Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well, I dropped the news on my boss that I’m planning on retiring very soon. I turned 62 a month ago and as much as I could use the extra couple years of income and saving, I’m looking forward to getting out of the daily grind I’m in. I’ve got a handful of projects that I need to finish up this year but from those timelines it looks like that I’ll be sliding out some time around October to December.

I will not miss an 80+ mile one-way ride to work, and I will not miss getting up at 4:30 am and getting home at 7 or 8 o’clock in the evenings. At this point in my life, I’m reduced to working, coming home for a quick bite, and then off to sleep. No more of that!

I’m going to plan on finding a part time job just to keep me somewhat active and supply some extra pocket cash, but 20-ish hours a week will feel like nothing after 10-12 hour days for the last 40+ years.

I’m not even sure I know how to live when I have ample time to myself, but I have a feeling that I’ll be able to figure it out quickly enough!

  • Like 45
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I dropped the news on my boss that I’m planning on retiring very soon. I turned 62 a month ago and as much as I could use the extra couple years of income and saving, I’m looking forward to gett

Haha - well aware of the timing! Financially, there's always a reason for me to keep extending it. It'll be thin, but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, although no extravagant lifestyles are in

Congrats Jerry!! Funny story....my Dad worked for a utility company for 44 years and retired the day he turned 62. I asked him one day if he was going to be bored and grab a partime job somewhere. He

Go for it,you will never regret it.Retired at 53,68 now and dont ever regret it.You will wonder how you ever got anything done besides work once you retire.Part time job ,good thought if you have some kind of control of days and hours.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Jerry!!!  Im glad to hear you are doing this.  Time to enjoy the things you want to and not the things you have to! If you can pull it off financially go for it. 

  And if you picking between Oct and Dec - Oct 1 is opening day of bow season......just sayin. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Congrats Jerry!!!  Im glad to hear you are doing this.  Time to enjoy the things you want to and not the things you have to! If you can pull it off financially go for it. 

  And if you picking between Oct and Dec - Oct 1 is opening day of bow season......just sayin. 

 

Haha - well aware of the timing!

Financially, there's always a reason for me to keep extending it. It'll be thin, but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, although no extravagant lifestyles are in my plans.

In my family, on my father's side they drop dead in their 40's and 50's. I seem to have passed that milestone. On my Mother's side they either have terrible physical health through their old age or they get dementia in their 70's. I have no physical issues whatsoever except being fat and balding so I'm determined to get as many years in as I can before that kind of decline, if in fact that is in the cards. Although I am planning on bucking all those family trends!

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you Jerry!  

  I am 61 and have a Part- Time Job now. I Aim to Collect my Social Security at age 62. Birthday  is in September  and 1st SS Payment will be in November. 

   Spent Decades in Warehouses  and around 6+ years at walmart. I could write alot about walmart - but. I  better not...

    Basically, I  made my living with my back. Not missing that.

   I REALLY THINK MORE PEOPLE SHOULD COLLECT SOCIAL SECURITY  AT AGE 62 AS NONE OF US IS GUARANTEED  ANOTHER DAY.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Jerry, if you thought you were busy while working wait until your retirement. You will keep yourself so busy you will soon wonder how you worked every day and got thinks done at the house!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats ! And you’re to be commended for those long long days ! You’ll do fine , my only issue being retired is with things closed down , and living on a suburban lot limits what I have to do around the homestead. 
 

Land and an out building would be awesome ! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you Jerry! Much deserved, and you will find all kinds of cool stuff to do with YOUR time!!!

 I'll be 64 in May. Retirement is not too far off for me now. Wife and I just recently decided to downsize, and find a smaller place, that will be easier to keep up with. So we are currently house hunting for our forever home. We no longer need or want a large 4 bedroom home. Need something my wife can manage, if something should happen to me. Though I'm not planning to go anywhere soon! 

Just need to stay a short drive from the farm property and my life long hunting partner, As I plan to spent a lot of time there. He retired last year. And we have so many plans! 

I still love my job, and will miss working with the kids and staff here. But I will take my 20 years on this job, and be happy to move on. Been working since I was 17, never once collected unemployment. Looking forward to a different kind of work in a year or two. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good for you Jerry! Much deserved, and you will find all kinds of cool stuff to do with YOUR time!!!

 I'll be 64 in May. Retirement is not too far off for me now. Wife and I just recently decided to downsize, and find a smaller place, that will be easier to keep up with. So we are currently house hunting for our forever home. We no longer need or want a large 4 bedroom home. Need something my wife can manage, if something should happen to me. Though I'm not planning to go anywhere soon! 

Just need to stay a short drive from the farm property and my life long hunting partner, As I plan to spent a lot of time there. He retired last year. And we have so many plans! 

I still love my job, and will miss working with the kids and staff here. But I will take my 20 years on this job, and be happy to move on. Been working since I was 17, never once collected unemployment. Looking forward to a different kind of work in a year or two. 

We are looking too... I have a small home now in the village but I want a more modern / newer home with a few acres of land or lots of wooded land.

