Crossbow Full Inclusion Support needed

tughillmcd

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

I send regular emails to my senator, assemblyman, governor and the DEC. Explaining why there shouldnt be crossbows in the archery seasson.

Please enlighten us on your non scientific opinion? Isn't the goal of the DEC  to reduce deer numbers? If the DEC  can enlist /entice more sportsman by allowing the use of crossbows into full inclusion then whats the issue?  Are we to allow bowhunters opinion to dicate game mgt. or should we allow all bowhunters the choice to use  any bow equipment to reach DEC deer mgt. goals? Please I would love to hear your logic as to why not to give crossbow full inclusion?

• Like 1

Ideally, archery season would be split between "traditional", which would allow only recurves and long bows, starting on October 1st.  Starting on October 15th, until opening day of gun, the "modern" archery weapons could be used, including compounds and crossbows.

Such a structure offers something for most.  The "real", traditionalists would get their peaceful, special time to themselves and the crossbow would get a bigger chunk of the season. 

The only ones who would might loose something, are the selfish, elitist compound only guys.  I can't say that I have any sympathy for them.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Ideally, archery season would be split between "traditional", which would allow only recurves and long bows, starting on October 1st.  Starting on October 15th, until opening day of gun, the "modern" archery weapons could be used, including compounds and crossbows.

Such a structure offers something for most.  The "real", traditionalists would get their peaceful, special time to themselves and the crossbow would get a bigger chunk of the season. 

The only ones who would might loose something, are the selfish, elitist compound only guys.  I can't say that I have any sympathy for them.

Going by your logic there should be three different seasons then. Traditional to compound is about as different as compound to crossbow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

You literally said you don't want your public land flooded with lazy crossbow hunters.  Do you not even know what you wrote? Again, answer my question, why should you be able to hunt  with a bow but I can't hunt with a crossbow in the same season, why you can choose a bow but I can't choose a crossbow, why? BTW I hunt with a bow, but I also enjoy using a crossbow, im quite successful with both but why should I have another hunter tell me what to use ? I swear you bowhunter elitist are more detrimental to this sport then those tree huggers.  

I'll just keep this simple, a bow does not have a scope or a gun stock, if it has those features, its a gun. All be it a gun that shoots an arrow, still a gun.

As for my post, perhaps I miss-worded it, or perhaps like others you just read into things what you want and miss the point. Yes, I did say lazy people. How many people have stated they would get into "archery" if they could use a crossbow for the whole season? How many of those have also stated it's because of how easy they are to tune and set up? That they don't want the hassle of shooting a vertical bow often to get proficient? I won't even go into the thought process being pushed that leads some to think they are going to get so much more yardage from a crossbow. Yep, if it walks and quacks like a duck.........

My personal opinion on the whole matter has changed. From what I consider them to be, to some of the problems full inclusion will bring. Also after listening to people who are against it explain their reasons. I say this over and over and over and over, I try to look at the big picture.

Trust me when I say this- I am no elitist bow hunter! If anything, adding full inclusion will cater to the elitist gun hunters. Think about that for a little while, seriously think about it. Let it sink in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bottom line, anything that will promote more hunters in the field is a good thing! I only bow hunt and I don’t pass judgment on any crossbow hunters.

Irrespective of the fact that shooting a crossbow is was easier - who really cares?

IMHO in less than 10 years - bow hunters will be the old guys & crossbow hunters will dominate.

It is what it is. Everyone just has to relax with this argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

As usual you and,I  agree on very little. Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense at all...

I don't  deserve a peaceful and special  time to be out on October  1st with a Crossbow?!!

I am what this subject is about. Someone with little to no interest in Deer Hunting. 

Even less so when Public Pressure is applied to a discipline, I  have little to no interest in.

However,if Crossbow starts on October  1st with early Archery-- now,I  am interested!

And all my Turkey Hunting Woodsmanship would be put to this new discipline. 

This for or against is really about competition.  Competition  with more Hunters like me who ordinarily  would not go Deer hunting at all. Same as you as far as Turkey Hunting and your lack of interest in that discipline...

Bill, I was able to kill a turkey a few years ago.  If opening archery season for crossbows on Ocrober 1 is what it will take to finally get you a deer, then I am all for it.  Otherwise, I am content with an October 15 crossbow owner, and letting the "traditionalists" have their time.

Personally, being a MEAT first guy, I would rather harvest my deer when the weather cools off a bit.  That makes it easier for me to keep the meat fresh.  October 15 is just right, most years.

I enjoy bow hunting and the preparation it takes to be confident in taking a deer during bow season. I personally have no interest in crossbow and if given a choice would probably just gun hunt.

