What’s a decent gun safe

luberhill

They used to be located close to the old Beikrich's gun shop that has since closed up. 

Oh I miss Beikirchs.  Place got all screwed up when Hann's sold it.  I don't think new owner had a clue.  Plus every time I was in there the place turn into a cracker barrel.  Lots of people chatting but nobody buying that seemed to occupy sales staff.  Hello, paying customer here that wants to buy something yet would go un-noticed.  

It was so nice to get any powder without a Haz-Mat fee.

• Like 1

Buy as big as you can...you will use it, but try to plan for placement in an out of the way dry place...foolish to display it prominently in a hallway or living room. Just as important...make sure your home itself is as secure...deadbolts, windows that cant be accessed, basement doors /windows to pop open, etc.  It only makes sense to secure your HOME first, and then get the guns secured (of course reversed if you are worried about people/kids inside the house).

18 minutes ago, RangerClay said:

Here's my 2 cents. I did a lot of research and this is the one I chose.  Tractor Supply frequently has them on sale.

http://cavearmor.com/winchester-24-gun-safe-review/

Note that the TSC safes are made cheaper , thinner metal ..

Even the non TSC ones are thin sheet metal .

Its fine for keeping kids out but I’m looking for plate steel like 3/16” min thickness .

Something I can’t rip the door off with a pry bay easily .

The ones are TSC are 14 gauge ! 
That’s thin !!!

Edited by luberhill

2 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I also have a Sentry. When they were local they would have periodic inventory reduction sales. I grabbed a pair of the 10 gun models that weigh in around 400 lbs apiece. I was sad to see them move the shop. They used to be located close to the old Beikrich's gun shop that has since closed up. 

I stagger mine as well. The carpeted floor doesn't seem to do harm. Also a dehumidifier is a good idea to remove moisture in the safe. That actually reminds me that I should check mine today.

Yea the crown isn’t made of glass . Setting the crown down on carpet isn’t going to hurt anything .

10ga 12ga 14 ga I think I'd pay money to see you try to open with a pry bar. Everything on you tube isn't always as it seems 

Why did you buy your current safe if it didn't suffice your needs ? Do you have a house or home alarm system?

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

I would be worried about damaging the crown and impacting accuracy.  Not likely but why risk it.

On a felt lined safe bottom
I highly doubt it. I have no choice but to do this. I’m just careful about which guns point down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sbuff said:

10ga 12ga 14 ga I think I'd pay money to see you try to open with a pry bar. Everything on you tube isn't always as it seems 

Why did you buy your current safe if it didn't suffice your needs ? Do you have a house or home alarm system?

I’ll take that bet ! 14 gauge I can put a screwdriver thru ..

My current safe was given to me and I also had a place that it was hidden.

Again , if main concern is keeping kids out or stopping local kids break in the thin big box safes are fine .

If you want security get 3/16 “ min plate or thicker..

I looked at the TSC safe and I could open the door and hold my foot against the bottom and pull on the top and flex the whole door !

14 gage sheet metal is like .0075 thick... a human hair is like .003

Also the big problem with the cheapo safes are the door gap is huge ..

You get what you pay for 

Edited by luberhill

5 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Its a Canon, I didn't buy from box store i bought it from a security store 

Humm well every Canon I have looked at , and 6 were just today , all had 14 gage steel ..

The door gaps were huge , they didn’t shut tight , the door could be flexed easy ..

Now maybe yours is different ...

Browning,cannon,winchester,liberty are, great safes, we turned 1_of the extra,rooms,in our new,home into a,man cave/den/gunroom  complete,with a browning vault door  and,a,browning silver 33  safe,

Mine just says Canon on top above key pad and a fancy C on the bottom. I looked for paper work and model but don't see one . I guess it works good for me . If we ever move it can stay with the house because its not going back up the stairs 

Edited by sbuff

46 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Mine just says Canon on top above key pad and a fancy C on the bottom. I looked for paper work and model but don't see one . I guess it works good for me . If we ever move it can stay with the house because its not going back to the stairs 

Yea as long as you are happy and it meets your demands !

Cheers

I'd never do that I'd be concerned about the crown. 
I do recommend getting a golden rod of some type .

I store my guns muzzle down when they’re in the safe. Only crown I’ve ever hurt in a gun was from tipping out of the safe and landing on concrete floor. From that day on I’ve stored them muzzle down. Steel against foam, I have zero concern about the crown sitting on a carpet covered piece of foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

When I was a machinist, I made the mistake of lining my toolboxes with carpeting. Bad mistake, carpeting holds moisture, rubber doesn't. On the Monday after the first humid weekend I was developing rust on many $$ worth of expensive tools. And that was in an air conditioned building.

Probably not an issue if you have a goldenrod or some other drying device, but I thought I'd mention it. I use a knockoff of a goldenrod in my safe. 

5 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

When I was a machinist, I made the mistake of lining my toolboxes with carpeting. Bad mistake, carpeting holds moisture, rubber doesn't. On the Monday after the first humid weekend I was developing rust on many $$ worth of expensive tools. And that was in an air conditioned building.

Probably not an issue if you have a goldenrod or some other drying device, but I thought I'd mention it. I use a knockoff of a goldenrod in my safe. 

I know machinists and tool makers that use thin carpet and they spray the carpet with M1 lube and then put the tools on it