Reloading

TLR

Anybody here,roll your own ammo?        I load for several calibers from 22-250 to ,340 wby mag on a redding T7 turret press& their ultimag single stage running redding.series s competition dies hogdon powders, Peterson brass,,federal 215m primers, & bullets.   From fed & hrndy

Edited by TLR

Started handloading for .357 and .38 sp about forty years ago, now I load for pretty much all centerfire cartridges. .38, .357 m. 9mm, 45 acp, 30-30, .308, .270 Win., 8x57 Mauser, 45-70, 22-250.

I am hoping reloading supplies start loosening up, I am just getting into .270 and need powder, projectiles and primers (I figure I am ok for my other calibers, but dont want to get into a new load without replenishing the stock).

• Like 1

yup. Been at it for about 8 years I think. Lee Turret press for me.  38special, 357 mag, 223, 30-30, 22-250, 243, 270 win, 308 win, ought 6, and 458 SOCOM as soon as I find the bullets in stock...lol. 

I've done some shotgun for limited use and spent quite a bit of time playing around with 12 ga sabots. That hit a roadblock with limited availability of quality sabots that would hold up to the pressures. 

Reloaded for about 25 years. Had to ditch all my equipment when my first marriage shit the bed. Looking to get back into it after a 12 year hiatus. I have been searching for an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit for almost a year now. Everyone is either out of stock or charging gouging prices. In the mean time, I've picked up a few die sets in 257 Rob, 7-08, 260 Rem, 250 Sav and 300 Sav,  and claimed a 5x3 space in my wife's studio. Also sniffing around for a power powder trickler/scale and a power case trimmer.

I have been reloading for 223 , 25-06 , 270 and 44mag . I was a bit leery about doing it when I first started but I read the Lyman Reloading book twice before I ever started . I added to my reloading equipment little by little and spent more money than I might have on ammo but was able to tweak the loads to suit my needs . When reloading , I turn off my phone and don't want to be disturbed by anyone or any thing . 

• Like 3

I mostly reload for calibers that are difficult to come by but do some common ones for accuracy.   7.5 x 55 Swiss being my favorite as once you form fire it to a particular K31 you can achieve through the same hole accuracy.  I do the same for 30.06 for my 1903 Springfield's.  I save brass and dedicate to that gun.  My equipment is a mix.  I dedicate a press stage press just to de-cap and have an old Lyman ST 6 stage turret press for other functions.  Longing for a better scale as balance beam takes forever  

Winter time activity

27 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I also reloaded a few 357mag for my son to try out . I don't like reloading 44 cals as the base isn't tapered . I have split a couple cases seating the bullet so far . Everything else was okay . 

Tell me more on the 44 problems, I’ve loaded a few thousand with 3 different bullet manufacturers and have never split a case. Just curious are you flaring the case mouth enough ? Also what size / diameter bullet were you loading ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

Tell me more on the 44 problems, I’ve loaded a few thousand with 3 different bullet manufacturers and have never split a case. Just curious are you flaring the case mouth enough ? Also what size / diameter bullet were you loading ? 

I have never flared the case mouth . The two that split the case was at the base of the bullet across the case not down the case . I don't remember if I "full sized die" with the cases or not . 

I was reloading Hornaday 240 gr HP/XTP 44cal (.430) #44200 

11 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I have never flared the case mouth . The two that split the case was at the base of the bullet across the case not down the case . I don't remember if I "full sized die" with the cases or not . 

were they Nickle plated cases?

I reload 357,44,45, all 30 caliber rifles I have. Even when bullets were everywhere and cheap. I'm glad I saved the brass. I even reload 5.6 and 9MM. The best thing about reloading is I make match grade bullets for everything down to grain. I even weigh the surplus bullet heads to really get perfect bullets. Besides what else do you do after hunting season and before fishing season. I have a Lee turret press and just blast out rounds. 

• Like 1

I have loaded most of my centerfire rifle rounds for the last 45 years...A couple of my rifles have never had a factory load fired  through them... Loaded  .222 Rem, 25-06, .270 Win, 7 x57, 7MM08, .280 Rem, 7MM rem mag, 30-30, 30-06, 8 x57, .35 Rem, .338 Win mag, and 9.3 x 62....Most of my loading now is for the two rifles that I use the most for deer, the 7MM08 and the .280...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have loaded most of my centerfire rifle rounds for the last 45 years...A couple of my rifles have never had a factory load fired  through them... Loaded  .222 Rem, 25-06, .270 Win, 7 x57, 7MM08, .280 Rem, 7MM rem mag, 30-30, 30-06, 8 x57, .35 Rem, .338 Win mag, and 9.3 x 62....Most of my loading now is for the two rifles that I use the most for deer, the 7MM08 and the .280...

280.is an awesome caliber ,I shoot the  280 Ackley imp (original chambering not the nosler version)shooting federal 155 grn T/A,@3035FPS &HRNDY 162 ELDX,@2990 FPS FROM 12 yrds, out to 625 from.whitetails here in NY to moose in Wyoming &elk  mule deer in montana its, never let me down and I've never lost an  animal or felt under gunned with it 

Edited by TLR
Mistype

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Got ya , yep always want to flare  the case mouth on straight wall pistol brass just so the base of the projectile sits nicely in the flare on its own.  And always full size the case.So did the cases that split at the base get crushed at all ? Or was the case very difficult to removing from the bullet seating die ? 

• Like 1