Best Brassicas?

Last year i tried the mosdy oak new zeland brassica mix. Came up great. They devoured tops. Huge white turnip bulbs grew but even after multiple frosts snows they waited till last day of muzzle season to dig em. Heard the whites are eaten last. Red tops better but also heard d ou akon radish would be eatten much easier. Is there a mix of both out there somewhere.

Radish is a better in season draw in my experiance , purple top is next. Followed by appin.   The whole planting brassica Is less is more , they will look scattered and like you missed whole areas till the tops fill out. 

You can mix yourself . But radish seed is much larger than radish, so use half suggested rate for area and seed one and then do same with other seed . 

You stated it best with your last sentenced, is a mix! You want to add good diversity to every plot for the best attraction. Unless you have a half dozen big sized plots you can offer more.. Also diversity is good for the soil. A good seed blend will keep deer in your plot more times than not compared to a monoculture planting. 

As far as Brassicas go, The tops always get eaten first. The bulbs get eaten as the available tops become rotten or all eaten. I like to offer Purple Top Turnips, Daikon Radish, and Rutabaga for bulbs in my brassica plots, The radish tends to get eaten sooner as it rots quicker, And the Rutabaga is a sweeter version or a PTT. Also try to keep these bulbs no bigger than softballs if you can(Planting Date Driven). 

Then add some Brassicas that dont produce bulbs, Like winfred brassica. It will grow 3ft tall and they'll eat it right to the ground just about, stalk and all.

I also like to mix in cold hardy Annual clovers like balansa and Frosty berseem. These clovers will cover the gap in height above the bulb, and below th ebrassica leaf. Making a thick lush plot with available fall winter foods regardless of the temperature! And the plan for most of us is to keep deer on the plot as much as possible. and not in the neighbors. Just make sure with seed blends, seeds of the same size are broadcast together, and bigger seeds spread separate for the best coverage. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much guys. Great knowledge. I definetly over seeded mine then. Like the clover idea for inbetween. Im having trouble finding individual seed species. All im finding are the blends from W.I. mossy etc. Around here all i have is tractor supply and feed stores with no seed. Where to find just diakon. Purple top annual clover?

Try handcockseed.com or harrisseed.com if you want specific seed.  Best if you can buy bulk and split with others.  Always follow recommended seeding rates.  And to ensure proper planting cover area you want to plant with half the amount called for 1st( this may include very fast walking or super slow seed opening. ) then cover again from different direction using other half . After you do. This a few times you'll learn what setting to use on your seeder. I always walk when seeding brassica seed. As machines tend to send to much.  A good earthway seeing bag is a must imo. 

I won't buy from Hancock any longer.

Bought from them using a credit card, that had never been used before, and it was the only charge. Had an employee there decide to go on a spending spree with my card. That was fun. They shipped me a ton of free seed which was nice when all said and done, but that was enough of that business.

• Thanks 1

Radish, PTT, DER has been a reliable mix for us. We will mix in some wheat/rye/peas at times too.

Clover we usually mix medium red and I prefer Alice white clover but usually end up with ladino due to availability.

I know people push hard on brassica and going direct, but if you're putting in a 1/4 or 1/2 acre, alot of the buck on bag mixes can work well (some are full-on traps). I buy half my seed from TSC and the other half from an Agway.

You can't tell them apart, and the driving distance along offsets the cost. 

024A65EA-0C67-4BD8-B778-44F09E5F9F9E.jpeg

70CD687A-E51A-400E-BC4D-66E693ECB026.jpeg

4F883B80-C430-4AB4-BE65-A01D09F2588F.jpeg

BAF845C4-650A-4876-9ED6-9B3736ACF2E4.jpeg

Edited by phade

1 hour ago, SWEDE said:

Heres last years white new zealand they didnt eat till season was over. Liked tops tho

20201031_161209.jpg

Most bulbs are eaten after season.  No matter the variety,  tops are eaten 1st, radish in october and turnip seem to be later in nov. Here.  Another good planting would be winter rye for in season attraction

Nice looking dtuff. Those deer are the proof. Im thinking half plot purpletop half plot diakon with bersem clover mixed in both. Maybe strip plant the 2 brassica.   I have small plots in woods but poor light. Maybe filtered light 7 hrs. Would that be enough for the winifred bulbless turnip

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

If it is a small plot honestly you cant beat clover. Deer still digging thru 20 in of snow to get to it. 

I agree but the last three years my half acre clover plot is down to the ground by the end of October.  I have other small plots but clover is always the first choice.

13 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

I agree but the last three years my half acre clover plot is down to the ground by the end of October.  I have other small plots but clover is always the first choice.

If that's the case overseed with winter rye, clover will come back and wr will release some pressure on clover in plot

if the soil is in shape or best you can get for the time being with lime and other amendments...fertilize! 

It makes a world of difference IMO with brassicas. They love N but we usually go with triple 10 or 15 and lay it on. The difference in even a week or two is astounding. I plant and fert at the same time lightly and then come back 30 days later with it again and it hits a growth spurt fast.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:39 PM, moog5050 said:

For brassicas, this stuff has not let me down.   https://frigidforage.com/big-n-beasty/  Always grows great and draws from the start of green up through late season, at least at my one parcel - the other parcel, they have too many other options and brassicas are really not preferred

Absolutely! This stuff rocks. I also planted Antler King Honey Hole - less seed for the $ since it's coated in some orange stuff, but easier to see on planting - and recommend it as well.