I have a brother-in-law that bow hunts but can't wait for full inclusion simply because he feels it is easier and doesn't have to put the time in practicing and scouting. He sits in pretty much the same tree stands in the same places every year and feels that the crossbow gives him the opportunity to shoot farther with less effort.

Me on the other hand realize my limitations with a compound and feel the challenge of scouting and being able set up close enough to get a decent shot is part of the hunt. I probably enjoy and look forward to that as much or more than the sitting in the stand.

I am not against crossbows but don't support full inclusion simply because as mentioned before it will more than likely put more people in the woods.

I like the early bow for that reason among others but have noticed there seems to be more and more bowhunters every year.

Full inclusion will make no difference on how I hunt but I am not ready to support it.

Edit: I am with wolc123 on the 15th opening date. I hardly ever hunt much before then. Maybe give the first two weeks to the x-bow hunters???

Edited by Steve D

20 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

October 1st for Crossbow would be nice indeed. I have no interest in Does.  A Small Legal Buck would be good enough for me and back to the Pheasant Fields,I  would then go.

Kind of like I dont have much interest in spring tom turkeys.  Tough, dry, and stringy and way too many bugs in May. The young fall hen that I killed was pretty tasty however, even the drum-sticks.

no not at all cause 1} it was originally called a primitive arms season like muzzle-loader season too.2} its a cross between a rifle and a bow leaning more towards a rifle and it dont shoot arrows but bolts. back in the 70's my fathers friend had one it looked like a mini14 if anyone doesnt know what that is its was the ar 15 of its day modeled on the m14]/m1 carbine [it had the same rifle stock] and he said it was illegal he said cause it had no report so it was easy to jack deer with it .I believe it was part of the reason it was illegal except if you had a handicap for so long .Back in the 50's 60's and the 70's it was a long hard  struggle to even get an archery/primative arms season and even then alot of purist didnt want compound bows back then.  my opinion it should stay the same as it is.

• Haha 1

Trail153 you should be able to defend your position

Trail is something you walk on. Trials are that I win.

Use the search feature. I explained my position a dozen times and dont care to explain it again to someone that already their mind made up and whose opinion is of little consequence.
Thats the exzact opposite of the effort I take in contacting my representatives as well as the representatives that are in the most impacted districts.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Trail is something you walk on. Trials are that I win.

Use the search feature. I explained my position a dozen times and dont care to explain it again to someone that already their mind made up and whose opinion is of little consequence.
Thats the exzact opposite of the effort I take in contacting my representatives as well as the representatives that are in the most impacted districts.

Well if your grammar and spelling , are similar in those emails , I’m sure it makes a strong impact .

Its all for naught anywho ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I used to be on board for full inclusion, not anymore. It was bad enough last deer season on public land during the gun season with over populated areas. Add the cross bow into the main archery season and I may as well stay home because odd are I won't have a place to hunt in the SZ because all the people who just want the easy way into the bow season will be out in hordes. I'm all for those with a disability having full inclusion, but not every tome dick and harry anymore.

That’s a piss poor excuse. First everyone should have a choice to hunt with whatever the want during archery and second if someone put forth more effort they could find all kinds of state land where most days you don’t see a person.    You get out what you put in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

I enjoy bow hunting and the preparation it takes to be confident in taking a deer during bow season. I personally have no interest in crossbow and if given a choice would probably just gun hunt.

I have a brother-in-law that bow hunts but can't wait for full inclusion simply because he feels it is easier and doesn't have to put the time in practicing and scouting. He sits in pretty much the same tree stands in the same places every year and feels that the crossbow gives him the opportunity to shoot farther with less effort.

Me on the other hand realize my limitations with a compound and feel the challenge of scouting and being able set up close enough to get a decent shot is part of the hunt. I probably enjoy and look forward to that as much or more than the sitting in the stand.

I am not against crossbows but don't support full inclusion simply because as mentioned before it will more than likely put more people in the woods.

I like the early bow for that reason among others but have noticed there seems to be more and more bowhunters every year.

Full inclusion will make no difference on how I hunt but I am not ready to support it.

Edit: I am with wolc123 on the 15th opening date. I hardly ever hunt much before then. Maybe give the first two weeks to the x-bow hunters???

You hunt private land?  If so how would someone else’s hunting hurt you?

• Like 1

Well if your grammar and spelling , are similar in those emails , I’m sure it makes a strong impact .
Its all for naught anywho ......

Na, typing with just my thumb on phone is about all the effort this argument is worth here. I can give two shits what a rude asshole like yourself thinks of my grammar.

13 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

You hunt private land?  If so how would someone else’s hunting hurt you?

