2021 garden thread

corydd7

Title says it all, covid has allowed many including myself and others on the forum to dive into gardening. Last year was my first growing from seed I believe I had 80 plants plus watermelon, corn, zucchini and sunflower from seed. 

I started my first tray of 60 plants today and plan on starting about 200 seeds. Hope I have the same luck as last year minus the deer entering and destroying my garden at the end of September. Looking forward to doing more canning as well, I'm inspired by Otto.

Screenshot_20210306-173409_Gallery.jpg

• Like 10

I’m getting everything ready for planting. Seeds, seed trays, starter soil and potting soil. I even got a grow light setup as a gift from the in laws this year. I’m about a month away from starting the seeds here in my part of the state. I’m looking at building a small greenhouse for future use and my wife is approving as it will get all the planting out of the sunroom in the house.

• Like 1

Thanks to last year’s success albeit hurricane and drought, I’m planning to try again this year. I’m still working from home so might go bigger this year. I’ll be buying plants though, not seeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Thanks to last year’s success albeit hurricane and drought, I’m planning to try again this year. I’m still working from home so might go bigger this year. I’ll be buying plants though, not seeds

Curious to see if you are as successful this year (I do hope so!). Are you planning on mixing in some manure or fertilizer to replenish the soil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to see if you are as successful this year (I do hope so!). Are you planning on mixing in some manure or fertilizer to replenish the soil?

Should I? I honestly don’t know much about it.

My plan was to do what I did last year but hope for more natural rain. Last year I beat up the ground and put this organic fast acting lime down. According to my tester is raised the pH nicely. My plan was do same exact thing again if pH is low.

572b944343f4a33c70d26cb37f7aedce.jpg8aa0284961c5d17285e09c20d0bcff32.jpg397dc29e2ff26a225c7803c2646e9729.jpg

• Like 1

Any organic debris mixed in is good, except for grass clippings. Composted manure is good too, but not too much and not too soon before planting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tell that to TCIiI, he loves putting grass clippings in his garden. He even talked me into doing it for a few days

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 46rkl said:

I’m getting everything ready for planting. Seeds, seed trays, starter soil and potting soil. I even got a grow light setup as a gift from the in laws this year. I’m about a month away from starting the seeds here in my part of the state. I’m looking at building a small greenhouse for future use and my wife is approving as it will get all the planting out of the sunroom in the house.

A greenhouse is the cats pyjamas. We have a 14'x25' one and just cleaned it out today. We can start lettuce and spinach and arugula and carrots in there this week. If you use a cold frame inside the greenhouse you get double protection and we can probably put our tomato starts out there in early May.

44 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

We are starting to get ready as well. Bought some vegetable and herb seeds just the other day. Debating on starting them inside and transplanting or just waiting and starting them outside first thing.

I start tomatoes, flowers and peppers and eggplant inside. Lettuce and beets and most herbs do better just started outside. Except for basil or parsley maybe. Pumpkins ot winter squash benefit from a head start inside as well. It sll depends on your space and scale. I wouldnt bother starting stuff inside if it is just one or two of each variety.

Just now, BowmanMike said:

I start tomatoes, flowers and peppers and eggplant inside. Lettuce and beets and most herbs do better just started outside. Except for basil or parsley maybe. Pumpkins or winter squash benefit from a head start inside as well. It all depends on your space and scale. I wouldnt bother starting stuff inside if it is just one or two of each variety.

Interesting, I grew up,with a garden , my parents garden was 150 x 70 . Corn , beans , melons ,strawberry’s ,tomatoes and on and on , Dad took vacation time to work it , Mom canned and we had a large chest freezer as well . We had a stand at the road where we sold a bit . 

I have little interest or room for a proper one now lol , oh it’s cool and all and I really get the self sufficient aspect .  I’ve got into canning , mostly meats , this year ill do vegetables but I’ll buy them at a farmers market . I’ll need close to 100 pounds just of tomato’s .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Should I? I honestly don’t know much about it.

My plan was to do what I did last year but hope for more natural rain. Last year I beat up the ground and put this organic fast acting lime down. According to my tester is raised the pH nicely. My plan was do same exact thing again if pH is low.

572b944343f4a33c70d26cb37f7aedce.jpg8aa0284961c5d17285e09c20d0bcff32.jpg397dc29e2ff26a225c7803c2646e9729.jpg

Add worm castings and thank me later.

Add worm castings and thank me later.

X2 it’s mostly what my mother in law replenishes with and her large garden is very successful year after year.

I just googled it. Organic fertilizer. Before the season, during, when? Thx

I'm like BowmanMike. I start my peppers, tomatoes, and some flowers inside. I do this so that I can get the peppers and tomatoes that I want, instead of whatever the nurseries have. Also, peppers seem to do a little better with a good start inside just to get a headstart on the hot weather.