Gun Collections

hueyjazz

I'm betting one or two of you have a firearms collection of sorts.  In my book more than one is a collection.

(Well, that what I tell the wife but she thinks I'm talking about safes) 

For many years I was a FFL03 C&R during the glory years for being so and I collected a lot of WWII guns.  Dad was a WWII vet although he NEVER talked about until he was near death.  His first engagement was a little thing they called Battle of the Bulge.  He saw a lot of bad crap.  He was in artillery.  The one thing he said with me that really stuck was if we could hit their guns then they could hit our guns and the Germans had way better guns.  

I've always kept very accurate records.  First because I was required to do so and later for personal reasons.  I've been using a program NW Collector to do so.  I don't know how many of you are familiar with it but it's a very well thought out program for those with collections.  Stamps, guns, coins, whatever.  Fairly cheap too, I think like $25.

I'm the only one in my family and relatives that collects guns.  I've always seen these Low-Lifes types that think it's OK to buy $2,000 guns off of widows for $100.  They think their knowledge earns them the right to screw people.  Oh your husband brought that back from the war.  Well that an old gun and not worth much with all those matching serial numbers and cartouches  This boils my blood and I do really hope there's a hell.

I've made a copy of my database on USB flash drive and have given it to my Son in Law along with safe combinations.   I've also stimulated his interest with a couple firearms.  An Enemy at the Gate correct Mosin Nagant and a Band of Brothers,  Garand.  The movie aspect helps with bug although his wife (aka my daughter) my not fully appreciate the infection I intend to introduce.   

In this database are detailed descriptions of each firearm.  Condition, maintenance, receipts pdf, work done, gauge results, borescope findings any parts I've changed or added, pictures and value.  The value aspect is the toughest as it always changing and generally in the upward direction.  I watch gun auction sites for what things actually sell for.  Lately it's crazy and I'm not sure those are legit values.   My other issue is I'm the only one with a pistol permit.  I keep telling him he needs to get one as I will be damn if the State get all of those.

Have any of you thought of your collections in this regard?

• Like 1

I have heard of similar  experiences.  I co own with my wife on my handguns . I have a list  with values for family and out right sales . I have told her not to sell it all as a collection . She knows which  family and friend to contact for help.

Have done the same with all my fly fishing /fly tying stuff. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

My other issue is I'm the only one with a pistol permit.  I keep telling him he needs to get one as I will be damn if the State get all of those.

Absolute must...... All my pistols are co-owned with my wife, daughter, and am trying to get my son-in-law who just got his permit to put all or some  on his. 

No way I would want the state to come and just walk away with them.

What they do with them is their choice but least I know they will be in good hands.

18 minutes ago, Steve D said:

All my pistols are co-owned with my wife, daughter, and am trying to get my son-in-law who just got his permit to put all or some  on his. 

I thought I heard recently from someone that pistols could only be co registered to people that inhabit the same home?  (Maybe it's just another goofy Erie County law?)

15 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I thought I heard recently from someone that pistols could only be co registered to people that inhabit the same home?  (Maybe it's just another goofy Erie County law?)

We live in Ontario county and they live in Erie County. When my daughter first got her permit I went to the clerk with her and they put mine on her permit no problem. 

I just put a new pistol that she bought on mine in Ontario county with just a receipt of purchase from her.

The only thing that needs to be done is complete a pistol/revolver amendment form which can be had here:       PPB-5 REV (ny.gov)    a receipt or copy of and submitted to the county clerk you reside in.

I believe Erie county is only taking mail in but Ontario county is in person.. Not sure about any of the other counties but the "form" is a state form.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

I'm betting one or two of you have a firearms collection of sorts.  In my book more than one is a collection.
(Well, that what I tell the wife but she thinks I'm talking about safes) 
 For many years I was a FFL03 C&R during the glory years for being so and I collected a lot of WWII guns.  Dad was a WWII vet although he NEVER talked about until he was near death.  His first engagement was a little thing they called Battle of the Bulge.  He saw a lot of bad crap.  He was in artillery.  The one thing he said with me that really stuck was if we could hit their guns then they could hit our guns and the Germans had way better guns.  
I've always kept very accurate records.  First because I was required to do so and later for personal reasons.  I've been using a program NW Collector to do so.  I don't know how many of you are familiar with it but it's a very well thought out program for those with collections.  Stamps, guns, coins, whatever.  Fairly cheap too, I think like $25.
I'm the only one in my family and relatives that collects guns.  I've always seen these Low-Lifes types that think it's OK to buy $2,000 guns off of widows for $100.  They think their knowledge earns them the right to screw people.  Oh your husband brought that back from the war.  Well that an old gun and not worth much with all those matching serial numbers and cartouches  This boils my blood and I do really hope there's a hell.
I've made a copy of my database on USB flash drive and have given it to my Son in Law along with safe combinations.   I've also stimulated his interest with a couple firearms.  An Enemy at the Gate correct Mosin Nagant and a Band of Brothers,  Garand.  The movie aspect helps with bug although his wife (aka my daughter) my not fully appreciate the infection I intend to introduce.   
In this database are detailed descriptions of each firearm.  Condition, maintenance, receipts pdf, work done, gauge results, borescope findings any parts I've changed or added, pictures and value.  The value aspect is the toughest as it always changing and generally in the upward direction.  I watch gun auction sites for what things actually sell for.  Lately it's crazy and I'm not sure those are legit values.   My other issue is I'm the only one with a pistol permit.  I keep telling him he needs to get one as I will be damn if the State get all of those.

