta be a lot worse up there.

I'm all for some selective logging to help out the food situation. But, I do like the "no motorized vehicle rule" that accompanies the Forever Wild land designation. It keeps some people away. And I think its just cool to have to walk to the areas you want to hunt and to have to drag deer out by hand. If they were able to log it, withough changing other issues with the current status, that would be ideal to me.

This is a huge problem but I cn't see it changing unless we can find a way to get the Liberal Govt of NY out of power. they are too beholding to the tree hugging interests. Not to throw sticks at aour down state brothers and sisters but downstate holds the power because of their numbers. The huggers down there want to be able t come up and see the vast unspoiled wilderness of Upstate and then crawl back to their concrete jungle. They make the rules and we have to love with them.

NFA-ADK---we have to get all the NY state groups together and lobby and vote in one direction for a common goal. I wish we could.