Crossbow Full Inclusion Support needed

tughillmcd

The opinion many have is crossgun are more effective weapons. The state needs that so they can reach harvest objectives. Being crossgun is easier that’s a great idea. The argument though is contradictory. Why not just make a buckshot season for instance coincide? The range isn’t any different. Has lots of the same features as a crossgun? 
It’d be less likely to miss than even a crossgun. Why not push for that? Or we could just say forget the bow season. Make it all a general season. Extend the season is another answer. So is allowing bait, God forbid 
Bowhunters have a mentality crossgun guys don’t. None of this is about my shoulder hurts. It’s about manipulating something to get your way. Bow hunters enjoy the solitude, look to the challenge. That’s why they want the season they worked for and love to stay the same. Be a bow hunter. Challenge yourself and use it muzzleloader season  and be happy. If that not an acceptable answer you need to wonder why you want to be a “bow” hunter. Answer is you don’t. You want the easy way out. No one cares if you shoot deer. God bless you if you do. Use a bow, bow season and a gun, gun season. If crossgun ever did get allowed we shouldn’t stop there. Think about the inclusion of other things to help dec regulate numbers if that’s the sole intention. Nothing worse than someone lying or manipulating to try and shame you into agreeing with them. You need more brainpower than that. Weak argument folks. Bow guys keep it up, keep fighting 
100%

2 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

The opinion many have is crossgun are more effective weapons. The state needs that so they can reach harvest objectives. Being crossgun is easier that’s a great idea. The argument though is contradictory. Why not just make a buckshot season for instance coincide? The range isn’t any different. Has lots of the same features as a crossgun? 
It’d be less likely to miss than even a crossgun. Why not push for that? Or we could just say forget the bow season. Make it all a general season. Extend the season is another answer. So is allowing bait, God forbid 

Bowhunters have a mentality crossgun guys don’t. None of this is about my shoulder hurts. It’s about manipulating something to get your way. Bow hunters enjoy the solitude, look to the challenge. That’s why they want the season they worked for and love to stay the same. Be a bow hunter. Challenge yourself and use it muzzleloader season  and be happy. If that not an acceptable answer you need to wonder why you want to be a “bow” hunter. Answer is you don’t. You want the easy way out. No one cares if you shoot deer. God bless you if you do. Use a bow, bow season and a gun, gun season. If crossgun ever did get allowed we shouldn’t stop there. Think about the inclusion of other things to help dec regulate numbers if that’s the sole intention. Nothing worse than someone lying or manipulating to try and shame you into agreeing with them. You need more brainpower than that. Weak argument folks. Bow guys keep it up, keep fighting 

Crossgun huh? TFF. Many folks who enjoy crossbow usage are former archery bow hunters. Who are you to assert what should or shouldn’t be used? Somebody die and leave you in charge? 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Sometimes when I read something, I just have to chuckle a little. This is one of those times.

I have been, and continue to be a bowhunter for almost 40 years. Did my mentality suddenly change, the first time I shot a crossbow???

I certainly have never noticed a difference in solitude in the deer woods, when using a bow or crossbow.

Yup... after surgeries on both shoulders, my shoulders DO hurt sometimes! But I have re-habbed my butt off to get to where I can "sometimes" draw my bow. 

I am, and HAVE been a bowhunter!! I like crossbow too! Is only one or the other acceptable to ME, decided upon by others I don't even know?

I do care if I shoot a deer!!!! But it matters little to me if I use a bow or crossbow at this point. I've killed a whole lot of deer with a bow. First one with a recurve. I don't have to prove anything to myself, or anyone else.

We are all different. We won't always agree. That is fine! No problem. Hunt your way, I'll hunt mine.

But I will "NEVER" fight against another hunter, because they don't hunt the same as me. Or they use a different bow, caliber of rifle, hunt from a tree, instead of the ground..............this list is endless! United we stand. Divided we fall. Simple as that. Look around, don't need to look too far to see that hunters are a minority these days. And partly, because of the bickering amongst ourselves! We are slowly eroding what we ALL love. All because of the closed mindedness, selfishness, jealousy, and fears, of a small percentage of our own!

Continue hunting how you like. Let others do the same. It's all good. Just hunting!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Hey man....I respect your right to yawn...............:taunt:

I mean even I'm tired of this debate. Nothing has changed but the new members. 

Isn't that telling if Belo is tired of arguing crossbows? lol

edit to say it's interesting that the last few pages I skimmed seem to be 2 members who don't like eachother and nothing more. One of which doesn't even deer or archery hunt :rofl:

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Trial153 said:
11 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

100%

Cupcakes best stick to nyb.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, grampy said:

Sometimes when I read something, I just have to chuckle a little. This is one of those times.

I have been, and continue to be a bowhunter for almost 40 years. Did my mentality suddenly change, the first time I shot a crossbow???

