Hunting Cabin Questions

bfahy13

Im going this Sunday to look at a few pieces of property with my father. 

The one place we really like has been for sale for a long time, and for some reason it raises a red flag to me. Its 56 acres, at the end of a dead end road, and borders a state forest. It is on the top of a mountain, but has a cabin with electric. There is no well or septic, but again it does have electric ran to the small cabin. 

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on why it may still be available? Is it just undesirable, or cud there be some hidden legal issues id be responsible for regarding a cabin that probably was built with out a permit? 

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/325-Mercer-Mtn_Canaan_NY_12029_M32803-02164

What's the price? Everything sells for the right pricing.

You could check with the town about the cabin. Some folks are turned off about a right of way, especially if it's long and hard to maintain. Think about that snow we had just before opening day of rifle a couple of years ago.

Do your due diligence, and like I said, everything sells for the right price.

2 minutes ago, First-light said:

Look up the tax bill online and see if it being taxed correctly. If that cabin is at the way top it's not ideal because of snow and mud issues. Surprised it has electric.

Based on what im seeing online, the cabin is less than 500' from the paved road. The cabin is  however at the highest point of the property, so I guess we will see sunday how bad access is 

• Like 1

If the cabin is legal, there would be a CO for it. The listing agent should be able to answer that question. 
What is land selling for per acre in the area?  If the cabin isn’t legal, it shouldn’t be factored into the price. I wouldn’t think that the utility company would bring power to the cabin without a permit. 
Is the road a ‘seasonal’ road?  If it is, it could be hard to get to once the snow starts piling up. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bfahy13 said:

Im going this Sunday to look at a few pieces of property with my father. 

The one place we really like has been for sale for a long time, and for some reason it raises a red flag to me. Its 56 acres, at the end of a dead end road, and borders a state forest. It is on the top of a mountain, but has a cabin with electric. There is no well or septic, but again it does have electric ran to the small cabin. 

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on why it may still be available? Is it just undesirable, or cud there be some hidden legal issues id be responsible for regarding a cabin that probably was built with out a permit? 

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/325-Mercer-Mtn_Canaan_NY_12029_M32803-02164

i would guess the price is why at 200K the price per acre is $4000.  Not including the cabin.  So if its bad shape then its just something to get rid of. At the original price of 300,000 thats 6 K and acre. 

Seasonal road , access issues is it actually a road or row? Around here that price is high ,but it all depends where it is what timber looks like if mature you maybe able to recoup a large.portion of what you spend. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

As for the electric , see if there is a meter and where is it located . If it doesn't have a meter , there is something illegal about the hook-up .

Running electirc up is not a big deal, its only about money :)

I know for fact where electric was run from the pole at road side up a hill around 2200 ft in a trench and then connected via transformer and meter.

The road leading up to it is a town maintained road. Actually full of beautiful top dollar homes. The meter is in place, looks like maybe they had an rv there before they put this up? As for land in the area, its anywhere from 5-10k an acre in the surrounding town, and even higher in the county just based off Zillow adds. I own a small skid steer so I guess if the access is a pain I could just leave that there for the winter and trailer my snowmobile with me when it snows? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, left field said:

You may be looking at 10-15K for a well and possibly more for a septic, though you could go with an alternative setup for grey and black water.

Plus whatever you want to do to the cabn.

Lowball them and see how they respond.

Exactly. Well would 1000% be the first order of business. I almost worry that the fact we are on a hill may mean it would need to be even deeper, but who knows? And as far as cabin work, id be doing it all myself. Just nice to start with a roof over your head so we can sleep a night while working  

• Like 1

There’s the well, piping the water to the house and all the interior plumbing that would have to happen. 

Then you need to do something with the waste water. 

Unless you really love this parcel or area, I have to think you could get land and build a nice little cabin for 250K. 

9 minutes ago, left field said:

There’s the well, piping the water to the house and all the interior plumbing that would have to happen. 

Then you need to do something with the waste water. 

Unless you really love this parcel or area, I have to think you could get land and build a nice little cabin for 250K. 

We need a place within 2hrs of home, to justify owning it. And that means 2hours from nyc, so finding anything is tough in the areas we've been looking. I can handle most all of the construction with myself and a few of my employees, so basically my only out of pocket costs will be materials. 

1 minute ago, left field said:

I'm in the city and my Catskills' place is 3 hours from the GWB. I used it solely as a weekend place for a few years. 

I found that prices and hicksters begin to drop off at the 2 1/2 hour mark.

+1. With all the covid boom in real estate surrounding NYC, the extra 30-60min. may be a huge difference for @bfahy13

Typically, but last year the prices around me shot up by 50% - 100%. Places that couldn't sell for years were snapped up sight unseen for twice asking with no inspection and all cash. 

I think there were some regrets once this hard winter set in and people learned what life is like in an uninsulated farmhouse. 

I'm hoping to see a few fire sales this year.

• Like 1

I cant say anything about the price, it is so dependent on where it is....It would be outrageous for where I am (tug hill). I would call neighbors and be honest...you are looking at the property, and inq. about any security, water, etc. issues. I did so when I bought, and the local folks were fine to talk about it. It wouldnt hurt to inquire with the local police barracks about particular problems. They are everywhere, but some areas worse than others.