I’m so sick and tired of this weather

luberhill

I like spring , summer and fall in the fingerlakes but this constant lack of sun and the fricken snow has taken its toll on me ..

Im 62 years old and sick of it ..seems like I spend all summer getting ready for winter .
Shoveling , snowblowing , driving in this crap ...

Im sure my wife is sick of listening to me bitch about it ..

Not crazy about Florida and even if we went there for winter I’d probably be constantly worrying about the house here...

Not sure what the answer is

• Like 1

Whatever the answer is, I hope you find it.

Winters are tough here. I don't actively foresee my retirement years consisting of living here more than a few months if family is still in the area; I'm actively working toward ensuring that we live in a more manageable climate in retirement (understanding they all have risks).

Florida has pockets of nice areas. So does GA and SC.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

No matter where you go, there will be something to contend with. The only way to beat it is having winter/summer homes. I was thinking of where to retire to for year around comfort. South can be brutally hot in the summer, north is cold in the winter and in between has drawbacks too. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

As many know wife wants to move to Tenn. our daughters are here so for now so am I . But all her friends have left the state , there’s  only one couple left here we do things with ( and they’re  in FLA for six weeks currently)  , I still hang  with the guys I worked with , but they’re much younger so we don’t do the couple thing .

Our daughter and her fiancé are in FLA right now , they’ve visited one set of our friends, my wife’s best friend ,my sister and BIL along with his Aunt and that just the ones nearby ! 

Pretty sure we’ll pick up a condo there shortly ,for the winters to come .

Ya the constant lack of sun here is depressing, when you fly from  NY to FLA ,once you step outside it’s like when the Wizard of OZ movie goes from BW to color .....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I don't mind it in January and February but if we have a March and April like last year I'm going to lose my mind

I don’t care if I ever see snow again ..

Trouble is I’m right in the lake affect area south of the tway .

I know Ithaca gets half the amount of snow we get but it’s still cold.

Not sure the answer .. it’s just wife and me and dog .

She doesn’t mind it as much as I do .

I can’t imagine myself dealing with this another 10 yrs or however much life I have left

23 minutes ago, Nomad said:

As many know wife wants to move to Tenn. our daughters are here so for now so am I . But all her friends have left the state , there’s  only one couple left here we do things with ( and they’re  in FLA for six weeks currently)  , I still hang  with the guys I worked with , but they’re much younger so we don’t do the couple thing .

Our daughter and her fiancé are in FLA right now , they’ve visited one set of our friends, my wife’s best friend ,my sister and BIL along with his Aunt and that just the ones nearby ! 

Pretty sure we’ll pick up a condo there shortly ,for the winters to come .

Ya the constant lack of sun here is depressing, when you fly from  NY to FLA ,once you step outside it’s like when the Wizard of OZ movie goes from BW to color .....

Isn’t Tennessee big on tornados and hurricanes ?

6 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I don’t care if I ever see snow again ..

Trouble is I’m right in the lake affect area south of the tway .

I know Ithaca gets half the amount of snow we get but it’s still cold.

Not sure the answer .. it’s just wife and me and dog .

She doesn’t mind it as much as I do .

I can’t imagine myself dealing with this another 10 yrs or however much life I have left

After deer season I'm ready for Summer. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Getting a little tired of it myself. Today's drive in took 35 minutes longer than normal. I thought maybe I'd get one of the ATV's out yesterday just to see if I could get it around the property. Got it high centered in the first 15 feet, boooo!

I’m in a position to retire .. wife retired 2 yrs ago , state pension and ss

Now to make a good decision

• Like 3

Every year since retirement gets worse and worse.Not a big fan of FL,not sure about the Carolina's.Love the summer and fall,after deer season is over,I am ready for working in the garden.Dont think there is a perfect place,just seems winter is longer and longer every year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

After deer season I'm ready for Summer. 

Same. I try my best to ice fish but I get out once maybe twice all winter if I am lucky. It's OK, I guess.

Had an ice dam push some water in this weekend. I made that painful ordeal as painful as I could for my wife to see this is something that doesn't happen in warmer climates, lol.

• Like 1

My wife's family is here and so is mine. Heck we left and came back because of them. Now with 3 kids under the age of 8 I'm sure it's clear that our roots are set... yet you never know what the future brings. 

I see 2 paths for me. A home in VA/NC/SC/TN/GA or a winter home somewhere further south in addition to the home in NY. 

Over the last 3 years the wife and I were lucky enough to take a winter trip somewhere warm. That 3-5 days in the sun seemed to do the trick, but we didn't get that this year and this latest spell has been a doozy on the moral. 

1 minute ago, phade said:

Same. I try my best to ice fish but I get out once maybe twice all winter if I am lucky. It's OK, I guess.

Had an ice dam push some water in this weekend. I made that painful ordeal as painful as I could for my wife to see this is something that doesn't happen in warmer climates, lol.

Yea that’s another thing I’m trying to avoid ..

We have the money to do what we want but I want to make a good decision.

I see too many leave here and a few years later come right back .

I want to settle and stay out for e rest of my life...

Just not sure where.

The thought of two houses doesnt thrill me either ..

Renting and let someone else do the maintenance ? 

If I had my choice we would be in Carolinas,Tennessee,Maryland southern pa or iowa(current company has a sister company there and only for the hunting lol).   My wife has been leaning towards leaving also we wont make a move with our oldest 2 years from graduating hs.  When shes done we will have one in 6th and 1st so it might happen then.  I have a friend waiting until his oldest graduates then hes going to Tennessee, when my one friend comes back from Afghanistan hes going to tenesse or Texas.  Brother just got a job offer for kentucky.  Youngest sister and bf are looking at South Carolina where my cousins are.   Everyone heading south that I know.  

Edited by Swamp_bucks

1 minute ago, Swamp_bucks said:

If I had my choice we would be in Carolinas,Tennessee,Maryland southern pa or iowa(current company has a sister company there).   My wife has been leaning towards leaving also we wont make a move with our oldest 2 years from graduating hs.  When shes done we will have one in 6th and 1st so it might happen then.  I have a friend waiting until his oldest graduates then hes going to Tennessee, when my one friend comes back from Afghanistan hes going to tenesse or Texas.  Brother just got a job offer for kentucky.  Youngest sister and bf are looking at South Carolina where my cousins are.   Everyone heading south that I know.  

Yea and we have no kids either , I’m not even sure if we would keep a place here and rent somewhere south for two or three months ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Yea and we have no kids either , I’m not even sure if we would keep a place here and rent somewhere south for two or three months ?

My uncle had a place here and then bought a double wide in a retirement type park somewhere in NC or SC.  The park maintained the property from may-November for him.  Not sure what the maintenance cost him but he played cash for the place so he didnt have to worry about that.   He would leave after thanksgiving so he could get all his hunting in.  

My family used to own a campground; alot of retirees sold their homes in NY, bought a seasonal setup in the campground (like a modular) and lived there for 3-4 months a year May-Sept. Then returned to their place in Florida which had a maintenance contract.

• Like 1