small engine mechanic

2012_taco

I'm not home so I can't check to see the brand of engine. There isn't any air filter just a little air box. The machine was running fine 1 yr ago, but it sat since with old gas in it. I assumed I wasn't able to get the carb clean so I bought a new one.  I'm going to check the primer and gas lines for leaks etc. And see how it goes after that. 

7 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Remember the old snowmobiles that had the air horn pointed directly at your mid section LOL they would spray gas all over the front of you while you rode , we called them scarf suckers LOL

Yep had one a 71 bombardier 

• Like 1

These new carbs has restrictions on the air fuel adjustment screws. Remove the restrictions and turn the screws all the way in then back them out a half turn. Run it and adjust from there. Also one more thing if that doesn't do it. These replacement carbs are great becaut you can by the for 20 bucks, they are cheap. That being said they are cheap and defectives aren't uncommon. Might have to send it back and get another. You already checked the fuel lines being clear so that's about it

Easiest way to get old snowblower or any old carb  to run with gummed up carb is toss it in pot of boiling water with dawn dish detergent, dont touch settings , shake out water and put gas in it and shake out a few times, works well. 

If you already took carb apart then this is a no go. 

It turns out to be a small leak in the gas supply line. I replaced the line and got it to start with a little gas in the cylinder, once it had time to warm up it ran fine. It does run much better with all the housings back on, it appears that the heat from the engine warms up the intake air. Thanks for all the suggestions, it helps to bounce ideas off others. 

Of course it's going to be 50* next week, but I'm sure we'll get some more snow before this winter is over!

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, G-Man said:

Easiest way to get old snowblower or any old carb  to run with gummed up carb is toss it in pot of boiling water with dawn dish detergent, dont touch settings , shake out water and put gas in it and shake out a few times, works well. 

If you already took carb apart then this is a no go. 

That sounds like something I would like to try, but I have not had a single carb problem from any of my dozen plus small engines, since I started using ethanol-free gas in most of them.  That stuff is well worth the extra 40  to 50 cents a gallon to eliminate all that aggravation.

• Like 1