Who sleeps in their hunting truck?

Grouse

21 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Lots of Subaru Outbacks set up, like that . There’s mollies that are cut to fit the rear windows . Pinterest has lots of good ideas.

Well, I’m off for this years first shed hunt , your finds got me motivated !

That what I have. Molles for the windows and then a shelf that connects the two panels. Good luck. Find some inspiration!

Edited by phade

37 minutes ago, phade said:

It's antlered only as of last year - on public anyhow. Private it is both. 

There is more pressure than one would imagine on public for that season. Mostly because other nearby states are closed and its "something to do" if you will.

Don't let that deter you. Going out of state is liberating. We have good hunting in WNY no doubt, but its hard to describe once you get into even better ground. Ohio a producer but alot more competition due to proximity to eastern states.

Admittedly, I'm wore out hunting here. Small parcels, tons of hunting pressure, and a TON of work just to maybe get a crack at a 130" once a year or a 4.5 yo and sometimes that one encounter doesn't come. It really gives you perspective when you hit those states and people are absolutely underwhelmed with 120s and 130s gets a mild reaction if its more than an 8. A 120" typical with a bow is our standard for NYSBBC. Literal Meh reactions. And then you hunt it and understand. Inches and big deer are not the end all be all, but the experience is much much better. hard to put words to it, even when you come home empty handed.

My hunting partner and I are wanting to set up an Ohio public land hunt. Hopefully for this year? For bow, or late season ML.

phade, I bet if you started a new thread about how you went about setting up the hunt, what areas to look at,(don't want exact locations) getting ready, the trip out there. And your daily routine while hunting. That would be so helpful to anyone thinking about doing an out of state trip!

In my younger days living in SC, I spent many nights in my truck, before hunting and fishing. And like Nomad, when the wife and I weren't seeing things the same way, I've gone up to the farm to think things out and just stayed. 

Sometimes for bass tournaments, especially up to Champlain, I'd get to the launch sites real early, and take a couple hour nap before most of the others showed up. And if I made the cut to fish the next day, would stay in the truck. 

1 hour ago, grampy said:

My hunting partner and I are wanting to set up an Ohio public land hunt. Hopefully for this year? For bow, or late season ML.

phade, I bet if you started a new thread about how you went about setting up the hunt, what areas to look at,(don't want exact locations) getting ready, the trip out there. And your daily routine while hunting. That would be so helpful to anyone thinking about doing an out of state trip!

I'm no expert in that space that is for sure. There are several here that have much more experience at it than me. That trip started the night we were texting back and forth though with that late night recovery and realizing we had time and no buck tags left!

• Like 1

When I had a truck, I slept in it a few times. Piece of old carpet and a foam pad to keep the ribs of the bed liner from making it painful.

Backseat of a car a few times, as well as the back of a station wagon.

Ah, the good old days......

I prefer a tent and a cot these days and planning things out better. Been thinking of a hunting trip to VT for maybe 2022 or 23. A couple places I'm looking at have lean-to's which would give a dry place to sit and keep items like coolers under in bad weather, but the plan is to sleep in a tent. There was a thought of renting a van but, it would be a waste of money when I have perfectly good tents and sleeping gear.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I slept many many nights in the back of my buddies dad’s truck back in the early 80’s through the mid 90’s.  Then my own truck too from ‘83 till ??

Almost always for spring gobbler hunting.  Sometimes we’d sleep 3-4 nights at a time back then.   Great times!  Any roadside creek would provide an ample supply of bath water.   We were always told Ivory Snow soap was good for the water system?!?!?!

Breakfast at the truck in the dark then later morning we would stop and have a big breakfast the dinner was usually started with a barley sandwich or three.  :)

Wolc and Tacks both know the family I hung with then from Clarence Center.  

I remember that blue and white extended cab Ford pickup very well.   I have not known anyone, who could put down a barley sandwich faster than it's owner, God rest his soul.  I ran into his wife in church a couple weeks ago, and she was doing very well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I remember that blue and white extended cab Ford pickup very well.   I have not known anyone, who could put down a barley sandwich faster than it's owner, God rest his soul.  I ran into his wife in church a couple weeks ago, and she was doing very well.

Blue and silver..........:wink:

Most uncomfortable sleep in a truck I had was a few years back. 25 maybe

1983( I think) Toyota extended cab. 2 of us slept for 6 ish hours. We woke up around 5 am:. 

We hiked to the top of Tuckerman's ravine off Mt Washington in NH.(just so we could say we skied Tuckerman's in June) Skied 3 times down  and hiked back out. I am pretty sure I couldn't even make it to the top in one day now..;)

We drove home to  northern NY that night so we wouldn't have to crash in the truck again. Lol..