I certainly have never noticed a difference in solitude in the deer woods, when using a bow or crossbow.

Yup... after surgeries on both shoulders, my shoulders DO hurt sometimes! But I have re-habbed my butt off to get to where I can "sometimes" draw my bow. 

I am, and HAVE been a bowhunter!! I like crossbow too! Is only one or the other acceptable to ME, decided upon by others I don't even know?

I do care if I shoot a deer!!!! But it matters little to me if I use a bow or crossbow at this point. I've killed a whole lot of deer with a bow. First one with a recurve. I don't have to prove anything to myself, or anyone else.

We are all different. We won't always agree. That is fine! No problem. Hunt your way, I'll hunt mine.

But I will "NEVER" fight against another hunter, because they don't hunt the same as me. Or they use a different bow, caliber of rifle, hunt from a tree, instead of the ground..............this list is endless! United we stand. Divided we fall. Simple as that. Look around, don't need to look too far to see that hunters are a minority these days. And partly, because of the bickering amongst ourselves! We are slowly eroding what we ALL love. All because of the closed mindedness, selfishness, jealousy, and fears, of a small percentage of our own!

Continue hunting how you like. Let others do the same. It's all good. Just hunting!

1st of all I will preface this by saying I agree with most of your views I've seen posted..

I hate participating in these debates , because it pretty much rehashing the sames old stuff.

Whenever I have proposed that we compromise, it seems to get glossed over.. Why not compromise?

A couple weeks of regular archery and then crossbow. Boom! Everybody is 1/2 happy.lol

I know in the northern zone the last week of our short bow season is open for muzzleloader.  This has totally changed our hunting experience. Once the # of hunters hit the woods archery becomes way more difficult.

I don't have problems killing a deer, regardless. So it doesn't make a big difference to me. I just hate to see another semi " traditional " hunting method disappear. The day will come when a compound is just as rare as a recurve or long bow.

• Like 2

I'm not opposed to full inclusion but I live in central Livingston Co and things are much different out here and to the south in Allegany Co where there are literally 10's of thousands of acres of State Forest to hunt in. My wife and I take weekend rides during all parts of bow season and there are no more hunters out during the crossbow portion, in fact I'd say fewer are hunting then. I just don't see the deer take going up, nor do I see masses of hunters in the woods if they make crossbow legal for the entire season. I guess one could look at stats from other states for hours and come up with an answer to that.
 I have bow hunted for 40 years, and I like having the choice on what to hunt with. I have a 20 year old Parker compound that I shoot often and can hit a pie plate out to 50 yards consistently with no problem. I've taken deer out to 40 but most shots during bow are around 20 yds. In the last year I picked up a few 1960's recurves and have been having a blast learning how to shoot them. I hope to get proficient enough to hunt with a recurve this fall because I want to. I can still use a compound or crossbow if I want as well. For me the compound is more versatile and would be my go to choice if someone said "hey go out and get me some game, squirrel rabbit, venison." Reason being I can shoot my Parker off hand better than I can a crossbow and it's much easier to walk around with in the woods. It's great to have choices, it's fun to take a deer with all of them, and to each his own.
 It doesn't matter much to me, and keeping the seasons the way it is now is fine, but I feel bad for my older hunting buddies who can no longer draw a bow but live to hunt. In thier 70's and on is pushing 90, they stay home opening day, and miss out on all of those beatiful October days in the deer woods. 

Good hunting,
GM
>>>-------->

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

I'm not opposed to full inclusion but I live in central Livingston Co and things are much different out here and to the south in Allegany Co where there are literally 10's of thousands of acres of State Forest to hunt in. My wife and I take weekend rides during all parts of bow season and there are no more hunters out during the crossbow portion, in fact I'd say fewer are hunting then. I just don't see the deer take going up, nor do I see masses of hunters in the woods if they make crossbow legal for the entire season. I guess one could look at stats from other states for hours and come up with an answer to that.
 I have bow hunted for 40 years, and I like having the choice on what to hunt with. I have a 20 year old Parker compound that I shoot often and can hit a pie plate out to 50 yards consistently with no problem. I've taken deer out to 40 but most shots during bow are around 20 yds. In the last year I picked up a few 1960's recurves and have been having a blast learning how to shoot them. I hope to get proficient enough to hunt with a recurve this fall because I want to. I can still use a compound or crossbow if I want as well. For me the compound is more versatile and would be my go to choice if someone said "hey go out and get me some game, squirrel rabbit, venison." Reason being I can shoot my Parker off hand better than I can a crossbow and it's much easier to walk around with in the woods. It's great to have choices, it's fun to take a deer with all of them, and to each his own.
 It doesn't matter much to me, and keeping the seasons the way it is now is fine, but I feel bad for my older hunting buddies who can no longer draw a bow but live to hunt. In thier 70's and on is pushing 90, they stay home opening day, and miss out on all of those beatiful October days in the deer woods. 

