Looking for beginner’s crossbow under $500 (Barnett/Wicker Ridge?)

KoplyD

I know little about Barnett crossbows.  For me it's tough to own anything that is comes from the Busbice family/company and they own Barnett.

I would suggest a Centerpoint Crossbow.  I have the Sniper 370 and I really like it.  I have taken 11 deer in the 5 years that I have owned it.  If you scroll through the crossbow posts below this one, you will find plenty of information.  They have several models below $500 and it is a NYS company.

• Like 6

Plus one on the Centerpoint

I had a Barnett Jackal before the 370.  It was fine for accuracy but as soon as you pulled the trigger it was very noisy.  If the deer didn't jump the string I sure did.  Zero issues with Centerpoint except I think the toe ring was design for someone in Ballet slippers.  Only ones complaining are the deer.  It's been quite deadly to them. 

In target practice it is accurate out to 50 yards.  That being said I don't take shots over 30 yards and I yet to have to track a deer.

I have no experience with Wicked Ridge but have heard nothing bad about them 

I believe Centerpoint put out several new models this year.  Hopefully they corrected toe ring.  I did contact their customer service (Crosman Arms) and that was a very common compliant.

My wife got me a Barnett 2 years ago for Christmas. It was about $300. Last year I got a  9 point with it. The buck didn't jump that string. The toe ring is small but they all are. Also put the scope way up front as it seems the stocks aren't as long as rifle stock. I have it sighted in to 50 yards but I would never. The 9 pt was at exactly 29 yards. He never knew what hit him and walked 30 feet and dropped. Also the crossbow got me into bow hunting. And now I'm obsessed. Bow hunting regardless of which way you go is so cool. Your in the rut 

I went to the Dark Side last year. I bought a PSE Coalition it had everything I needed also helped I had 100-dollar gift card for bass pro. The only thing I had to do was get higher rings for the scope. For 300 bucks it's good enough.  I would find what you like then try them out then buy what you like. Remember we don’t have to hunt with it you do.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, mlammerhirt said:

I just purchased this a couple months ago for my first crossbow. I’m sure there are better ones out there. But for the price I don’t think you can beat it. Great quality product so far in my experience.  I really like the accudraw50 feature.