Any baseball card collectors?

RangerClay

I just inherited about 15,000 baseball cards.  Some are in special plastic sleeves, some in original packs, but most are in large white boxes meant to hold baseball cards.  

My problem is that is that I don't know what I have.  I can spot a few big names but since I know little about baseball, I wouldn't know a good card from a bad one. The cards appear to be mostly 80's and 90's.

Can anyone recommend someone honest in Watertown or Syracuse who could go over these with me.  In the end I would like to sell 99% of them.

1 minute ago, RangerClay said:

I get that part.  I just don't want to do that 15000 times.  Hoping to hire or have someone help me.

Try reaching out to people that do estate sales. Wife had a friend that does them on the side and she recommended a few honest jewelers for some of my moms jewelry. 

2 hours ago, RangerClay said:

I just inherited about 15,000 baseball cards.  Some are in special plastic sleeves, some in original packs, but most are in large white boxes meant to hold baseball cards.  

My problem is that is that I don't know what I have.  I can spot a few big names but since I know little about baseball, I wouldn't know a good card from a bad one. The cards appear to be mostly 80's and 90's.

Can anyone recommend someone honest in Watertown or Syracuse who could go over these with me.  In the end I would like to sell 99% of them.

Ebay sold listings.  Check that to see what you got

These situations are tough because people have to invest time and or money into it.

You'll find that you'll get a lowball offer for someone to prospect with the whole lot, or that you hit on one or two big ticket items early in the research that can drive the value of the lot up.

Some cards fetch insane amounts with rare pieces nowadays but the large majority are not worth much. Closed ebay auctions are a good comp. Unopened packs would be the place I would start if you have them. Usually that can offer some value if a high demand card may exist in those packs.

I only know this because a former employee of mine left and started his own shop down in Florida; he educated me on the industry when he was working with me. I had old cards too and this was the answer he gave me.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I used to collect with my grandpa when I was a kid. I don't know how many thousand cards we ended up with. Along with music, it was our "thing". 

Unfortunately, I don't know what ever happened to them. If I had to guess, my brother sold them for beer money when he moved in with my grandma. Still, the memories are way more valuable than the cards ever were. 

I know that card prices were down as of a few years ago, but I don't know if that's changed. Good luck with finding some values, and I hope you find something of value in them!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, crappyice said:

Not to hijack since I thinks it’s along the same avenue, I have a Box of coins that i would love to get rid of-imagine I am holding 6 figures worth of coins in a shoe box and didn’t know it?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sold gold and silver coins before. I will text you.

Look for rookie cards for players like Derek Jeter Barry Bonds Arod  Ken Griffey Jr. Albert Puljos  Rickey Henderson Mark Maguire Randy Johnson 

the pre rookies or rookie cards are typically the money ones.  error cards can be worth a ton but u really have to know them to find them.  
good luck and let us know if you hit any Homeruns on this find.  

Maybe this will help I just googled finding baseball card values and a ton of sites popped up this one looked free perhaps you can check it outMaybe this will help I just googled finding baseball card values and a ton of sites popped up this one looked free perhaps you can check it out

1057F616-18AB-46E9-B07B-9BF1933E45F2.png