Hunting Cabin Questions

bfahy13

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

@bfahy13 I found this. under an hour from NYC and 740 acres along with a house. Listing says $100M, but I think you can get it for like $92M.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/granite-springs/159-mahopac-ave-granite-springs-ny-10527--2009035030

I think I could convince my wife to handle that at 5%

• Like 1

I started with 25 acres and a weekender cabin with no septic or well but had electric deep in the woods.  It took me years to find this property as I had some requirements.  Wanted to be in woods and see no neighbors. Had to be no more than an hour from Rochester as I had an elderly father and a job that put me on call 24/7   We paid $59k for it which at the time I felt I slightly overpaid but it fit criteria.  Borders State land and hunting is good

Property did surround a nice log home with five acres.  When ended up buying that six years ago for $130k which was a bargain but they had to act quick and actually had issues with abstract and deed.  They were claiming a small parcel which we own and had better title to.  It pays to have an exceptional attorney in your back pocket.

Last year a five acre parcel on the dirt road near the farm lane  that goes into my property sold for $130K.  This was pre- pandemic.  This property is a single wide with crap tack onto it.  I thought they were crazy to spend that for what they got.  

Pandemic starts.  A lot of the hunting camps get occupied around my area and it isn't hunting season.  A lot of them start selling for crazy prices.  $4,000 an acre isn't uncommon.  Seems Amish around me are selling their properties.

• Like 1

this would be paradise!  I am willing to manage it for a small income and insurance if anyone has the capitol after todays market rally......https://www.landwatch.com/lewis-county-new-york-recreational-property-for-sale/pid/338785009

2k acres is a ton of land. I’m surprise a group of guys or hunting club hasn’t snatched that up considering the low price.

Upon further read it seems the Gallo family is keeping the best 50 acres!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

2k acres is a ton of land. I’m surprise a group of guys or hunting club hasn’t snatched that up considering the low price.

Upon further read it seems the Gallo family is keeping the best 50 acres!

You don't see tracts of land like that avail except out west.  Like you said surprised a group from Jersey or NYC hasn't grabbed it as a getaway.  But a lot of work would be involved I'm sure to get a cabin up there and electricity may not be avail.   But I have an old flame love affair with Lewis co from my younger days.  It would be right up my alley and I would prob never be seen again...

You don't see tracts of land like that avail except out west.  Like you said surprised a group from Jersey or NYC hasn't grabbed it as a getaway.  But a lot of work would be involved I'm sure to get a cabin up there and electricity may not be avail.   But I have an old flame love affair with Lewis co from my younger days.  It would be right up my alley and I would prob never be seen again...

Still seems odd the family is keeping 50 acres or so. Wonder why