Anyone built there own hot tent stove ?

Whitetailhobo

We have been primitive camping and back country camping for quite a few years . Sometimes we camp with a travel trailer other times it’s whatever you can get under. This falls hunting trip will be back country paddle or hike in . I’m entertaining the idea of building a custom stove for the tent / teepee.  Bigger than little but smaller than large and some sort of ability to store parts and pieces of stove within itself .  I found this design on another hunting website. I thought maybe I would try this or try to improve upon it .anybody out there have anything that they built or use regularly .

670BC93D-A189-42C8-9AE3-ED02178F9A9B.png

C38D21EB-B6C2-47A4-9AEE-54CE599748D4.png

• Like 1

That looks heavy and tough to carry.

This is what we bought when we started doing some backwoods hunting. It’s currently hidden in a cave in the Adirondacks, with the rest of camp ready for a spring trout trip. It weighs 3lbs with the chimney pipe.ad82c05e0a9b6431fd0fd66eef1a1096.jpg

https://seekoutside.com/large-titanium-wood-stove-stovepipe/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_2565.png

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That looks heavy and tough to carry.

This is what we bought when we started doing some backwoods hunting. It’s currently hidden in a cave in the Adirondacks, with the rest of camp ready for a spring trout trip. It weighs 3lbs with the chimney pipe.ad82c05e0a9b6431fd0fd66eef1a1096.jpg

https://seekoutside.com/large-titanium-wood-stove-stovepipe/

IMG_2565.png

Kevin the owner of Seek outside is avid back country hunter, given me some great advice even when it wasn't his brand.

Wouldnt hesitate to buy anything they sell.

• Like 1

That seek outside looks like a great stove .  We  would be doing about the same thing transported in and then stash it for the seasons to come.  hike it out only if we’re leaving the area completely .  The idea of a little larger firebox and trying to get a little longer burn time is the reason why I posted a bit larger stove .  We would not need to backpack it all over .so if it weighs at 15 to 20 pounds for a single hike in or hike out with it don’t think it would be an issue .   I was thinking of cutting down a 20 gallon steel drum so it’s not a 55 gallon drum diameter .  I think building something is going to make a good father son shop project . I have just about every tool imaginable between cutting welding nailing drilling pouring molding forming and casting.  This will be more of an adventure right now .   If we don’t succeed and it ends up in the scrap pile the fun will be getting to that point . “ and maybe blowing it up in the end “

• Like 1

That seek outside looks like a great stove .  We  would be doing about the same thing transported in and then stash it for the seasons to come.  hike it out only if we’re leaving the area completely .  The idea of a little larger firebox and trying to get a little longer burn time is the reason why I posted a bit larger stove .  We would not need to backpack it all over .so if it weighs at 15 to 20 pounds for a single hike in or hike out with it don’t think it would be an issue .   I was thinking of cutting down a 20 gallon steel drum so it’s not a 55 gallon drum diameter .  I think building something is going to make a good father son shop project . I have just about every tool imaginable between cutting welding nailing drilling pouring molding forming and casting.  This will be more of an adventure right now .   If we don’t succeed and it ends up in the scrap pile the fun will be getting to that point . “ and maybe blowing it up in the end “

Projects are fun, a 20gallon steel drum stove is what we started with. We used to move camp every couple days during a trip so we went the foldable lightweight route.

With a good bed of coals the seek outside will make heat for 4 hours between fill ups.

• Like 1

Just a thought:

If this is going to be for a "base camp" and not being moved around you may want to consider turning the barrel on it's side to allow for use of longer length wood.  I've used both upright barrel stoves and lengthwise and prefer the later.  I currently have a larger barrel stove in my camp and they throw heat.

I'm sure you thought of it but make sure you burn it hot after your done fabricating to get rid of the paint and then repaint with high temp stuff.  Also put some sand in the bottom of the barrel to help prevent damage to the barrel from the heat of the coals.  

Smaller base camp style setup . Big enough to squat around and heat about 100 sft  base tent ,  but small enough to canoe in or game cart out . Setup base camp first week October break down second week of November. There is three of use to do the hump work setup and prep camp prior . Would like it to be 25 pounds or less when finished.  There seems to be a lot of different styles out there on YouTube .  wondering if anybody on the site here had attempted to build anything .

• 2 years later...

I've been using a Pomoly tent stoves for the past few years and I love it! It's much more efficient than commercial stoves and it's much easier to pack.
My stove is a folding stove, which means that it breaks down into small pieces that can easily be stored in my backpack. It's also very lightweight, which is important when I'm backpacking long distances.

Edited by alozcarney
  • Like 1

I ended up building a bucket stove . The chimney pipe stores in the pail . It can be burnt as a tent stove or without the lid upright as a camp fire .

we have used it for a couple seasons . And it is now part of our big woods northern zone cache .

Edited by Whitetailhobo