Prices are crazy now and it looks like we will be spending 350 to 400k in this market .

Im willing to pay up for the right place..we have the money and no kids so it’s time to enjoy the fruits of our labor..

Our house will sell easy .. I’m sick of neighbors being so close ..

Wife retired 2 yrs ago had state pension and ss

I’m still working but pretty much set my own hours and they pay me good 

I’ll be 62 this year 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Well, I dropped the news on my boss that I’m planning on retiring very soon. I turned 62 a month ago and as much as I could use the extra couple years of income and saving, I’m looking forward to getting out of the daily grind I’m in. I’ve got a handful of projects that I need to finish up this year but from those timelines it looks like that I’ll be sliding out some time around October to December.

I will not miss an 80+ mile one-way ride to work, and I will not miss getting up at 4:30 am and getting home at 7 or 8 o’clock in the evenings. At this point in my life, I’m reduced to working, coming home for a quick bite, and then off to sleep. No more of that!

I’m going to plan on finding a part time job just to keep me somewhat active and supply some extra pocket cash, but 20-ish hours a week will feel like nothing after 10-12 hour days for the last 40+ years.

I’m not even sure I know how to live when I have ample time to myself, but I have a feeling that I’ll be able to figure it out quickly enough!

I'm semi retired now at 57 and will relocate to my camp in less than two years. A job at Loews 20 hrs would be great! Congrats on getting out!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I retired at the age of 57 in 1998 . Worked for 35 years at Xerox in Webster after getting out of the Marine Corps . Worked shift work for many years and missed out on a lot of the kid's stuff . 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, luberhill said:

We are looking too... I have a small home now in the village but I want a more modern / newer home with a few acres of land or lots of wooded land.

Prices are crazy now and it looks like we will be spending 350 to 400k in this market .

Im willing to pay up for the right place..we have the money and no kids so it’s time to enjoy the fruits of our labor..

Our house will sell easy .. I’m sick of neighbors being so close ..

Wife retired 2 yrs ago had state pension and ss

I’m still working but pretty much set my own hours and they pay me good 

I’ll be 62 this year 

I'm fortunate to have over 750 acres of hunting property available (not including bordering state land). And I don't actually" need" to live there. It is my get away! And winters are so much worse "up on the hill"!! I spent a good portion of my life up there, so I know all too well. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Big thing that kicked in with me was the  cost savings of not commuting. Mine was only 38 miles one way, but that saved me about 150 dollars/wk, tax-free. Plus saving close to 2 hours/day. If you are driving your own vehicle each day, the savings of time and money will be huge.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Farflung said:

Big thing that kicked in with me was the  cost savings of not commuting. Mine was only 38 miles one way, but that saved me about 150 dollars/wk, tax-free. Plus saving close to 2 hours/day. If you are driving your own vehicle each day, the savings of time and money will be huge.

I hear you. My daily ride to work is usually a Honda Civic unless my wife's schedule differs. I fill my tank every other day, get an oil change every 5 weeks and snow tires last me about one winter. I do about 43000 miles a year just to work and back. So the car is shot after 4-5 years and just about useless for trade or resale. Going to be glad to get past that!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I hear you. My daily ride to work is usually a Honda Civic unless my wife's schedule differs. I fill my tank every other day, get an oil change every 5 weeks and snow tires last me about one winter. I do about 43000 miles a year just to work and back. So the car is shot after 4-5 years and just about useless for trade or resale. Going to be glad to get past that!

First off Congratulations on the future retirement! 

Second holy crap that's a long commute. I have a 17 mile one way trip that takes 35 min. I don't think I could handle much more than that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Congrats!!! I am 20 years away.....Is it too early to start counting?

I'm at least 7,690 days away from retirement so no its never to early to start counting! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a ways off from retirement at 54 and I enjoy my job and have the ability to make more $ so not looking at retirement til like 64 nother 10 yrs.  Drive isn’t bad though it can be stressful sometimes covering large area of the state w clients spread out geographically.  I think I could probably retire earlier at 55 or 59 and be financially comfortable but have kids in college and jr in high school so want to help them to stay out of debt and get careers started so no retirement for me anytime soon.  If Aruba doesn’t turn out I think when I retire I am going to buy a zero turn mower and a pair of beats headphones and listen to 80s music working for cash or beer only.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

First off Congratulations on the future retirement! 

Second holy crap that's a long commute. I have a 17 mile one way trip that takes 35 min. I don't think I could handle much more than that. 

Normally takes me about 1 hr and 45 mins. I've had snow days where I made the decision to go for it and it took 3+ hours.

Needless to say I have learned from those decisions!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratz Jerry!

I'll be 54 this year and dream of retiring every day. Two kids one just outa HS and the other a senior in college. I plan on working until 59. My main concern is healthcare. Estimated healthcare costs for me retiring then would be $200,000.00. We are actually looking for my wife to take a career change and take a lower paying gov job to cash in on some health care benefits.

 

Also tip on PT jobs. Lowes pays benefits on PT workers.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...