Prescription glasses for shooting

rachunter

For the guys that wear them is there a certain lens that’s better for shooting? I have progressive lenses and seem to be struggling with them on both open sights and scoped rifles. I read a thread about this subject on here a few years back but can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, rachunter said:

For the guys that wear them is there a certain lens that’s better for shooting? I have progressive lenses and seem to be struggling with them on both open sights and scoped rifles. I read a thread about this subject on here a few years back but can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can add is that progressive lens glasses didn't work at all for me while in a tree stand, bowhunting.   I rely on my eyes moving and not my head for close range animals and with the progressives, I was SOL.  My straight power distance glasses (old as the hills) were just the ticket for that scenario.

I don't recall if I've worn my progressives for gun hunting so can't add much more, sorry.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

All I can add is that progressive lens glasses didn't work at all for me while in a tree stand, bowhunting.   I rely on my eyes moving and not my head for close range animals and with the progressives, I was SOL.  My straight power distance glasses (old as the hills) were just the ticket for that scenario.

I don't recall if I've worn my progressives for gun hunting so can't add much more, sorry.

Same here, use a regular lense that I need for distance. I happen to like a tint too for hunting, either rose or yellow, helps with contrast. Significantly helped shooting clays, but found I like them in field conditions too.

I dont need correction for up close, my bifocals have clear glass in them for my job doing fine work because the distance lense blurs at reading distance. Progressives haven't worked at all for me, I reused the frames for a work pair, and wont try them again.

Ironic my prescription keeps going down as I age, I tell my doc if I get old enough I wont need any. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Can you get contact lenses  for you eye site? if you can I would go with them . you don't have to deal with them fogging up or getting dirty .

I asked the doctor about them he said they won't be any good with my stigma.

I'm going to explain I need them for shooting something I didn't tell him last time.The progressives lenes are good for close pistol shooting,but that's it.

• Like 1