Advice on what you would do, for this coming hunting season

rob-c

So I’m trying to decide what to do for this years hunting season. We have thought about buying land, but of course there’s the cost involved. We are still actively looking for a lease too. But I decided to check out all the state land thats 30 mins or less from me and well as you can see by the photo from my HuntStand I have 9 state forest near Campbell. I’ve never hunted any of these as I’ve always had a place to hunt, but boy I’m considering just hunting state land. What would you do in my situation ? 

67A44B1F-7B4F-463C-AC19-527FA8DBAF58.jpeg

Lot of stateland to explore, with the exception of opening day or phesant release sites if found most public land devoid of hunters especially off main access roads. I enjoy a walk thru local state lands for fall Turkey and never see another hunter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say spend the spring and summer scouting.  Look at some local places and knock on some local doors and see if some private land can be avail.  And then start picking a piece of stateland every weekend and take a hike thru it.  The tough part about state land is you really dont know how many or where it is being hunted until hunting season actually starts.  Then you will see how many people are there and if its overrun or underused. There is def a certain challenge and reward to bagging a state land buck.  Much like bagging an adirondack buck.  I almost shot a 3 point last year just cause it was an adironadack state land buck and thats a win in itself and wish i did now.  

I always ask private land owners about bow hunting only cause they are much more comfortable with that, then it might work into Muzzleloader and eventually gun.  I wouldnt rule out any of it.  Keep looking for it all and make it a goal over the spring and summer to have hiked each one of those state lands and cross them off your list as you go.   Then get on google maps and an app like huntstand and pick out 5 -10 private places to ask locally about hunting. 

it is def tough finding new spots these days.  I have been trying to add one to my list for a few months now without much luck but i am lucky to have a main hunting area available to me.  Good luck 

• Thanks 1

Don't see the Erwin wilderness management unit on your list. I went on it once when I moved to Corning during muzzleloader. 

That day I just walked. Ran into people on the roadways but not off them. I seen a doe that day I could have shot and found rubs. Appeared to be good property,  butI have access to multiple private properties so didnt hunt it again.

I did fish one of the ponds on the land that summer too, but didn't catch nothing

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Just Lucky said:

Don't see the Erwin wilderness management unit on your list. I went on it once when I moved to Corning during muzzleloader. 

That day I just walked. Ran into people on the roadways but not off them. I seen a doe that day I could have shot and found rubs. Appeared to be good property,  butI have access to multiple private properties so didnt hunt it again.

I did fish one of the ponds on the land that summer too, but didn't catch nothing

Yeah I left that one off as that gets hit pretty hard during the season, I had a few buddy’s that hunted there and they were lukewarm on it. 

From my experience you wont see many hunters all bow season.  Gun dies off after opening weekend so the way I see it it's like having 1000s of acres to yourself without paying for it.  The best time to scout a new piece atleast for me is as soon as the snow melts because it will show the sign from the fall really well.  

Some spots you may need to walk in a mile or more others you might be within eyesight of the road.  Just have a plan b-z just in case.  I always make sure i have 2-3 spots per stateland just in case someone beats me to my spot first. Which doesn't happen much.

Last thing is you are going to have to be more aggressive on your sits and be mobile.  If you know where they are bedding get in as close as possible because most deer and especially big bucks wont move outside of their bedroom until very last light on stateland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

With 9 State Lands nearby- your answer is before you!

Take a walk on on 9 in the next few Months. Take a Notebook with a pen with you.

Public Lands can be Tough and very rewarding to those who put Boots to the ground and Scout.

I second this .  State land can be extremely productive we have had good luck on state land .   Once we were out in Calhoun creek forest pulled up three trucks were loading up and leaving .we entered the woods headed to the steepest section and thickest cripple brush . Not a foot track in the snow . 2 hours later we were heading out to the truck with a 8 on the drag.. I guess the previous group never saw anything. Lol

• Like 2

The county you live in probably owns forestry county lands which some you are allowed to hunt on .   Some of these properties are donated to the county by the philanthropic sector other land is given to the county in Lou of rest home or county home fees for individuals in assisted-living end of life situations. At times these tracks of land are hundreds of acres . You should check with your local county soil and water office .  may be a lot more land than meets the eye that you have access to .  County owned recreational property seems to be well hidden to the average user .  Sorry for all the posts but I hunt a lot of public, state ,county forestry lands we have hella  good luck so this topic is one for me to share on .

Edited by Whitetailhobo
More to say
  • Like 2

State land can be productive but you need to ensure you get out what you want.

Some people prefer a small slice of private over vast public because it is what they want - peace, quiet, unless something goes awry, nobody on your ground without you saying so, etc.

There are pockets of public that will produce. The comment about county is true, also look for local govt owned land. Often times they are small parcels and or hard to reach but the by laws sometimes don't explicitly forbid hunting. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whitetailhobo said:

The county you live in probably owns forestry county lands which some you are allowed to hunt on .   Some of these properties are donated to the county by the philanthropic sector other land is given to the county in Lou of rest home or county home fees for individuals in assisted-living end of life situations. At times these tracks of land are hundreds of acres . You should check with your local county soil and water office .  may be a lot more land than meets the eye that you have access to .  County owned recreational property seems to be well hidden to the average user .  Sorry for all the posts but I hunt a lot of public, state ,county forestry lands we have hella  good luck so this topic is one for me to share on .

Nope appreciate the suggestions .