I do hunt some private land. Some of which I do not own and the owners like to hunt it on the weekends. Out of respect I stay out so as not to interfere with their hunting. The adjoining  properties also get quite a bit of pressure both bow & gun.

I always make it a point to have some areas of state land and some seasons spend the majority of my time there based on sign and crowds. I don't care what time of year it is, I would just prefer to hunt in an area with less hunters whether it is private or public.

I am not suggesting other hunters hurt my hunting. I am just more interested in hunting in a place with the least amount of traffic as possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trial153 said:

Please, spare the bullshit. If you havent heard the reasons for not having crossbows during the archery season by then then you havent been listening or quite frankly you have a comprehension issue.

I think your the one with a comprehension issue. Your entitled to your opinion. My position is to allow a hunter to use their bow of choice, makes no difference to me nor do I care what he or she chooses to use. The deer are not yours. I really do hope full inclusion does pass. Crossbows are easier then compounds and compounds easier then traditional,  so what. Doesn't affect my hunting in the least.

• Like 1

I think your the one with a comprehension issue. Your entitled to your opinion. My position is to allow a hunter to use their bow of choice, makes no difference to me nor do I care what he or she chooses to use. The deer are not yours. I really do hope full inclusion does pass. Crossbows are easier then compounds and compounds easier then traditional,  so what. Doesn't affect my hunting in the least.

Quite frankly I can care less what your opinion is.
I don't believe they should be allowed in the archery season except for the elderly or disabled. They add too much efficacy to the season and will lead to reduced opportunities for bowhunting regardless of the type of bow chosen.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I'll just keep this simple, a bow does not have a scope or a gun stock, if it has those features, its a gun. All be it a gun that shoots an arrow, still a gun.

As for my post, perhaps I miss-worded it, or perhaps like others you just read into things what you want and miss the point. Yes, I did say lazy people. How many people have stated they would get into "archery" if they could use a crossbow for the whole season? How many of those have also stated it's because of how easy they are to tune and set up? That they don't want the hassle of shooting a vertical bow often to get proficient? I won't even go into the thought process being pushed that leads some to think they are going to get so much more yardage from a crossbow. Yep, if it walks and quacks like a duck.........

My personal opinion on the whole matter has changed. From what I consider them to be, to some of the problems full inclusion will bring. Also after listening to people who are against it explain their reasons. I say this over and over and over and over, I try to look at the big picture.

Trust me when I say this- I am no elitist bow hunter! If anything, adding full inclusion will cater to the elitist gun hunters. Think about that for a little while, seriously think about it. Let it sink in.

Your entitled to your opinion, but please stop back peddling it does nothing to help your cause. All your arguments are flawed and has no science behind it. Remember the function of the DEC is to reach mgt. goals and the elitist bowhunters that want to reduce hunters in thier woods and keep the lazy people out. That does nothing to help the DEC to achieve thier numbers. The DEC wants to add crossbows to attract more hunters to kill more deer, seems like a win win situation. You actually are a disgrace to all hunters with your name calling, placing hunters in categories, calling us lazy.  I would never even dare tell another hunter what weapon to use or try to block the use of a weapon within legality.  Now you let that sink in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Quite frankly I can care less what your opinion is.
I don't believe they should be allowed in the archery season except for the elderly or disabled. They add too much efficacy to the season and will lead to reduced opportunities for bowhunting regardless of the type of bow chosen.

I guess we atleast agree on one thing, because I can give two shits about your elitist opinion. Your argument is selfish, flawed and one sided. Your personal agenda/goals should have no bearing on the DEC's mgt goals. Keep sending your representatives emails , full inclusion is inevitable.  

• Like 2

I guess we atleast agree on one thing, because I can give two shits about your elitist opinion. Your argument is selfish, flawed and one-sided. Your personal agenda/goals should have no bearing on the DEC's mgt goals. Keep sending your representatives emails , full inclusion is inevitable.  
Unfortunately, you're correct. With the trend towards participation trophies for everyone, and catering to the lowest common denominator I do believe that at some point there will be full inclusion.

54 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I do hunt some private land. Some of which I do not own and the owners like to hunt it on the weekends. Out of respect I stay out so as not to interfere with their hunting. The adjoining  properties also get quite a bit of pressure both bow & gun.

I always make it a point to have some areas of state land and some seasons spend the majority of my time there based on sign and crowds. I don't care what time of year it is, I would just prefer to hunt in an area with less hunters whether it is private or public.

I am not suggesting other hunters hurt my hunting. I am just more interested in hunting in a place with the least amount of traffic as possible.

Well if you get in a pinch I can send you to a place where Xbow will have no bearing if you see anyone or not.