Sausage is done!

BowmanMike

I made about 56# of sausage today,six different kinds. This was the first year i did it by myself in my own kitchen. I have to say i like doing it that way. Last year i did it with friends,pre covid and it was fun but i like being able to control the whole process. I bought better ingredients and tried some new recipes. The new apple recipe is great. I cant wait to try the bratwurst and chorizo.

I hope to be able to share some of the sausage with friends and family this summer.

• Like 4

i def enjoy doing this too.  Usually i try something different every year as well as a couple regulars.  Have made summer sausage, apple breakfast, country breakfast, maple Breakfast, sage, Jalepeno and cracked pepper, smoked, polish, and this coming season i have seasonings for Foothills Moonshine sausage and looking forward to making it.   

https://www.waltonsinc.com/foothills-moonshine-flavored-sausage-seasoning

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I made about 56# of sausage today,six different kinds. This was the first year i did it by myself in my own kitchen. I have to say i like doing it that way. Last year i did it with friends,pre covid and it was fun but i like being able to control the whole process. I bought better ingredients and tried some new recipes. The new apple recipe is great. I cant wait to try the bratwurst and chorizo.

I hope to be able to share some of the sausage with friends and family this summer.

We love doing our own as well. Did you use packaged mixes or from scratch?

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We love doing our own as well. Did you use packaged mixes or from scratch?

All are made from scratch. I really like controlling what goes into it. I bought a pork butt from a local farmer that just butchered some pigs,it was never frozen. 

A big reason why i hunt and butcher my own deer is quality control and being involved in the process. And usually i get enough meat for the whole year and some to share.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

All are made from scratch. I really like controlling what goes into it. I bought a pork butt from a local farmer that just butchered some pigs,it was never frozen. 

A big reason why i hunt and butcher my own deer is quality control and being involved in the process. And usually i get enough meat for the whole year and some to share.

We're in the same boat. I've had some mixes that are good but we prefer to do our own. 

We've done

bologna

summer sausage

couple different kinds of snack sticks

4 flavors of hotdogs

pepperoni

Italian sausage

smoked jalapeno sausage

then a host of jerkies

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We're in the same boat. I've had some mixes that are good but we prefer to do our own. 

We've done

bologna

summer sausage

4 flavors of hotdogs

pepperoni

Italian sausage

smoked jalapeno sausage

then a host of jerkies

That is a great list. My buddy makes summer sausage but his homemade smoker gave them a creosote flavor,so i quit participating in that. He now has an electric smoker,i may have to jump back on the wagon...

Someone at work brought some venison summer sausage and it was amazing.

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We've done

bologna

summer sausage

4 flavors of hotdogs

pepperoni

Italian sausage

smoked jalapeno sausage

then a host of jerkies

ive done both used mixes and homeade.  Its hard to pass on the amish spices i get.  All premixed and very good for a couple of bucks.  But i do usually add in or make a twist to it. Like i will buy cracked pepper spice from the Amish store but then add in Jalepenos and green tabasco, or one of my favs now is to combine smoked sausage, maple and add in some black pepper and sage for a country style sausage.  Smoked sausage i alwasy add in a 1/2 an Octoberfest beer etc.  Make it to your taste.  But this year i did buy the moonshine breakfast sausage from Walrtons to try - it sounds interesting and also the package helps the first time for a list of ingredients to play with

• Like 2