I am in a similar position to you, I have begun to educate my wife on the guns we have, what they are worth and where they are from. As my son gets older hopefully he will take a interest and I hope to pass them all down to him.

I would say my love of WWII fire arms for sure stems from my grandfather. He joined the arm in early 1942 and was a member of the 34 infantry division. He fought all the way from North Africa through Italy to the French border. Interesting fact his unit saw more days of combat that any other in the entire ETO. I only wish I had more time with him to hear about his experience. He passed when I was in the 4th grade. I do have his dog tags. Medals and some of his paperwork. I will put it all together some day with one of my M1’s and make a collection piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have a list of all my arms with thier histories, serial numbers, where acquired, etc. As well, I have noted what should happen to the arm if I pass, and I have the names of auction houses I have worked with for her to contact.  I keep it maintained on my computer and keep a printed copy in our safe. Very sadly, there is no one in our family who shares my love of heritage and hunting/arms, so my first directive (with several arms excepted) is my closest friends each have a pick, with particular arms already designated.

• Like 1

Add my name to your list !!!! Only kidding 

I have wanted to do this documentation for a long time . I suppose I should get going on . I really need to get my wife going on her pistol permit so she can co own the ones I've got .

If I croak before the documentation is done she knows my ruger mini 30 from high school graduation in 94 goes to the grave with me .

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me and my Dad. He lives in Putnam county, I live in Westchester. I was told I can’t have his pistols on my permit and his at same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't have any collectibles. Pistols are co-registered, my daughters are to young to officially take over the long guns but they can just stay in the safe until that time comes. My wife likes shooting but without me she probably wouldn't go out on her own. 

I can tell you that when my father in law passed the State police were there inside of a week to collect the pistols.

Two of us had permits and were in the process of transferring but that didn't matter to them.  They took them anyways until they were on a permit.

I do understand but I have to admit, it was downright scary how fast they came.  Of all the things that it takes them forever to do in the State, this gets priority?  And it wasn't like we didn't have a few other things to contend with because of his death. 

Chef

Dad at start of WWII was an engineering student.  But he enlisted as he figure he would have more choices than being drafted.  Army initially put him into Special Training Program for Army Air Force. Patch is an oil lantern and sword.   (Air was part of Army back then)  They told him they could better use his talents as engineer that way and he was stationed at MIT.  However dad told me all he did was blueprints for Air bases.  If a latrine was to be built, it had a blueprint.

D-Day came and it didn't go as well as hope.  They needed replacements quick.  Special program was cancelled and he was assigned to 78th Infantry (Lighting), 308th field artillery.  But he ranked fairly high among new replacements.   His job was sighting in guns which was rather BS as that didn't change much or often.  However in my collection I have a slide ruler he used for it.   He mostly drove communications truck with trailer back and forth to ammo dump.  All my life that man was amazing backing a trailer of any size.  I guess if it can blow up you get good

His first engagement was a little thing called Battle of the Bulge.  He said they basically fired in a circle.  He also told me the Germans only strife him once.  The Americans were much better at it.  They try to get him three times.  One day he got called to headquarters for a meeting.  That was the day his truck took a direct hit from German artillery.  His replacement, his truck and all of his belongings weren't any bigger than a softball in pieces.  What he had on his back for that meeting was what he had for rest of the Bulge.

Dad wouldn't allow me firearms in his house.  He had enough of that because of war.  However grandpa didn't have such rules and was avid hunter.  Very little information about the war came from dad.  I found out way more about what he did from his brother who was Navy WWII and his grandson that interviewed him when he was in his 80's.  He would only talk to me about engineering aspects of his duty.

I do have dad's uniform, accommodations and such.  All which I found after his death cleaning out estate.  He once old me he was proud of many things in his life.  His military service wasn't one of them.  I'm well aware he saw some really bad stuff.  I have his uniform and medals all in a shadow box.  As far as I and the army was concerned, he served very well.