Good hunting,
GM
>>>-------->

Cupcakes dont care about older folks or anyone less dedicated to the sport or less physically able than themselves.  They dont want those folks getting bucks that they dont deserve.  A "cupcake" is a compound bow user who opposes the use of a crossbow during any portion of archery season.

Edited by wolc123

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Cupcakes dont care about older folks or anyone less dedicated to the sport or less physically able than themselves.  They dont want those folks getting bucks that they dont deserve.  A "cupcake" is a compound bow user who opposes the use of a crossbow during any portion of archery season.

A cupcake is someone who wants the rules changed to fit their inability to do what it takes to follow the rules ,you know that already though. Next year will be here soon enough , the movement is slowly gaining traction and crossguns will be legal for everyone soon enough.  

• Like 4

If they'd propose full inclusion for seniors and relax the disability requirement I'd be all for it and I don't know anyone that wouldn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Ha. Ha. ;). That hurt, now you ought to be ashamed reverting to name calling. I do love cupcakes though !! 

BTW. I'm all for those, who cannot physically use a bow, using a crossbow. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If they'd propose full inclusion for seniors and relax the disability requirement I'd be all for it and I don't know anyone that wouldn't

Amen . Killed my first buck with a bow in the ‘80s, couldn’t draw back my bow anymore starting a few years ago , so I bought a crossbow . Then I was fortunate enough to find a used Elite that I could draw again , so that gave me the whole season again , I plan on seeing if I can still draw it today . A few years ago my Military Press was 145#, yesterday my shoulder work out was done with rubber bands ... those “ hurt shoulders “ aren’t for sissy’s .

Getting the medical release in NYS is next to impossible, “ oh you are capable of using a breathing tube? “ no crossbow for you .

A year or two ago I helped out the Crossbow group signing up members at an outdoor show . The average age of guys I talked to / signed up were all well past the age to collect SS , and all grateful to either stay in the game or get back into it .

Its sad to simply cast aside our most experienced and dedicated hunters ,because they , well they aged , and or wore out their body working hard through their life .

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Getting the medical release in NYS is next to impossible, “ oh you are capable of using a breathing tube? “ no crossbow for you .

This is absolute BS. Crossbow supporters should break that off the total agenda and fight hard, I think all hunters would be behind them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

Good hunting,
GM
>>>-------->

I'm curious how you know who and where hunters are when orange isn't worn during archery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm curious how you know who and where hunters are when orange isn't worn during archery.

Well he said they take weekend rides, so I’m guessing he’s going by trucks in the access lots or parked along the road , same thing I do driving to the farm . 

Im always saying things to myself like , “ that guy gets in early, nobody hunts this spot anymore , way less hunters around etc. “ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

which is what 90% of anti-crossbow hunters support. But in todays age we focus on the loud minority. 

25 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Well he said they take weekend rides, so I’m guessing he’s going by trucks in the access lots or parked along the road , same thing I do driving to the farm . 

Im always saying things to myself like , “ that guy gets in early, nobody hunts this spot anymore , way less hunters around etc. “ 

yeah that's what i assume too, but i think road scouting is very deceiving. The 3 spots I hunt you'd never see a single truck, yet I know gangs hunt and push them both. When I hunted state land i even had a spot where it'd be hard to find my truck. And 1 truck could hold 5 or so hunters. Just not a big fan of anecdotal evidence.

55 minutes ago, Rowdy10 said:

Crossbow archery is cupcake archery -
But it's Fine for elderly and disabled and fine with 2 week crossbow season in place now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if someone simply wants to use a crossbow in early October? That doesn't meet your particular standards for those people? 

Edited by Steuben Jerry

9 hours ago, Belo said:

Many areas close to my house have VERY limited access points to get onto state land. On the days I'm working, I'll drive by some of those areas before and after work, so I have a really good idea of who is hunting that area.  On days I'm hunting, I'll be in the same area, so I have a fairly good idea on how many hunters are out in that area during all phases of the season. Why do you ask?  I could care less if guys are hunting with crossbow, long bow or compound during bow season.  I just concentrate on what I enjoy and the game at hand.

1 hour ago, Rowdy10 said:

That's fine as long as they are elderly and or disabled-problem is it gets shady and a lotta people will be abusing the fine line by claiming they can't do compound - that's why it's so hard to implement but it's fine with me
It's understood that there is a small group of dedicated crossbow people who will treat it as close to archery at it can get but the fact is most will be the ones that just don't want to practice archery ,they will get crossbow and pretty much use it like a shotgun ,not practicing with it ,do stalking all over and shoot alert deer because they think crossbow is the shit (it's easier to aim that's where differences pretty much end -when compared to very efficient compound archer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So because you personally don’t approve of, or believe in a particular thing, those that do are inferior and should be prevented from doing what they want?

Got it, you’re Andrew Cuomo. 

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3