small engine mechanic

2012_taco

I know there are a lot of talented guys/gals on this site so I figured I'd ask. I picked up a used toro 2 cycle snowblower from my BIL who left it last year with fuel it the carb and it won't start. I took the carb apart and tried to clean it with no luck. So I ordered a new carb on ebay and installed it today. The snow blower starts and will run with the choke on full, but stalls as soon as I try to turn the choke off. That tells me it's not getting enough fuel? Gas lines are all good and I put in fresh fuel. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

6 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I know there are a lot of talented guys/gals on this site so I figured I'd ask. I picked up a used toro 2 cycle snowblower from my BIL who left it last year with fuel it the carb and it won't start. I took the carb apart and tried to clean it with no luck. So I ordered a new carb on ebay and installed it today. The snow blower starts and will run with the choke on full, but stalls as soon as I try to turn the choke off. That tells me it's not getting enough fuel? Gas lines are all good and I put in fresh fuel. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Does it have a primer button? 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have a craftsman snow thrower that has to warm up a long time before I can take the choke off, I do half the driveway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need its carb serviced and adjusted. A four stroke snowblower engine is ready to have the choke off in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Air filter, Fuel filter , low idle adjustment.

My best guess.. If sat out air filter could be plugged from mice.  Cant get air and is running rich on full choke, dies when looking to pull more air in. As its unavailable

Ok, good suggestions, but here is what I got. It's a brand new carb, no air filter, clean gas, and the carb doesn't have any adjustments. These 2 cycle carbs are factory set. There isn't a gas line filter or a shut off valve. I'll try to sent a little air blast back through the gas line to verify that the gas line is clear. There doesn't appear to be any breaks in the gas line. I'll have to check the primer line. It definitely seems like it's not getting gas. 

Have you tried running the snowblower with the gas cap a bit loose?  I had a similar issue with one of my snowblowers years ago.  I think the gas cap was missing some sort of gasket that allows air to be drawn into the gas tank and, because of the vacuum that was created, gas wasn't able to flow.  I ran it with a loose gas cap for quite a while until I found a replacement cap.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but my issue sounded similar enough to yours that I thought I'd throw this out there.

Sounds to me that there something more than carb trouble going on here.  Does the engine have good compression?  You would have to look up the specs on that and test it with a compression tester.  My guess is the problem is caused by low compression not being able to push and pull the reed valves correctly, hence fuel starvation...  Years ago these 2 strokes were notorious for worn piston rings, hence low compression.. I haven't worked on one of these in years so I dont know if yours even uses reed valves

30 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Ok, good suggestions, but here is what I got. It's a brand new carb, no air filter, clean gas, and the carb doesn't have any adjustments. These 2 cycle carbs are factory set. There isn't a gas line filter or a shut off valve. I'll try to sent a little air blast back through the gas line to verify that the gas line is clear. There doesn't appear to be any breaks in the gas line. I'll have to check the primer line. It definitely seems like it's not getting gas. 

Has to have air cleaner box or filter.  If it's missing it's your problem. 

22 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Sounds to me that there something more than carb trouble going on here.  Does the engine have good compression?  You would have to look up the specs on that and test it with a compression tester.  My guess is the problem is caused by low compression not being able to push and pull the reed valves correctly, hence fuel starvation...  Years ago these 2 strokes were notorious for worn piston rings, hence low compression.. I haven't worked on one of these in years so I dont know if yours even uses reed valves

Bad reeds would cause an issue but these smaller units might be piston port  , I'm not sure one way or the other.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think he means he removed it to test?

Maybe but no engine has a direct air flow to carb ( it would suck up snow or water or ice) ,there is an air box  or combo with filter, with choke on hes running pure gas , when releasing choke less gas is used as it mixes with air.  If it cant get air to vaporize gas it won't run.  Will simply stall out. If air way is restricted it wont run off choke. 

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Maybe but no engine has a direct air flow to carb ( it would suck up snow or water or ice) ,there is an air box  or combo with filter, with choke on hes running pure gas , when releasing choke less gas is used as it mixes with air.  If it cant get air to vaporize gas it won't run.  Will simply stall out. If air way is restricted it wont run off choke. 

Remember the old snowmobiles that had the air horn pointed directly at your mid section LOL they would spray gas all over the front of you while you rode , we called them scarf suckers LOL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I have never seen a snowblower that has an air filter... there is indeed a box around the carb and at least part of the muffler.  The warmer air in the box prevents carb icing 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I think you have an air leak somewhere other than the carb making it too lean to run with the choke off. 

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps the new carb not tightened properly, or gasket bad? Or fuel line clamps to the carb and tank not tight? Or even a small crack or hole in the line?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I have never seen a snowblower that has an air filter... there is indeed a box around the carb and at least part of the muffler.  The warmer air in the box prevents carb icing 

Yes if air flow blocked to carb it will die with choke off may have a seal over new carb air I take that was left on or air inflow to box is blocked by debris.