What about walking the dog in the off season on your hunting land

luberhill

My neighbors dog takes unapproved walks in my deer woods before, during, after season and I still see plenty of deer. Just don't let the dog shoot at them with a rifle and you will be ok!! I'd avoid bedding cover though.

Do it during off season,during season when ever you want.  The one piece of private I hunt the owner will ride her horses under my stand with her dog running around and then I'll have deer walk on the same spot they did an hour later.  

I've learned that deer get used to certain things.  If they get used to you walking with your dog they will just watch you.  Start doing different things and they start to react.   This is just what I've noticed th he last couple years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Do it during off season,during season when ever you want.  The one piece of private I hunt the owner will ride her horses under my stand with her dog running around and then I'll have deer walk on the same spot they did an hour later.  

I've learned that deer get used to certain things.  If they get used to you walking with your dog they will just watch you.  Start doing different things and they start to react.   This is just what I've noticed th he last couple years.

The place I hunt had horses there for the first 4 years but didn't ride a lot.  2019 no horses and then in 2020 horses were back and they rode more than ever.  We def saw some changes due to this.  The year without horses we had more deer close to the barns than ever.  This last year the area they rode the most we saw a lot less deer in that area that had always been the best.  I think they get used to routine and don't like changes.  Esp this year they got horses back at the end of summer and rode a lot.  I think the change pushed out some deer.  The difference was def noticeable. That being said the other side of the property had more deer than ever.  

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

My neighbors dog takes unapproved walks in my deer woods before, during, after season and I still see plenty of deer. Just don't let the dog shoot at them with a rifle and you will be ok!! I'd avoid bedding cover though.

What if they chase or bark at them 

One of the spots i hunt my buddy walks his dog almost daily even during the season ,rides his dirt bike on the trails and cuts firewood all year long . The property sees regular and patternable doe traffic but decent buck sightings are rare even though we get a few pictures on trail camera . This piece is 88 acres 

I dont worry about it other than when I am up there to actively hunt. If the dogs are around throughout the year the deer get used to the scent. We are all woods, so the likelihood of the dogs seeing a deer to chase is minimal. The deer are much more alert and stay away.  Occ. at night when we let them out I know they spot deer...they take off like a bolt. They are Rotties, so they dont go far and the deer have them way outclassed. No concerns about the deer for hunting season at all, but when I am up there hunting (and my dog always goes with me) I keep her close to the camp. If i let her out to pee, I go out with her and keep a closer eye on her. 

If kept by you doenst seem to effect deer, Turkey on the other hand will not stand for intrusion and will vacate the area.  Neighbor always had Turkey roost on his ridge in spring and would remain thru season.  New neighbor started walking her dog in the mornings as weather got nice in april, birds left and didnt come back till after we found out what was going on.  We both do not allow atvs or walking around from april 1st till after may 31st and from sept 1 thru end of season in dec.  

Many camps up the street set stands and ride atvs right before season and deer dissappear on them.  Let alone truck doors slamming and wood fires burning after being quiet for months.. may not effect young game but older move to safe areas quickly in my experiance, and thus the reason I say sanctuaries are more important than food plots. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, luberhill said:

Not that I liked it and had a few discussions with neighbors and the dogs loose it did not chase the deer off. I sure wouldn't want it happening but if it did once or twice it will not kill a spot. I had a year a few back where I had dogs chase deer past me while on stand a couple times. After talking to neighbor and animal control it ceased finally and the deer went back to normal.

I also have neighbors that their dogs bark a lot normally but on their own property and the deer here could care less.

18 hours ago, luberhill said:

That is where training comes in, all of my hunting dogs are broke off Deer. Can be cured as easy as a simple slap of the leash or enrollment in TriTronics University for boneheads.

Al

2682648270033835012oMtErX_fs.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2