Retirement

Steuben Jerry

Well, I dropped the news on my boss that I’m planning on retiring very soon. I turned 62 a month ago and as much as I could use the extra couple years of income and saving, I’m looking forward to getting out of the daily grind I’m in. I’ve got a handful of projects that I need to finish up this year but from those timelines it looks like that I’ll be sliding out some time around October to December.

I will not miss an 80+ mile one-way ride to work, and I will not miss getting up at 4:30 am and getting home at 7 or 8 o’clock in the evenings. At this point in my life, I’m reduced to working, coming home for a quick bite, and then off to sleep. No more of that!

I’m going to plan on finding a part time job just to keep me somewhat active and supply some extra pocket cash, but 20-ish hours a week will feel like nothing after 10-12 hour days for the last 40+ years.

I’m not even sure I know how to live when I have ample time to myself, but I have a feeling that I’ll be able to figure it out quickly enough!

• Like 45

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Congrats Jerry!!!  Im glad to hear you are doing this.  Time to enjoy the things you want to and not the things you have to! If you can pull it off financially go for it. 

And if you picking between Oct and Dec - Oct 1 is opening day of bow season......just sayin. 

Haha - well aware of the timing!

Financially, there's always a reason for me to keep extending it. It'll be thin, but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, although no extravagant lifestyles are in my plans.

In my family, on my father's side they drop dead in their 40's and 50's. I seem to have passed that milestone. On my Mother's side they either have terrible physical health through their old age or they get dementia in their 70's. I have no physical issues whatsoever except being fat and balding so I'm determined to get as many years in as I can before that kind of decline, if in fact that is in the cards. Although I am planning on bucking all those family trends!

• Like 8

Congrats ! And you’re to be commended for those long long days ! You’ll do fine , my only issue being retired is with things closed down , and living on a suburban lot limits what I have to do around the homestead. 

Land and an out building would be awesome ! 

• Like 1

Good for you Jerry! Much deserved, and you will find all kinds of cool stuff to do with YOUR time!!!

I'll be 64 in May. Retirement is not too far off for me now. Wife and I just recently decided to downsize, and find a smaller place, that will be easier to keep up with. So we are currently house hunting for our forever home. We no longer need or want a large 4 bedroom home. Need something my wife can manage, if something should happen to me. Though I'm not planning to go anywhere soon! 

Just need to stay a short drive from the farm property and my life long hunting partner, As I plan to spent a lot of time there. He retired last year. And we have so many plans! 

I still love my job, and will miss working with the kids and staff here. But I will take my 20 years on this job, and be happy to move on. Been working since I was 17, never once collected unemployment. Looking forward to a different kind of work in a year or two. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good for you Jerry! Much deserved, and you will find all kinds of cool stuff to do with YOUR time!!!

I'll be 64 in May. Retirement is not too far off for me now. Wife and I just recently decided to downsize, and find a smaller place, that will be easier to keep up with. So we are currently house hunting for our forever home. We no longer need or want a large 4 bedroom home. Need something my wife can manage, if something should happen to me. Though I'm not planning to go anywhere soon! 

Just need to stay a short drive from the farm property and my life long hunting partner, As I plan to spent a lot of time there. He retired last year. And we have so many plans! 

I still love my job, and will miss working with the kids and staff here. But I will take my 20 years on this job, and be happy to move on. Been working since I was 17, never once collected unemployment. Looking forward to a different kind of work in a year or two. 

We are looking too... I have a small home now in the village but I want a more modern / newer home with a few acres of land or lots of wooded land.

Prices are crazy now and it looks like we will be spending 350 to 400k in this market .

Im willing to pay up for the right place..we have the money and no kids so it’s time to enjoy the fruits of our labor..

Our house will sell easy .. I’m sick of neighbors being so close ..

Wife retired 2 yrs ago had state pension and ss

I’m still working but pretty much set my own hours and they pay me good 

I’ll be 62 this year 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Well, I dropped the news on my boss that I’m planning on retiring very soon. I turned 62 a month ago and as much as I could use the extra couple years of income and saving, I’m looking forward to getting out of the daily grind I’m in. I’ve got a handful of projects that I need to finish up this year but from those timelines it looks like that I’ll be sliding out some time around October to December.

I will not miss an 80+ mile one-way ride to work, and I will not miss getting up at 4:30 am and getting home at 7 or 8 o’clock in the evenings. At this point in my life, I’m reduced to working, coming home for a quick bite, and then off to sleep. No more of that!