As far as he was concerned, he wanted to forget it

Chef
Dad at start of WWII was an engineering student.  But he enlisted as he figure he would have more choices than being drafted.  Army initially put him into Special Training Program for Army Air Force. Patch is an oil lantern and sword.   (Air was part of Army back then)  They told him they could better use his talents as engineer that way and he was stationed at MIT.  However dad told me all he did was blueprints for Air bases.  If a latrine was to be built, it had a blueprint.
D-Day came and it didn't go as well as hope.  They needed replacements quick.  Special program was cancelled and he was assigned to 78th Infantry (Lighting), 308th field artillery.  But he ranked fairly high among new replacements.   His job was sighting in guns which was rather BS as that didn't change much or often.  However in my collection I have a slide ruler he used for it.   He mostly drove communications truck with trailer back and forth to ammo dump.  All my life that man was amazing backing a trailer of any size.  I guess if it can blow up you get good
His first engagement was a little thing called Battle of the Bulge.  He said they basically fired in a circle.  He also told me the Germans only strife him once.  The Americans were much better at it.  They try to get him three times.  One day he got called to headquarters for a meeting.  That was the day his truck took a direct hit from German artillery.  His replacement, his truck and all of his belongings weren't any bigger than a softball in pieces.  What he had on his back for that meeting was what he had for rest of the Bulge.
Dad wouldn't allow me firearms in his house.  He had enough of that because of war.  However grandpa didn't have such rules and was avid hunter.  Very little information about the war came from dad.  I found out way more about what he did from his brother who was Navy WWII and his grandson that interviewed him when he was in his 80's.  He would only talk to me about engineering aspects of his duty.
I do have dad's uniform, accommodations and such.  All which I found after his death cleaning out estate.  He once old me he was proud of many things in his life.  His military service wasn't one of them.  I'm well aware he saw some really bad stuff.  I have his uniform and medals all in a shadow box.  As far as I and the army was concerned, he served very well.
As far as he was concerned, he wanted to forget it

Makes a lot of sense. Most combat vets don’t like to talk about it. So what world war 2 guns do you have.

I have a few garands a m1 carbine and a Japanese Nambu pistol. I had a G98/40 but sold it recently. I want a Luger. My grandfather had one and apparently my uncle thought it would be a good idea to sell it

22 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ya Erie county is whacked . My daughter who lives there has my .38 co registered from Monroe county on her permit . When she moved to Erie , they said to send her permit package to Erie ,then they would review and call her in to decide etc.

Monroe county ( where they only issue full carry )  said “ ya you can do that ,but the law says all she has to do is update her address and notify the state police ,and we can do that here and now for like three bucks .” 

Any competent estate planing attorney will guide one on how to handle the collection . Mine knew the exact number of handguns I owned, based upon his years of doing this .

Chef

If it's bolt action and from WWII, I own one along with several Garands and M1 carbines.    I included Swiss and Finnish firearms from that time too in my collection.  Each had unique role in WWII.  I've been known to hunt with a K31.  Deadly accurate.  Arisaka I seldom shoot.  Ammo is a pain and I don't care to reload that one.

I own exactly one Carcano 91/38  It is the only gun I don't shoot because I believe it has an equal chance of firing in reverse.  Sorry if I offend any Carcano collectors but it surely amazes me that Italy who's created some of the finest firearms in the world produced this and gave it to their army.  It might work against spears. 

The was the gun that Lee Harvey Oswald was has supposed to use on Kennedy.  Oswald was a trained Marine.  He had the option of choosing a 1903 Springfield.  He choose this turd????  Even the rifle cartridges are funky.  They look like pop bottles

Chef
If it's bolt action and from WWII, I own one along with several Garands and M1 carbines.    I included Swiss and Finnish firearms from that time too in my collection.  Each had unique role in WWII.  I've been known to hunt with a K31.  Deadly accurate.  Arisaka I seldom shoot.  Ammo is a pain and I don't care to reload that one.
I own exactly one Carcano 91/38  It is the only gun I don't shoot because I believe it has an equal chance of firing in reverse.  Sorry if I offend any Carcano collectors but it surely amazes me that Italy who's created some of the finest firearms in the world produced this and gave it to their army.  It might work against spears. 
The was the gun that Lee Harvey Oswald was has supposed to use on Kennedy.  Oswald was a trained Marine.  He had the option of choosing a 1903 Springfield.  He choose this turd????  Even the rifle cartridges are funky.  They look like pop bottles

Hey you wouldn’t happen to have or know someone that has a rock-ola carbine they wanna sell would you

• Like 1

They exist but not in my collection.  I have National Postal Meters because relatives worked there and I'm familiar with the sites where they were produced in Rochester.

Main factory is across from East High.  It was a car shop when Postal Meter took it over.  Now it's been rehabbed several times and its subdivided into many small parcels.

Trimble Nurseryland Furniture that was on Lexington Ave in Rochester made the stocks for them.  That building also still exists but it's in a neighborhood......

Well, let's just say you don't want the sun to set while you are there.

M1 carbines are funny.  It's very hard to say one is "Correct"  They are largely built by original producers getting parts from many subcontractors.