Red Dot Scopes

Lomax

So looking at red dot scope’s for a new gun and have never had one or used one or have experience with one doing some research but would appreciate anybody’s opinion on them specifically what works best for a Turkeys gun set up.   Would appreciate any advice or info

I put one of these on my 301 Turkey Special 20GA.

https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-Red-Dot-Sight-Gobble-Dot-Dual-Color/dp/B001R6G9L0

I put the scope on after the 2020 Spring season. I have it set up with a nice pattern from 3" Winchester Double X Turkey Load #4 shot. I also have it dialed in to group slugs inside 4" at 75 yards. I've put probably 40 rounds downrange with the scope and it stays sighted with the shotgun recoil.

• Like 1

I'm doing the same as you OP, just putting together a dedicated turkey gun.  One thing that I had concern with is a lot of the red dots out there have highly reflective coatings on the lenses and shine like crazy.  For that reason I went with the Vortex strikefire II, with this optic you can get one of the waffle covers for the lens to mask any potential glare.

I have had mine on my mossberg 835 and browning bps for turkey for decades now, need to replace battery every so often but with today's extremely tight groups you need an accurate aiming point , it's nice they have no parallax,  where the dot is is the center of your pattern, simply use a couple of light loads at under 20 yards to boresite it in and then go back to expected range and dial it in.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys @DirtTime do you like the round scope type is it bulky on top of the gun as it seems a bit bigger than say the vortex strike force or venom.  The gun came with  A good set of fiber optic sights does your scope allow you to see through the bottom to use them if the scope is not working or did you pull them right off the gun if you had them.  I would prefer to leave mine on  
@Rack Attackwas looking at the Vortex Strike force and venom as they are lower profile did you get a 3MO a or a 6MO a dot.  As far as turkey goes unfamiliar with waffle blinders if you can please post a pic of them.  Have you ever used the red dot scope to go waterfowling or pheasant small game hunting with gather it would work for all?

@G-Mani gather it’s not to different to make adjustments to the dot out to 50+yds or say similar to regular scope.? Guessing after bore sighting it shouldn’t take but a few shots to get dot on POI at 50.  12 ga 

only thing I have to figure out now is how much different the 3 inch tungsten loads will hit versus the sighting in vs Winchester super X turkey shells.  The tungsten ones are expensive to sight in May have to bite the bullet

40 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Thanks guys @DirtTime do you like the round scope type is it bulky on top of the gun as it seems a bit bigger than say the vortex strike force or venom.  The gun came with  A good set of fiber optic sights does your scope allow you to see through the bottom to use them if the scope is not working or did you pull them right off the gun if you had them.  I would prefer to leave mine on  
@Rack Attackwas looking at the Vortex Strike force and venom as they are lower profile did you get a 3MO a or a 6MO a dot.  As far as turkey goes unfamiliar with waffle blinders if you can please post a pic of them.  Have you ever used the red dot scope to go waterfowling or pheasant small game hunting with gather it would work for all?

@G-Mani gather it’s not to different to make adjustments to the dot out to 50+yds or say similar to regular scope.? Guessing after bore sighting it shouldn’t take but a few shots to get dot on POI at 50.  12 ga 

only thing I have to figure out now is how much different the 3 inch tungsten loads will hit versus the sighting in vs Winchester super X turkey shells.  The tungsten ones are expensive to sight in May have to bite the bullet

No, I did not use see through mounts, I used the rail that came with the gun. I did not remove the front blade iron sight. My 301 is a smaller framed single shot, so the scope seems big on it. But a normal size pump or semi it will look fine. I couldn't honestly see a valid reason to be able to see the base sight on the gun using a red dot with not magnification. There really isn't a need for both. Leaving your sights on should not interfere with the scope though.

• Thanks 1

I’ve never liked the idea of a red dot scope, bulk and weight for nothing. I use reflex sights on my turkey guns. One has a leupold delta point and the other has a trijicon RMR. Both have worked very well. The RMR is really nice because you never have to worry about batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention=4789]Buckmaster7600[/mention] I’ve been looking at different sights for the past couple days.  I am guessing this is the one you’re talking about looks like a real good one what MOA did you go with for turkey? 

6B586A9A-DED4-4023-9CC5-B50F0D2D091A.thumb.png.230d754020538005374031e88acd498e.png

That’s the one, 6moa.

I like it, batteries make me nervous so I have that one on my spare turkey gun and use the trijicon.

• Thanks 1

I had a Delta Point with the Delta (triangle) reticle. I loved it because you could be pretty precise with the tip of the triangle or fast with that size “dot”. I sold it a long while back and regret it. Had it on a GP100 for a time and it was fun.

• Thanks 1

Just got back in from shooting yeah with the fiber optic sights worked great deadly accurate but still leaning towards that browning Delta point sight as it’s a Browning shotgun as well seems like they would be a good fit but the vortex venom is a little cheaper so reading up on the reviews

does the trijicon not use batteries?  What is it the power source

So looking at red dot scope’s for a new gun and have never had one or used one or have experience with one doing some research but would appreciate anybody’s opinion on them specifically what works best for a Turkeys gun set up.   Would appreciate any advice or info

Can only speak about deer set up & it is awesome. I have a Leopold red dot scope & it is awesome.
I dropped my buck opening day!
Bottom line technology helps. I mean ya gotta know how to shoot but damn it gives you confidence.

• Like 1

Just got back in from shooting yeah with the fiber optic sights worked great deadly accurate but still leaning towards that browning Delta point sight as it’s a Browning shotgun as well seems like they would be a good fit but the vortex venom is a little cheaper so reading up on the reviews

The trijicon uses dual alum, tritium and fiber optics.

You should be able to get center point of impact  using 2 3/4 field loads, as that is barrel poa. The pattern you get from other shells will be different , once you get it sighted in then you can try other size and manufactures shells, you may find you gun prefer 2 3/4 over 3 in. And 4 shot over  5 or 6. It's all in what your gun likes  paying big bucks for a shell may not get you a better pattern than a cheaper shell it just cost more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 11:50 AM, Lomax said:

ARD.thumb.JPG.73a8735415b5fbf0a78dfbd9aa6cf0fc.JPG

This is what I was talking about.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, Lomax said:

I have a Vortex Venom on my Turkey Gun and i love it!

• Like 2

Stopped at Bass Pro in Auburn and they had the vortex venom A holosun

and the trijicon rmr But they didn’t have the Leuopold deltaPoint reflex sight I wanted to check out.

It’s looking like Amazon is going to get my business even though bass pro says they have they have good stock When they don’t

they had very little ammo which is been the case for the past couple of months It’s easier to get stuff online than it is in some of these big box stores oh well learning to change expectations

I've been using a Leupold 1-4X scope with a duplex reticle for years.  It works perfectly without any fuss.  I hate dealing with batteries.  It gathers enough light for me to be able to see the cross hairs and the bird easily.  Never moved an inch off zero since I installed it on the Mossberg 835 in 3.5 inch mag.