I’m going to plan on finding a part time job just to keep me somewhat active and supply some extra pocket cash, but 20-ish hours a week will feel like nothing after 10-12 hour days for the last 40+ years.

I’m not even sure I know how to live when I have ample time to myself, but I have a feeling that I’ll be able to figure it out quickly enough!

I'm semi retired now at 57 and will relocate to my camp in less than two years. A job at Loews 20 hrs would be great! Congrats on getting out!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, luberhill said:

We are looking too... I have a small home now in the village but I want a more modern / newer home with a few acres of land or lots of wooded land.

Prices are crazy now and it looks like we will be spending 350 to 400k in this market .

Im willing to pay up for the right place..we have the money and no kids so it’s time to enjoy the fruits of our labor..

Our house will sell easy .. I’m sick of neighbors being so close ..

Wife retired 2 yrs ago had state pension and ss

I’m still working but pretty much set my own hours and they pay me good 

I’ll be 62 this year 

I'm fortunate to have over 750 acres of hunting property available (not including bordering state land). And I don't actually" need" to live there. It is my get away! And winters are so much worse "up on the hill"!! I spent a good portion of my life up there, so I know all too well. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

Big thing that kicked in with me was the  cost savings of not commuting. Mine was only 38 miles one way, but that saved me about 150 dollars/wk, tax-free. Plus saving close to 2 hours/day. If you are driving your own vehicle each day, the savings of time and money will be huge.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farflung said:

Big thing that kicked in with me was the  cost savings of not commuting. Mine was only 38 miles one way, but that saved me about 150 dollars/wk, tax-free. Plus saving close to 2 hours/day. If you are driving your own vehicle each day, the savings of time and money will be huge.

I hear you. My daily ride to work is usually a Honda Civic unless my wife's schedule differs. I fill my tank every other day, get an oil change every 5 weeks and snow tires last me about one winter. I do about 43000 miles a year just to work and back. So the car is shot after 4-5 years and just about useless for trade or resale. Going to be glad to get past that!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I hear you. My daily ride to work is usually a Honda Civic unless my wife's schedule differs. I fill my tank every other day, get an oil change every 5 weeks and snow tires last me about one winter. I do about 43000 miles a year just to work and back. So the car is shot after 4-5 years and just about useless for trade or resale. Going to be glad to get past that!

First off Congratulations on the future retirement! 

Second holy crap that's a long commute. I have a 17 mile one way trip that takes 35 min. I don't think I could handle much more than that. 

• Like 2

Still a ways off from retirement at 54 and I enjoy my job and have the ability to make more $ so not looking at retirement til like 64 nother 10 yrs.  Drive isn’t bad though it can be stressful sometimes covering large area of the state w clients spread out geographically.  I think I could probably retire earlier at 55 or 59 and be financially comfortable but have kids in college and jr in high school so want to help them to stay out of debt and get careers started so no retirement for me anytime soon.  If Aruba doesn’t turn out I think when I retire I am going to buy a zero turn mower and a pair of beats headphones and listen to 80s music working for cash or beer only.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

First off Congratulations on the future retirement! 

Second holy crap that's a long commute. I have a 17 mile one way trip that takes 35 min. I don't think I could handle much more than that. 

Normally takes me about 1 hr and 45 mins. I've had snow days where I made the decision to go for it and it took 3+ hours.

Needless to say I have learned from those decisions!

Congratz Jerry!

I'll be 54 this year and dream of retiring every day. Two kids one just outa HS and the other a senior in college. I plan on working until 59. My main concern is healthcare. Estimated healthcare costs for me retiring then would be $200,000.00. We are actually looking for my wife to take a career change and take a lower paying gov job to cash in on some health care benefits.

Also tip on PT jobs. Lowes pays benefits on PT workers.

• Like 5

my plan to retire is 5-10 years.  Depends on where healthcare goes as Fletch mentioned, thats a big one.  But 10 at the most and prob 6 at the least if a couple of things bounce the right way.  I always look at retirement through the eyes of the fact my Dad passed one month before he was planning to retire.  So i will as soon as I can even if it means i need to be a bit frugal.  I lead a simple life anyway so not much is needed to get by on.  Bill $ and boat gas.  Hell i will fish off shore if I have to! 

• Like 4