Retirement

Steuben Jerry

Congrats Jerry .... I pulled the Retirement plug this past October 1st , I'm 63 and Hunted when I wanted or not ! I recently got back into Ice Fishing thanks to SIL and Daughter buying me Ice Fishing gear for Christmas . I took a look the other day at www.indeed.com and searched for a Part Time job and lo and behold " Driver - Part Time NAPA parts delivery " came up , years ago a buddy of mine retired and had that job for a couple of years . Imagine driver the little truck with the hat on it .... a Dream Job to be sure .... LOL

PS : If your gonna collect SS  you can only make 18 k per year before they take some SS away but so what !

Edited by GreeneHunter
  • Like 3

My thing is I’d like to buy a new modern house , if it doesn’t have much land I’d also like to buy some wooded hunting land near the house ..

Then retire , plan to head south a few months in winter .. probably rent a place or get a motor home ?

And possibly do the same rent a place on the St Lawerence river for a few summer months ..

So in that order ..

I want the house to be something my wife can handle if I kick 

• Like 1

Congrats hope it all works out.  I know alot of guys who retired and drove bus for schools. The way they saw it they were already up early and didnt have anything to do after lunch. So they got a little extra play cash and insurance.  My fil runs the american legion in my town. Makes an extra 18k a year.

• Like 2

I did the same as the OP, retired at 62yo, but I didn't want another job.

Oh yeah, there's always the lure of looking at SS &/or your retirement fund and thinking how much more retirement income you'd have if you only worked a couple/few more years. Hell with that, I just made some budget cuts and don't miss having much disposable income! Happiness & your sanity are worth a lot!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Oh yeah, there's always the lure of looking at SS &/or your retirement fund and thinking how much more retirement income you'd have if you only worked a couple/few more years. Hell with that, I just made some budget cuts and don't miss having much disposable income! Happiness & your sanity are worth a lot!!

People don’t factor in if they wait three years past 62 , they just lost 60k in my case ..

So if I get an extra 800 a month by waiting I have 5 yrs longer to make up the 60 I lost by waiting 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

People don’t factor in if they wait three years past 62 , they just lost 60k in my case ..

So if I get an extra 800 a month by waiting I have 5 yrs longer to make up the 60 I lost by waiting 

You look at your break even year, for me 75 . So if I start to collect at 62 or wait till 67, at 75 I’ve collected the same amount every year after I’m ahead . 

i trust the actuarial tables, and combine those with my family’s life history and health , we live till our 90’s and beyond , so that’s a six figure gain , for me by waiting . I’m good with that 

Well, I dropped the news on my boss that I’m planning on retiring very soon. I turned 62 a month ago and as much as I could use the extra couple years of income and saving, I’m looking forward to getting out of the daily grind I’m in. I’ve got a handful of projects that I need to finish up this year but from those timelines it looks like that I’ll be sliding out some time around October to December.
I will not miss an 80+ mile one-way ride to work, and I will not miss getting up at 4:30 am and getting home at 7 or 8 o’clock in the evenings. At this point in my life, I’m reduced to working, coming home for a quick bite, and then off to sleep. No more of that!
I’m going to plan on finding a part time job just to keep me somewhat active and supply some extra pocket cash, but 20-ish hours a week will feel like nothing after 10-12 hour days for the last 40+ years.
I’m not even sure I know how to live when I have ample time to myself, but I have a feeling that I’ll be able to figure it out quickly enough!

Congrats man!!!! More time to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Congrats hope it all works out.  I know alot of guys who retired and drove bus for schools. The way they saw it they were already up early and didnt have anything to do after lunch. So they got a little extra play cash and insurance.  My fil runs the american legion in my town. Makes an extra 18k a year.

I was the lead mechanic at a school bus garage for several years . There is not enough pay in the world for me to drive bus . The story’s I was told about the kids and then the parents were way worse than their children  . 

Edited by rob-c

9 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Well, I dropped the news on my boss that I’m planning on retiring very soon. I turned 62 a month ago and as much as I could use the extra couple years of income and saving, I’m looking forward to getting out of the daily grind I’m in. I’ve got a handful of projects that I need to finish up this year but from those timelines it looks like that I’ll be sliding out some time around October to December.

I will not miss an 80+ mile one-way ride to work, and I will not miss getting up at 4:30 am and getting home at 7 or 8 o’clock in the evenings. At this point in my life, I’m reduced to working, coming home for a quick bite, and then off to sleep. No more of that!

I’m going to plan on finding a part time job just to keep me somewhat active and supply some extra pocket cash, but 20-ish hours a week will feel like nothing after 10-12 hour days for the last 40+ years.

I’m not even sure I know how to live when I have ample time to myself, but I have a feeling that I’ll be able to figure it out quickly enough!

Put up a fence and raise some animals. Get to stay home and make your own hours and grab an easy 20-40 grand a year play money. Win-Win. Lol

• Like 1

Congrats! You will find more to do and be busy more than when you were working full time. , enjoy it try it with out a parttime job or one you can do minimal hours at.. I live taking 6 weeks vacation off at a time amd.find I. Busier than when I am.working.  perhaps a hobby will bring you in more cash than parttime job and be done at your leisure.. look at woolly... 

• Like 1

Congrats Jerry!!
Funny story....my Dad worked for a utility company for 44 years and retired the day he turned 62. I asked him one day if he was going to be bored and grab a partime job somewhere. He said " son if i wanted to be bossed around I would have stayed at my one an only job and made way more money than working at home depot, I am retired so the man can't tell me what to do anymore!" It's been 12 years for him and he doesn't miss going to work at all!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

You look at your break even year, for me 75 . So if I start to collect at 62 or wait till 67, at 75 I’ve collected the same amount every year after I’m ahead . 

i trust the actuarial tables, and combine those with my family’s life history and health , we live till our 90’s and beyond , so that’s a six figure gain , for me by waiting . I’m good with that 

Ha not me , I’ll start at 62 .. never know how long you have ... my fathers family all lived into their late 80s

My father died at 69 ...no telling how long ya got !

• Like 1

Congrats !!

I retired after 32 years of law enforcement at 55 years old and its been 5 years now...you'll enjoy every minute of it.

I miss some of the coworkers but not the job...you'll wonder how you ever got anything done as time and days fill quickly.

Best wishes,

Dan

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 8:29 AM, Salmon_Run said:

Congrats !!

I retired after 32 years of law enforcement at 55 years old and its been 5 years now...you'll enjoy every minute of it.

I miss some of the coworkers but not the job...you'll wonder how you ever got anything done as time and days fill quickly.

Best wishes,

Dan

Thank You for your service !!!!