Hunting Cabin Questions

bfahy13

5 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Hmm, I may be out of synch with current values! That would be a hell of a return on my purchase price. 

This is more like it.  But I know land values sure differ by area but this is an example of what I would look at for that price in our area ....https://www.landwatch.com/cortland-county-new-york-recreational-property-for-sale/pid/409007908

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This is more like it.  But I know land values sure differ by area but this is an example of what I would look at for that price in our area ....https://www.landwatch.com/cortland-county-new-york-recreational-property-for-sale/pid/409007908

Id love a place like this, but between working 60 hours a week and my brother having a new born, we would be lucky to get there 3 times a year in the non hunting season if we had to drive that far.  

Canaan,NY, the one north of the Berkshire spur of the thruway in 2 hrs from NYC?

Dang, you drive faster then me on the Taconic.

With this Corvid, prices are crazy high within 3 hrs from NY.  I'm working one job that's a goat path to get to the house and requires 4wd in the dry. Folks are sinking $1 mil in the place. 

9 hours ago, bfahy13 said:

It was listed originally in 2019 for like 299 and is down to just under 200 now. 

Id be tempted to check with the town, but if they aren't aware, I don't think id want to alert them to anything. 

Here is most everything you need to know . Your listing says its off market right now . Dont know why but it says that . It was listed in 2017 for $349,000 but never sold and there is nothing showing any new listing or price drop to under $200,000 .

The land is 50 acres with a 200 sqft cabin and a shed that are listed as being on the land as an " Improvement "  but from what I see , they dont list any value . Here is your county tax card for that address . A couple from Florida own it . Looks like they purchased it in 1969 but it doesn't show the purchase price . Im sure it was dirt cheap then.  Click the buttons on the left side to view the info .

https://columbia.sdgnys.com/propdetail.aspx?swis=102400&printkey=06900000010180000000

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 2

Are these crazy land prices a result of a pandemic induced mass migration of population out of the city ?
City rentals must be dropping in cost, or am I missing something ?

Yes. Nearly every house sold in many towns of Westchester turns into a bidding war and people are paying cash in full without even stepping foot inside the House. This has been going on almost a year now. My next door neighbors sold a few months ago. 34 showings the first weekend and over 20 offers. It’s madness.

NYC lost millions of people but gained them right back with people with lower incomes. Everything is changing very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yes, very representative of the area around Steuben county as well.

My neighbor paid $125000 for the 68 acre parcel next to mine. It has a 26x26 cabin in need of repairs. No electric or water on a seasonal road. We both wanted the property because it borders each parcel. He ended up getting it knowing the owner much better than me. Steuben county near Avoca. 

Edited by First-light

This is a big part of the reason that I sold my camp. Got double what I paid 4 years ago. I figure once things calm down a big chunk of there city people
Will be selling these homes and I’ll get back in at or below where I started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't jump into the hype that the farther you go from the city (NYC) the cheaper the land, those days are long over.  I live in Brooklyn and my camp is in central NY, 3 1/2 hrs from NYC and the prices per acre continue to climb to crazy prices. There are deals to be had but very hard to find. Glad we bought when we did. Could easily quadruple our money now. Once a seasonal area, seems alot more homes are now occupied year round since the pandemic. Being able to work remotely has been a big game changer.  

13 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Don't jump into the hype that the farther you go from the city (NYC) the cheaper the land, those days are long over.  I live in Brooklyn and my camp is in central NY, 3 1/2 hrs from NYC and the prices per acre continue to climb to crazy prices. There are deals to be had but very hard to find. Glad we bought when we did. Could easily quadruple our money now. Once a seasonal area, seems alot more homes are now occupied year round since the pandemic. Being able to work remotely has been a big game changer.  

A person just needs to drive another 3 hrs north to find cheap land.;)

Just got back. Beautiful property surrounded by a state forest. I know if you own property bordering dep/dec land they will offer you fair marked value for any land you are willing to sell them. Would the state offer the same? Only reason I know is our current camp we sold 10 acres to dep and they actually offered us the same money per acre as the bought the 20 acre lot behind us for. 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:56 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes. Nearly every house sold in many towns of Westchester turns into a bidding war and people are paying cash in full without even stepping foot inside the House. This has been going on almost a year now. My next door neighbors sold a few months ago. 34 showings the first weekend and over 20 offers. It’s madness.

NYC lost millions of people but gained them right back with people with lower incomes. Everything is changing very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I looked at a ranch house , 1800 sf., yesterday , 9 acres , total gut job, doors windows siding kitchen baths floors everything 

Asking 170k... 40 showings in two days .. bids were over 210k and agent said today at 4 it’s off the market and all bids have to be in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

I looked at a ranch house , 1800 sf., yesterday , 9 acres , total gut job, doors windows siding kitchen baths floors everything 

Asking 170k... 40 showings in two days .. bids were over 210k and agent said today at 4 it’s off the market and all bids have to be in

These realtors are making a killing .. in my area houses are selling from 350 to 450k in a day ..

As fast as they go in the market .. most end at thousands over asking .

My agent closes two a week..avg

Even after expenses and split its like 10k per house ..

I think it’s going to crash .. but when who knows 

• Like 2